Defiant Destiny Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I was baffled. Love? Already? I kept staring at the replica plant whilst I tried to get my thoughts in order. He loved her within, what, an hour? Impossible... Love could not grow so quickly, could it?

Slowly I brought my eyes to look at him again. His love for Cyrea radiated off his face.

Elias never looked at me like that. I frantically rubbed the white gem in my staff, but couldn't detect anything.

"The love you share with Cyrea is astonishing..." I whispered, trying not to let my emotions take over. "It's so pure... It's like nothing I have ever seen. I... I was amazed when I felt it through her markings. I always thought it to be impossible for such love to exist between a human and an immortal."

Again I looked into Dante's eyes and was truly touched by the sincerity of his love for Cyrea. A wave of envy crashed through me. I closed my eyes and suppressed it. How I longed for Elias to look at me like that, to be loved... I felt my tears gather behind my closed eyelids, and waited for them to waiver before opening my eyes.

"What's it like...to be loved by an immortal?" I asked him, praying my voice did not betray my emotions.

I saw Dante's eyes fill with compassion.

No... no... no! I did not succeed in keeping the pain inside... He saw it...

Dante stood up from his chair and answered my question with a genuine smile. "It's wonderful," he replied and slowly walked over to me, eyeing me intently.

"Have you ever been loved by an immortal?" he asked me.

I tensed at the ache in my heart and gripped my staff. "No..." I whispered, not succeeding to keep the pain out of my voice.

"Did you love him?" Dante asked me after a while.

I wanted to scream - yes! I loved him so much! But he betrayed me!

I sighed, taking a shaky breath to fuel my voice, but I did not trust it and just nodded instead.

Dante was no fool. I could feel his tentative compassion radiate off him when he came to stand next to me.

'Please, don't come any closer...' I thought frantically, trying not to cry, 'I don't know if I can stop my tears if you show me compassion...'

As if he was a Mind Reader, he stopped and thankfully kept his distance. That alone made me want to burst into tears - he was the first man to ever console me in centuries and I wordlessly kept him at bay.

"His name was Elias. He was the first angel I ever knowingly interacted with," I said with a voice less broken than I feared it would sound.

Dante remained still and listened.

"We were both healers on a Viking war fleet roaming the seas. Elias was so kind and caring for everyone, and had tremendous knowledge of the healing arts. He discovered I had a natural affinity to magic and taught me so much..."

I swallowed hard. I hoped the memories would hurt less than they did...

I took a deep breath to steady the shaking of my voice. "I fell in love with him. He was wonderful, amazing and so kind. The more he helped me delve into my magical abilities, the more I felt connected to him. I remember the day we stood on the upper deck, marveling at the sunrise, when he told me he believed we were soulmates." A small, sad smile framed my lips while I relived that moment. "I was ecstatic - I felt like a queen, with my king at my side."

I felt my smile fade and bitterly pressed my lips together. "But it was a lie. He wanted to bind me to him using ancient powerful magic, saying that would cement our bond, but he just wanted to use me for my magic." I gripped my staff tightly again, closing my eyes, trying not to let those memories break my heart again.

"We had almost finished the ritual that would bind us together, when I got a glimpse of his soul. I saw his true intent and the cruel lack of love for me and changed the ritual at the last moment."

A tear dribbled down my cheek.

"His soul was the first I took," I whispered.

More tears fell as I relived the most traumatic experience in my life. I couldn't even will my eyes to open when Dante took my staff from me and set it against the wall. He gently wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his warm embrace. I flinched at first, but when he slowly stroked my hair I could not hold back my pain any longer. With heartbreaking sobs I allowed Dante to pull me securely against his warm chest, his strong arms comforting me as my heart shattered into a million pieces yet again.

I cried, unable to stop the gut wrenching sobs from escaping my mouth. Even though I had promised myself time and again not to shed another tear for Elias, I was powerless to stop this torrent of tears in the sweet comfort of Dante's embrace. He just held me, consoling me with those sweet physical touches and allowed me to gather my heart and soul as they lay broken in my mind once again.

"It was criminal... What Elias did to you. It was selfish of him and cruel. Incredibly cruel," he whispered after a while, still stroking my hair and placed a gentle kiss on my head.

My breath hitched.

"You did well by taking his soul. The bastard deserved it," he added.

Dante's comment threw me into another sobbing fit. He didn't condemn my actions... Quite the opposite. He hugged me closer and placed another kiss on my head. It was wonderful to experience these kind and small intimate gestures, and I tentatively wrapped my arms around his chest, giving in to his embrace.

My fingers accidentally brushed over the markings on Dante's back.

I gasped, for I could feel...him. I felt Dante's soul!

I quickly withdrew my hands, but I felt Dante's face contract into a smile against my hair. "It's okay," he whispered, "go ahead."

Baffled, I raised my head to look him in his eyes. "Are you sure?" I asked softly.

Dante just smiled. "I want you to be able to trust me - I want you to know that I will not betray you, or control you. Go ahead." His thumb grazed my wet cheek.

Such unconditional trust...

With a slight blush on my cheeks I brought my hands back to his markings and wandered through Dante's soul, unobstructed, exploring what made him him. I saw that his human side harbored so much love for his succubi and friends, and that his demon side rose up to protect them with a deep and ferocious devotion. His demon contained some evil, but the strong sense of justice from Dante's human side balanced it out perfectly. Try as I might, I found no deceit, no betrayal - he was a good man.

I untangled myself from Dante's embrace and took a step back. My eyes needed a moment to focus on the here and now, and when they did I saw a smiling Dante look me over.

"So, did I pass the test?" Dante chuckled.

I blinked a few times in confusion. "Test? What test?" I asked, not understanding.

Dante chuckled again. "I'm sorry, it's a modern human expression. What I mean - are you satisfied with what you saw? Are you comfortable with trusting me?"

I gazed at Dante again, impressed by his casual relaxedness. It was as if he had no doubt in his mind that I would reply positively to his question.

"Yes... I... I think I can trust you, Dante," I managed to reply with a small smile.

Despite his seemingly carefree stance, I did detect a hint of relief in his body language. He took a deep breath to ask me something, but seemingly couldn't find the words. After a pause, he took another big breath and asked, "Do you believe in destiny, Eir?"

"Destiny? Uhm, no, not anymore..." I replied. Elias had long ridden me of that romantic notion.

Dante leaned back against the wall and crossed his arms. Again, he seemed to carefully pick his words. "I didn't believe in destiny either at first, but it's just that too many remarkable things have happened to dismiss them as coincidences anymore. For example, I believe that us, here, talking to each other - two human beings who became part of the immortal world - was something that was meant to happen, I believe we were meant to meet and that our paths were destined to intertwine on a road to something bigger than us."

Dante looked at me intently. "Too many times now I have heard or witnessed immortal occurings that are incomprehensibly strange for me as a human to digest, unfair and unjust. I feel a..." Dante paused, needing a moment to find his words. "I feel a very deep drive to help those immortals who do not feel like they fit in with the regular rabble - angels who are curious for sin, demons who dislike their obligation to be evil - and to create a safe space where they could experiment, to provide an alternative to the divine doctrine. I have come to believe that that is my destiny and, with the same conviction, I believe it is your destiny too, Eir."

He was silent, allowing his words to land and eagerly eyeing my reaction. Dante wanted to help immortals? And he needed me to do it? To say I was skeptical about his idea would be a polite understatement. Most immortals I had come across were anything but sweet and curious, and were hellbent on (ab)using me.

I frowned, needing a moment to think this over and let my gaze wander along Dante's face. He was a good man - I knew this, for I had seen the lack of deceit in his soul. I had no reason to question his belief regarding his discovered destiny, but that I had a part in it? I highly doubted it. If destiny wanted me to help immortals, it had done a poor job in motivating me as such...

A loud banging sound came from the big door in the hall below us. Dante turned his head and studiously peered at the wall towards the general direction the sound originated from.

"My ladies are back, and they brought Alexis," he said with a small smile. His gaze then shifted back to mine. "I know it's a lot to take in on your first day here on Earth. Please, think on my words for a while and we will discuss it later, if that's alright with you?" he asked me.

"Very well..." I replied. I wasn't sure how much thought I would need to spend on this notion, for not within the deepest recesses of my heart could I find even a shred of sympathy for immortals, except for Cyrea of course. But, I decided, it would be poor etiquette to instantly dismiss your host on your first day - especially when he allowed you to explore his soul and he turned out to be a good man.

"Let me get the door for them," Dante excused himself, and exited the room. "I'm sure Alexis will be thrilled to meet you too."

I took my staff and followed him onto the balcony overlooking the big hall. I saw how his succubi entered through the door and crushed Dante in an enthusiastic hug - one that he happily returned as his hands wandered all along their stunning curves and tight dresses - dresses that were so tight, they did not even have room for a key. I giggled at the thought, but froze when the chatter in the big hall fell silent and all were looking up at me. 'Damn those immortals and their sensitive hearing...' I thought mockingly. I sighed and prepared to go down the stairs to meet them.

Then I saw him.

The angel.

I instantly knew this was Alexis the Fallen. I had heard stories about him - about how he was once one of the most powerful angels in heaven, but had sinned and was severely punished by Samuel, the remaining Gatekeeper. I had heard his aura would be scarred somehow, but nothing prepared me for the heart breaking mutilation I saw before me. I tightly grasped my staff as my eyes glided over his flickering aura and his jagged wing. Oh, the horror! My breath hitched when I saw the small bones and tendons move as he walked towards the stairs. Tears came to my eyes and a deep and intense pain overtook my heart at seeing the damage done to this once so powerful and glorious angel.

Alexis slowly ascended the stairs and my eyes traveled across his body, making my heart rate shoot up and I felt my cheeks blush. He was lean yet muscular, and he moved with the grace of a large cat, never taking his eyes off me. My gaze reached his face, seeing how the loss of immortality made him age and left scars marring his skin. And, oh my, he was handsome! So very, very handsome. I found the laugh lines that framed his eyes and felt both relieved and happy to see that his ordeal had not broken his spirit.

Then my eyes met his and I simply forgot how to breathe. His pale blue eyes were gorgeous - so full of life, of happiness, almost completely overshadowing the pain and torment he had gone through.

I was completely and utterly mesmerized by this gorgeous angel.

Alexis ascended the stairs and stopped one step from the top. He was a tall man, and this way we could see eye to eye. For the longest time we just stood there, staring into each other's eyes. I simply couldn't look away. His eyes were a magnificent canvas filled with the most wonderful emotions for me to peruse.

"Good evening, my lady," he said with a rich, dreamy voice, and oh so cordial. I giggled shyly when he took my hand in his and brought it to his mouth to place a gentle kiss on my fingers, never losing eye contact.

My breath hitched from the courteous gesture and a large smile donned his handsome face when he noticed. "My name is Alexis," he said, still smiling that breathtaking smile of his. "It is a tremendous pleasure to meet you." He held my hand in his and let his thumb lightly graze my fingers.

For a moment I forgot everything... I even forgot how to breathe. "Good morning, kind sir. My name is Eir and it is an honor to meet you," I replied softly and curtsied.

Alexis smiled and kept stroking my fingers with his thumb. It was an innocent yet somehow intimate gesture, as a lover would do, and it made me blush even more.

"You have a wonderful voice, my lady. I would love to hear you sing some time, if you would indulge me," he spoke softly, still gazing into my eyes with his intense pale blue ones, and brought my hand up to his lips for another gentle kiss.

Now I was blushing profusely. What an exceptionally cordial and wonderful man Alexis was.

The gorgeous angel before me chuckled and ascended the last step so he stood beside me. He turned around to face the stairs and offered me his arm. I looped mine in his without thinking and we slowly walked down the stairs. I lifted my dress with my free hand, careful not to step on it and trip. I felt the muscles in his arm ripple as he guided me down the stairs and felt butterflies in my stomach.

"I know it has been a very long time since you've last visited Earth, and I would very much like to be your guide in reacquainting yourself, if you'll permit me," he told me softly. Alexis then chuckled, and added, "Dante's destiny can wait for a few more days while I steal you away from him, so you can reacquaint yourself with the wonders of human ingenuity."

I smiled warmly at Alexis. "I would like that very much," I replied as I felt my heart rate pick up at the thought of spending time with Alexis. The angel at my side was thoroughly pleased with my answer and he gently rested his free hand on mine that was looped through his arm. We descended the stairs in silence, the only thing I could hear was my heart pounding fast when Alexis had started stroking my hand again.

We reached the bottom of the stairs and walked over to Dante, Cyrea and Layla. As we approached them I felt Alexis pull me slightly closer to his body and we stopped a good few paces away from them. Somehow I now took offense to Cyrea's and Layla's sexy, incredibly revealing dresses. I narrowed my eyes at them and barely suppressed a hiss when they looked our way. Suddenly I realized my behavior was preposterous! I blushed in embarrassment and unconsciously leaned in to Alexis.

Alexis also seemed a little distant to his friends and he almost tried to hide me behind his body. "I have offered Eir to be her guide in this modern age of humanity, and she has graciously accepted," he stated while he kept rubbing my hand. I felt my cheeks burn again, but I ignored it and simply enjoyed the small, intimate gesture. "I will steal her away for a few days to get her reacquainted and comfortable here, and then we can continue pursuing our destinies," Alexis declared. While he was being polite in his wordings, his tone made it clear that this was not up for discussion.

My gaze glided over Dante and I saw him frown whilst deep in thought. Cyrea on the other hand was silently ecstatic - she wore a huge smile on her face and I could tell from her body language she really wanted to hug me, but made a conscious effort not to. She glanced at Dante who suddenly gasped and looked at her with wide, surprised eyes. Cyrea's smile turned even bigger when she turned her head towards us and sighed happily. Dante followed suit, wearing a baffled smile. "Sure, no problem. Take all the time you need," he said with a wide smile then looked over to Alexis and gave him a slight nod.

Alexis nodded in return and led me to the front door. Confused, I looked behind us to see a happy Cyrea and Dante, flanked by a confused Layla watching us leave. I turned to Alexis, who was still wearing that big smile of his.

"What just happened?" I whispered to him while we made our way to the front door.

Alexis chuckled and turned his head to me. "Because they are mated, they can have private conversations," he replied softly and leaned in to whisper in my ear. "Luckily Cyrea has very keen social skills for a demon. I'm guessing she told Dante to let us have a few days together so you can settle in."

I shivered in delight when I felt his breath on my ear, and goosebumps broke out all over my body when his cheek touched mine. "I would very much like to spend a few days with you..." I whispered and felt my treacherous blush return.