Fate or Circumstances

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Christopher was walking near the auditorium when he heard the laughter. There was one laugh though that stood out.

"That laugh... Sounds like... No it couldn't be..." Christopher thought.

He looked around and saw the group of people heading into the Auditorium. There standing amongst them laughing was Daisy Nelson. The girl he was madly in love with so long ago. The smile on her face grabbed him. She looked so happy. His thoughts immediately travelled to when she smiled like that at him. At least the woman looked like Daisy. From the distance he was away he couldn't quite be sure.

Christopher instinctively began to walk towards the auditorium. He could see signs outside saying that there was an Economic Conference on in the Auditorium for the next couple of days. He was about to enter when his phone rang. It was the colleague he was meeting at the University. Christopher explained that he had to park further away than usual and that he would be there in a few minutes. He immediately walked away from the auditorium, moving towards his meeting.

His meeting was very productive as the experiments at the University had proved that they were heading down the right track. Christopher was pleased and took copious notes to bring back to Dearborn the next day. After having lunch their meeting continued, wrapping up at 3:30pm.

As they were finishing Christopher mentioned that he thought he saw an old friend going into the Economics Conference. His colleague then offered Christopher a pass to get into the conference as all the faculty at the University had been given passes to attend if they chose to. Christopher thanked him and took the pass.

Christopher hurried back across campus to the Auditorium and entered the building. The room was 2/3rds filled and the lights were on. Nobody was presenting and people were standing and chatting. Christopher realised it was obviously between presentations. He scanned the room looking to see Daisy. Maybe he had been mistaken after all. He couldn't see her or anyone who looked like her.

Just then the lights dimmed and Christopher quickly took a vacant seat towards the back of the room. The MC took to the microphone.

"For our last presentation of the day, to discuss the Economic recovery in Australia after the pandemic, please welcome Miss Daisy Nelson M.Ec. from the University of New South Wales."

The audience applauded as Daisy took to the lectern. Christopher sat forward in his chair. He watched in fascination as Daisy began to speak. She looked amazing. Her hair was tied up and she looked so professional. She was wearing glasses that he had never seen her wear before but they truly suited her. The way she spoke was with such enthusiasm, such passion for her subject. She used PowerPoints', videos and charts to emphasise her points. Her good humour shone through with some well-directed jokes at various points of her presentation. If she was nervous she certainly didn't show it. He just couldn't believe she was here.

As Daisy finished her 45 minute presentation the delegates applauded and Daisy looked visibly relieved. The MC then announced that the formal part of the day was finished and the following day would start at 8:30am. Daisy was congratulated by her colleagues from Australia and other delegates went over to talk to her.

Christopher had initially been in two minds about trying to see her. Even though they had broken up six years earlier, the pain he felt over their breakup came back a little as soon as he realised that it was her. After her brilliant presentation however he wanted to see her and say hello. Christopher considered his next move. He decided that rather than move down from his seat and see her near the stage, he chose to wait outside and catch her before she left.

He walked outside the auditorium with the majority of the attendees. People began to disperse, heading to various buses parked nearby ready to take them to their hotels. Just then Christopher's phone rang and looking down he could see it was his boss. He had to answer the call.

As they discussed a crucial detail they were working on, Christopher missed seeing Daisy leave the building. She walked out with her colleagues towards their bus. He turned just in time to see Daisy boarding her bus. Finishing his call Christopher cursed at missing the opportunity to see her. He noticed from the sign on the front of the bus that Daisy was staying at the 'Radisson' right in the heart of Lansing.

He raced to find his car and plugged the hotel details into his sat nav. It was only 6 miles away but the afternoon traffic was heavy. When he arrived there he saw that the bus was still parked in the front of the hotel. Fortuitously a spot opened up just out the front and Christopher quickly parked his car.

Going into the lobby he looked around trying, hoping to see Daisy. Just then Christopher saw that she was just getting into a lift with her colleagues.

"Daisy, DAISY" Christopher called, somewhat in desperation.

Daisy turned and saw Christopher. A look of surprise and disbelief crossed her face.

"Christopher... Is that really you?" Daisy asked loudly as she exited the lift and walked towards him.

"Hi Daisy." Christopher said, slightly out of breath, with a happy smile on his face.

"What...What... How... How are you Christopher?"

"I'm good thanks Daisy. How are you?"

"I'm good. W...What are you doing here?"

"I saw you give your presentation this afternoon and it was really great. And... Well I just had to see you again."

"You saw me speak?" Daisy asked sounding even further surprised.

"Yes I did. You did so well." Christopher grinned.

"Since when have you been interested in economic recovery efforts in Australia?" Daisy giggled.

"Since I thought I saw you entering the auditorium this morning."

Christopher went on to tell her how he saw her outside the auditorium and how he recognised her laugh. Daisy's blushed a little as he said this.

The conversation lulled for just a second so Christopher filled the silence.

"I don't know if you are doing anything but would you like to come out with me for a coffee, a drink, dinner perhaps?" he babbled, not really sure of himself.

Daisy smiled her gorgeous smile at him for the first time in 6 years.

"Christopher that sounds great. It would be good to catch up... Do you mind if I go and get changed though?"

"No not at all."

"Ok. I'll see you back down her in... 15 minutes?"

"That's great. I'll be down here waiting." Christopher said with a smile.

Daisy looked a little coy as she headed toward the lift. Once inside she looked and saw that Christopher was still looking in her direction. She smiled at him as the lift doors closed.

Her heart was pounding as she got to her room. She couldn't believe he was here, actually here. As Daisy changed her clothes her mind raced. She had often wondered what it would be like if they saw each other again. While they hadn't been together for a long time back then, she truly loved Christopher. If the worldwide lockdown from the virus hadn't occurred... well who knows.

She had expected to see Christopher at a family gathering at some time, as her step mother was his cousin, but somehow they hadn't crossed paths. Now he was here. Here of all places. It felt surprisingly nice to see him again. Her mind churned with questions for him.

Finishing getting changed Daisy touched up her make-up and sprayed on a little perfume before heading back down to the lobby. She was wearing jeans and a t-shirt as the weather was warm. She had noticed Christopher was wearing jeans and a polo shirt, so she didn't want to look out of place with him. She undid her hair, letting it tumble down around her shoulders.

Arriving back in the lobby Christopher was sitting there waiting for her. Seeing him made Daisy instantly smile and he did the same. They headed out of the hotel into the warm late afternoon sun together.

As they walked Daisy looked at Christopher.

"Christopher, we still have no secrets from each other do we?"

He immediately remembered that they had this as part of their earlier relationship. He looked at Daisy and smiled.

"There never has been any and never will be any."

Daisy smiled as he said this.

"So please tell me ... What are you doing here in Michigan?"

Christopher just laughed. As they walked he told her about working for Ford and his stint in Detroit. He talked about having his meeting at the University, how he heard her laugh and the details about going to see her. Daisy smiled while listening to him speak. Christopher had always been sincere, but now he seemed even more so. She was so pleased he had a career he liked and apparently was good at.

After walking and talking for a while they came across a micro-brewery which served food as well. Daisy was dying to taste some real food as she had only eaten at the hotel and the University since she had arrived in America. They went inside and sat on opposite sides of a booth. Enjoying some very nice beer and good food they continued chatting like the old friends they were.

She told him all about her Doctorate program and the conference. He listened fascinated at how much Daisy had done since they had stopped talking to each other. He told her about being head hunted as soon as he left Cambridge, working in England and his subsequent move to Germany. They talked about family and he caught up with all the news from regarding his cousin in Australia.

He then asked "So I imagine you have ... Well you are going out with someone aren't you?"

"Yes... I have been going out with Alex for the past 10 months. I moved in with him 4 months ago... He's a really nice guy." Daisy replied. She pulled out her phone and showed Christopher a picture of the two of them, telling him how they met.

"I'm sure you have a girlfriend too?" Daisy asked. Somehow she really cared to find out the answer.

"Yes I do, back in Germany. This is a picture of Katerina." He replied, showing her a picture on his phone.

He told Daisy about Katerina, how they met and were planning to move in together before he got posted to Detroit. He then lamented about how long distance relationships sucked.

Daisy smiled sympathetically at him. In that moment his eyes caught hers and they looked at each other. She began to blink before averting her gaze and she looked out of the window. Christopher too could feel the tension rise.

She turned back, but her eyes were looking down at the table.

"Breaking up with you was one of the hardest things I have EVER had to do." Daisy said, as tears formed in her eyes.

Christopher reached across and took her hand.

"It was the hardest thing I ever did." He replied honestly. "It ... It affected me for a long time."

Daisy looked at him with sadness visible on her face.

"I went off the rails Daisy. I drank too much... I chased girls indiscriminately. I wasn't a very nice person to be around..." He said candidly. "It took me a long time to be 'me' again."

"Oh Christopher I'm so sorry." She replied visibly upset. She was upset at having caused him so much pain.

"No, No Daisy. Don't be sorry. It was the right thing to do. ... We wouldn't have been able to see each other for nearly 2 years... Circumstances just kept us apart..."

Daisy and Christopher held hands across the table. The hurt was still there, but the mutual acknowledgement that they had done the right thing at the time was evident. Christopher broke the silence.

"I'm so glad I got to see you again Daisy." He said with genuine joy.

"Me too Christopher. Me too." Daisy replied, smiling warmly at him and squeezing his hand.

"I still remember the look on your face when I turned up on the doorstep the first time I met you."

Daisy laughed.

"I had no idea who you were."

With that they began to reminisce about their former relationship. Over the next couple of hours they shared everything from back in time, the excitement, the nerves, the joy, the love they shared. The great feelings they shared for each other back then were evident and they had a wonderful dinner together.

Finishing their meal and drinks they left the brewery and walked back to Daisy's hotel. This time as they walked Daisy had her arm linked in Christopher's. The mood between them was great. Daisy was feeling so good about seeing him again that she asked Christopher for his number and he shared this, getting hers as well in the process. Talking happily all the way, once in the hotel they headed inside and even went up in the lift together. It was almost like they didn't want to break their new found connection by letting go.

As they reached Daisy's room she turned to face Christopher.

"You know I've wondered what it would be like to see you again. I played it out so many times in my head. I feared you didn't want to see me again or that you would be angry at me..."

"Daisy I... Truthfully I didn't want to see you for a long while. Not for bad reasons, but because it hurt so much to even think about you."

Daisy ran her hand down his arm, seeing the hurt on his face

"I'm so glad we did meet up again." He said sincerely, with a happy smile on his face.

"Me too."

With that Daisy moved closer and Christopher opened his arms. They embraced. Christopher held Daisy close, and she wrapped her arms around him. It felt right again. Just like it always did. Christopher could feel Daisy relax in his arms and he held her even closer.

The embrace slowly ended and Daisy moved slightly back. Her eyes locked onto his. His green eyes looked right into her blue eyes. He felt he could see right into her soul and she wanted to let him in again. Unconsciously, instinctively, she raised her head as he lowered his. Their faces moved closer. Their lips touched.

Sparks flew the instant their lips met. Passion grew and their kiss increased. Daisy pulled Christopher closer and he held her tighter. The feeling of her lips on his, the teasing of their tongues together. This kiss had been six years in the making. It released something between them that had been so amazing before but now seemed even more intense.

It was a kiss of passion, of lust, but also such intense attraction and affection that neither of them had been willing to admit before. If ever a physical moment touched their souls, this kiss was the one.

Daisy sighed as their kiss broke apart. Her senses were alive. She looked to see Christopher slowly moving back, his eyes opening slowly.

Christopher's mouth opened but nothing came out as he went to speak. He was tingling all over, struggling to bring his thoughts into focus. That was incredible. He then realised he was grinning like a fool. Daisy too had a smile on her face. Hers was a little more coquettish than his though.

Christopher slid his hand down her arm and held her hand. He sighed as he began to speak

"Goodnight Daisy. It was truly ... Amazing seeing you again... And yes we have to keep in touch."

"Goodnight Christopher. I promise I will keep in touch." Daisy responded quietly, squeezing his hand.

With that Christopher walked towards the elevator. He turned around as he reached them and saw Daisy was still standing outside her door, smiling so happily at him. Christopher's heart was pounding. The doors to the lift opened and he went inside, waving towards Daisy. She waved too.

Daisy went into her room and leaned on the back of the door. That kiss had rocked her. She hadn't felt like this since the first time she had kissed Christopher.

*************

The next day Christopher was at work. His concentration wasn't great as his mind was elsewhere. Daisy had been dominating his thoughts since their chance meeting the previous day. The kiss they shared had blown his mind. He picked up his phone and decided to message her.

He typed his message saying how good a time he had with her and how he was glad to have seen her again. Christopher was pleasantly surprised when Daisy almost immediately replied. She too was pleased to have seen him and really enjoyed their catch up. He then asked about her day and she said it was a little anticlimactic after the previous day. They messaged back and forth for the next hour. It was fun and friendly.

Christopher signed off from messaging as his work phone was ringing. It was Katerina. Upon answering the phone, Katerina started telling him all about the copy she had written for the advertisements she was working on. As they spoke Christopher began to feel guilty about his actions the previous evening. Katerina had never entered his thoughts after seeing Daisy and this concerned him.

He wanted to tell Katerina about seeing Daisy, hoping that this would appease his conscience. Every time he went to speak however Katerina cut him off, telling him something else about her work. She would not let him get a word in about himself. At that moment it was almost as though a lightbulb went off in his brain. Rather than getting angry at not being heard, he let Katerina go on and on about herself. Not once did she ask how he was going or what he was doing.

As she was talking he saw a message come up on his mobile from Daisy. She said she had to go and that she would message him later in the week as she was travelling the next day. Christopher messaged her back saying he looked forward to it and wished her a good trip.

Christopher then turned his full attention to Katerina. He tried to tell her about the opportunities he had for work, but she didn't want to chat about his work. Shortly after this, Christopher told her he had to go. They said their goodbyes. Christopher had things to do.

He went to see his boss to ask for more details about each of the offers he had been given. His boss gave him all the details and told Christopher to speak directly to the heads of each project. Over the next couple of days Christopher had some phone calls to make and some very difficult decisions to ponder.

**********

Daisy's conference finished the following day. The final night had a big celebratory dinner before everyone left the following morning. She and her Australian colleagues were flying out of Detroit to LA, where they were spending a few days before heading back to Australia. She had spoken to Alex a few times after her catch up with Christopher, mentioning she had seen an old friend, but not that it was Christopher. Alex was happy for her and was looking forward to her return. Daisy enjoyed speaking with Alex, but she strangely felt a little distant from him.

Once in LA, Daisy and her friends took the opportunity to play tourist and see the sights there, including a day at Disneyland. While there and goofing around with her colleagues Daisy took a selfie of herself wearing a classic pair of 'Mickey Mouse ears'. She liked the picture and sent this to both Alex and Christopher.

Christopher was at work when he saw the message and the picture come up on his phone. Opening it a big smile came across his face. Daisy looked so happy and this made him feel happy. He immediately messaged back 'Daisy you are the cutest Mouseketeer EVER!!'

As he pressed send, Christopher's worries caught up with him.

'Was it too flirty? Am I trying to flirt with Daisy? Oh god what am I doing?'

Daisy giggled and blushed slightly when she received Christopher's message.

'He still thinks I'm cute.' She thought to herself.

She replied back to Christopher.

'Thank you ;) x'

Christopher was so relieved when he received Daisy's reply, particularly as she liked his message.

Just then her phone binged with a message from Alex.

'Bit silly wearing a kid's hat Daisy.'

Daisy's good thoughts soured slightly seeing this. Alex was a bit too serious for his own good and at times he did seem like an old man in a young man's body. This was just the latest in a series of statements from Alex that puzzled Daisy. She didn't reply to Alex's message. She didn't want to spoil the fun she was having with her colleagues by having to justify herself to him. She headed off to go on some more rides.