Fate or Circumstances

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

************

After many late night phone calls and much soul searching Christopher made his decision about his career. He had spoken with people from all the different projects to get a feel for what was involved. This enabled him to narrow the choice down to two. He then took into account what he wanted to do and what he wanted out of life.

To cement his choice he spoke to his parents who still lived in England. Telling them both the reasoning behind his decision left everyone feeling pleased with Christopher's choice. His mother was especially pleased for him saying it was time for him to settle down.

He went into work the following day and on a Zoom conference he spoke with his boss and his new manager. Between them they worked out all the details of his new contract. Christopher wanted to take some holidays so it was arranged that he would start his new role in a month's time. Everyone was pleased and with that Christopher went and organised his return to Germany.

With his work future settled Christopher slept well on the plane trip back to Cologne a few days later. He wanted to be well rested as he had a lot to do when he arrived. His plane arrived at 8am in the morning and his first stop was to go into work. He wanted to catch up with Katerina as soon as he could and tell her his decision in person. Once he arrived at work he found that she was working from home that day. Christopher immediately went back to his car and drove to her apartment.

Katerina lived in a nice building overlooking the river. Christopher caught the lift to her third floor apartment. When he arrived at her door he took a deep breath before knocking. After asking who was at the door Katerina yelled from inside for him to come in.

Christopher entered the living room and Katerina was working on her computer. She spun her chair around and stood up. The doors to the balcony overlooking the river were open and a nice breeze drifted in. Christopher put his keys and phone down on the dinner table as Katerina approached. He couldn't read the look on her face.

"Hello Christopher. I was wondering if you were going to come and see me."

"Hi Kat. Why... Of course I was coming to see you. Why wouldn't I?"

Katerina stalked around the room.

"Well I wondered if you had the balls to see me... Now that you are moving to Australia."

Christopher was dumbfounded. His appointment to the Asia Pacific Design Team in Melbourne wasn't being announced officially until tomorrow.

"Yes... How... How do you know that?"

"Dieter from design saw me yesterday and said that you took the job in Australia and not the one here... Why Christopher? Why are you leaving me?" Katerina pouted.

"Urrgh ... Katerina it hasn't been good between us for a while... Whenever I spoke to you, you weren't interested in what I was doing, how my work was going. It was always all about you. And I need to be in a two way relationship, not a one way one."

Katerina paced back and forth.

"There is someone else isn't there." She replied, immediately turning the focus back onto Christopher.

"No... No there isn't. Truthfully there is no one else. We have just grown apart and I need more. It is also time for me to go home."

"You lie Christopher. There is someone else. You are going back to Australia... Back to that girl... the flower girl... Daffodil... Whatever her name is. " Katerina ranted. She was getting angrier by the second.

Christopher was increasingly baffled. Was he that easy to read?

"No...No.." he mumbled.

She went over to the dinner table and snatched his phone.

"If I open this there will be messages to her won't there?" She accused.

Christopher didn't say anything.

"I knew it." Katerina screamed.

She turned and smashed the phone into the corner of the granite topped kitchen bench, destroying it instantly. In one movement she turned in the other direction and threw the smashed remains of the phone out of the window and into the river below.

"GET OUT AND NEVER COME BACK" she yelled.

Christopher's heart was pounding as he gladly left the apartment. Leaving the building he sighed almost happily. Katerina was gone. His overseas adventure was almost at an end. Now was time to live his life and return home.

**********

Daisy returned home to Sydney on a Monday morning. After the conference and the 5 days in LA it was good to be heading home. Alex was waiting for her at the airport and took her back to their apartment. It was good to see Alex again, but Daisy felt somehow different. Alex was nice and looked after her but Daisy felt out of sorts, though she blamed this on jet lag. She had the week off before resuming her studies the following Monday. Alex had to work, so this gave Daisy the chance to rest up and enjoy being home.

On the Friday night Daisy and Alex travelled to her father's house for dinner. Daisy's whole family were there, her step mother and her two children, her sister Lara, Lara's husband Simon and their 18 month old son Byron. Daisy enjoyed catching up with her family, telling them all about her trip. The only news she didn't tell them was seeing Christopher.

After dinner, Daisy connected a flash drive to the television and she showed her family her presentation from the conference. It had been filmed and she had received a copy. Her family all enjoyed seeing Daisy do her work. Daisy however found it difficult to watch herself. She got up and went to the kitchen to get some water. She returned, standing at the back of the room where she could see everyone watching. On the presentation she cracked a joke and the audience laughed. Watching back now, she heard one laugh above all the others. She heard Christopher's laugh and this made her smile a bit whimsically.

Lara was watching holding her son. She turned at that moment and saw Daisy's smile. Lara caught Daisy's eye and the sisters exchanged glances. The look on Daisy's face gave away the confusion she was feeling.

Everyone enjoyed watching Daisy and they all clapped and cheered when her presentation finished. The evening wore on and before too long it was time for everyone to head home. Goodbyes were said and when Daisy and Lara embraced, the older sister whispered "If you need to talk Daze, call me anytime."

"I will Lara. I will." Daisy whispered back.

As Daisy and Alex travelled back to home they talked about the evening. Alex hadn't been quite as vocal in his encouragement of Daisy's presentation as her other family members, so she asked him what he thought of it.

"Daisy it was very good. You did stumble over a few words that perhaps you should have practiced more. I also thought the jokes you made probably weren't suitable for such a setting, but overall you did reasonably well."

Daisy glared at him with incredulity. She was about to let rip at him when a truck they were passing swerved and nearly took them out. This scare took all the bad thoughts out of her mind as they were just glad not to have been run into.

The next day Alex had to work and Daisy took the opportunity to talk to her sister. They discussed everything as sisters do. Daisy told her about Alex's comments on the way home the previous evening and some of the other things he was doing. Lara mentioned that Daisy seemed a little distracted. This one comment opened the floodgates.

Daisy told Lara all about seeing Christopher again, all the details including their kiss at the end of the evening. She gushed to Lara about how great it was to see him again.

"You still love him don't you Daisy?" Lara asked, cutting directly to the heart of the matter.

"I... I don't ... I'm not sure...I..."

"Daisy it's me you're talking to. I remember you calling me the night you went out with him the first time. You had fallen for him then."

"But he lives overseas Lara. We are too far apart... I ... I just think it was such a pleasant surprise seeing him again. It is completely impractical and I definitely don't want to do a long distance relationship again."

"Daze as long as you are true to yourself. You have to live your life as best you see fit. Just be true to yourself no matter what you do. Please."

"I will Lara. Thank you."

Just then the door to the apartment opened. Alex had come home early from work. Daisy was surprised to see him home from work in the middle of the afternoon. Saying goodbye to her sister, she got up and Alex gave her a kiss. He had come home to take her out for the afternoon.

He had a big backpack packed and they caught the train the short distance across the city to Circular Quay. They then walked in the pale winter sun to Mrs Macquarie's Chair. This was the headland next to the Opera House and it presented the best views in the city of the Harbour Bridge and Opera House. Alex proceeded to pull a picnic rug out of the backpack. They sat down together as he poured them both a glass of wine.

Daisy was genuinely surprised by this turn of events. Alex was acting a little strangely. He seemed a bit nervous. He was fidgeting around with the backpack before he settled down. He looked across at Daisy before adjusting himself to be on one knee.

"Oh Alex..." Daisy said, tears forming in her eyes. She immediately knew what he was doing.

Her hands covered her mouth.

***********

After the drama of seeing Katerina again, everything else in Christopher's final day's in Germany ran smoothly. All of his belongings, including his car, had been packed into a container to be shipped out to Australia. He had this organised as part of his deal in accepting the position.

The only minor hiccup he experienced was having to get a new phone. This did allow him to change his number to an Australian one. The hiccup was in the fact that he hadn't backed up his phone for over a month and his recent conversations and details were all lost. This included Daisy's details. He wanted to tell her his news but couldn't.

Travelling home via London and Dubai, Christopher arrived back in Australia on a Tuesday morning. The weather was overcast and threatening and he missed out on seeing the views of Sydney as they landed. While his new job was in Melbourne, he flew into Sydney now. There was someone he had to see. He didn't want to spend his life without knowing if they still had a chance.

As he went through Immigration the Custom's Officer there looked through his passport.

"Mr Jones I see it has been 6 years since you have been here. You have done a bit of travelling in between then and now."

"Yes all through work. But now it's time to come back and settle down." Christopher replied happily.

The immigration officer stamped his passport and smiled at Christopher.

"Welcome home Mr Jones." She said with sincerity.

"Thank you so much. It is good to be back." Christopher replied before heading to get his bags.

He picked up a hire car and immediately drove to where Daisy used to live on campus. He had her address committed to memory and quickly found his way there. As he arrived, Christopher realised how foolish he had been. Daisy no longer lived here. She had moved in with her boyfriend. He had no idea where she lived now.

Sitting in the car chastising himself for not realising this and for not backing up his phone, an inspiring thought occurred to him. His cousin Angela, Daisy's step mother would know where she was. He had her address, so Christopher started the car and headed there.

The closer he got to the address the more focussed he became. The weather outside was not as optimistic as Christopher was feeling. The storm clouds overhead erupted and torrential rain poured down. The roads were slippery, but Christopher was on a mission and he drove with determination. He had to find Daisy.

Arriving at his cousin's address, Christopher took a deep breath before running out of the car to the front door. His clothes became soaked in the short run from the road to the front door. Standing on the porch he fixed himself up as best as he could. Reaching across he rang the doorbell.

***********

"Oh Alex..."

Daisy's hands covered her mouth and tears began to form in her eyes.

"Daisy I..."

"No. No Alex. Please, please stop." Daisy pleaded.

Alex looked at her with a confused look on his face.

Daisy moved across and held his hand.

"Please Alex don't say anything more. I... I ... I don't want you to say what you are going to say... I can't do what you are asking me. I'm so sorry Alex but I don't ... I'm not in love with you... It is not you, it is me."

Tears rolled down Alex's face as the full magnitude of what Daisy was saying dawned on him.

"I want...I need more from life and to do that I need to do it on my own... I'm so sorry Alex. I'm so sorry." Daisy cried as she said this. She had never wanted to hurt him, but she could not go on living like she loved him.

Alex was struggling to comprehend what had just happened and Daisy was upset at breaking his heart. She stood up and went to kiss him on the head. Alex pulled away. Daisy picked up her bag and walked away, tears still rolling down her cheeks. She walked to the station, caught the first train back to their apartment.

Once there she grabbed as many of her things and clothes as she could and loaded them into her car. She left a note on the table saying she would pick up the rest of her things next week. With that she got into her car and drove. She didn't know where she was going. She drove for hours, her mind churning over what had taken place. It was late at night when Daisy eventually ended up at her sister's house.

At the front door Simon let Daisy in and Lara came over. Daisy immediately burst into tears again and her sister looked after her. Once Daisy calmed down she told Lara all about what had happened. Daisy didn't know why she was so upset. Lara sat with her and allowed Daisy to vent about everything. She felt so confused. She was upset at breaking Alex's heart, but she knew she didn't love him anymore.

Lara sat with Daisy and they talked all night. Daisy talked, she cried, she ranted and she hugged her sister. Daisy opened her heart and speaking with Lara brought everything into perspective. Eventually around 4 am Lara helped Daisy to bed in the spare room. Daisy was emotionally exhausted after the day she had experienced.

Late the following morning when Daisy finally emerged, she apologised to Lara and Simon for disturbing them and for the state she was in the previous night. They all talked together and Daisy was much more like her old self.

"So Daisy what are you going to do now?" Simon asked.

"I have to speak to Dad and tell him and Angela what has happened, and I might see if they can put me up until I find my feet again."

Lara looked at her sister. "And what about the other thing?"

"Well... I am going to message Christopher today and see if we can talk. I can't do it through messages."

"Sounds like a good plan."

Daisy spoke to her father and she did move back in with him and his family. She had to have the spare bedroom as her step sister had Daisy's old room. On the Monday Daisy and her father went around to Alex's apartment and collected the rest of her belongings. Alex wasn't there, but he knew they were coming. He didn't want to see Daisy and just wanted her out of his life.

On Tuesday after everyone else went to work and school Daisy emerged from her room. She was wearing an old university t-shirt, track pants and Ugg boots, with hair was loosely tied up in a ponytail.

She set up camp on the dining room table and proceeded through her work. After the upheaval over the weekend, Daisy was pleased to open up her computer and see a pile of emails that had to be answered for her Doctorate. This gave her a very welcome distraction. There was still a nagging feeling at the back of her mind though. She had messaged Christopher on Sunday night and he still hadn't replied.

All the time she kept one eye on her phone. Listening to the rain pouring down outside Daisy lost herself in her research.

After eating her lunch, Daisy was still working diligently when the doorbell rang.

'Who could that be?' Daisy thought to herself. She checked her phone, out of habit more than anything else before going to the door.

Daisy opened the door. There standing on the doorstep was a very damp man, 6' tall, dark wet hair and glasses.

"CHRISTOPHER!!"

"Daisy... what are you doing here?"

Daisy grabbed Christopher by the hand and dragged him inside.

"Oh you're soaking. Let me get a towel for you. Why... how come you are out here? Did you get my message?"

"No.. No Daisy I Didn't get it. I had to get a new phone... Long story. Please wait. I need to talk to you."

Christopher took Daisy by the hand.

"I ... You have been the only thing I could think of since I saw you. I just had to come and see you. I wanted to ... Daisy you are still the most beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful woman I have ever met and I... I don't want to be without you. I had to come and see you ... to see if we still had a chance?"

Daisy was beaming as Christopher spoke, but then her smile faded slightly. Christopher saw this and he knew Daisy had something to tell him.

"You said you had a message for me Daisy. What was it?"

"Well I wanted to talk to you. I had some news." Daisy said coyly.

"What news?"

Daisy looked a little shy.

"Alex asked me to marry him."

Christopher's heart broke in that instant. He hadn't expected that turn of events at all.

Daisy took her left hand from Christopher's and she turned it around showing him her fingers. Her fingers that had no rings on them at all.

Daisy bit her lip watching the confusion on Christopher's face.

"I said no."

Christopher's mouth opened and closed, but nothing came out.

"I said no because after seeing you I realised..." Daisy stepped closer and wrapped her arms around Christopher and she kissed him.

Their lips touched and arms wrapped around each other. The sheer joy of the kiss was palpable. Lips locked and tongues duelled. Affections for each other were shared in a lovers embrace.

Daisy pulled her face back slightly when their kiss finished. She took a moment to open her eyes. When she did she saw Christopher looking right into her eyes. Daisy broke into a smile as she began to speak.

"I realised I still love you... I love you Christopher."

"Oh god. I love you Daisy." Christopher said looking into Daisy's eyes.

Leaning into each other they kissed again. Their lips expressed the love and affection they shared and they held each other tight.

When the kiss broke apart, Daisy and Christopher were beaming at each other.

"Did you come all the way out here just to see me?" Daisy purred.

"Yes I did... Oh and to tell you my news...I'm moving for work."

It was now Daisy's turn for confusion. Thoughts of a dreaded long distance relationship reared their ugly head again. Christopher paused as he could see the look of horror on Daisy's face. He smiled and decided to tell her.

"I've taken a role at the Asia Pacific design centre, leading my own design team."

"Where's that?" Daisy pouted, wondering where he was going.

"Melbourne." Christopher said with a huge grin.

"MELBOURNE!! Really Christopher? You're coming home?"

"I am home. Home to be with the woman I love."

Daisy kissed Christopher again. He held her close as they shared their love.

"Oh Christopher I love you." Daisy babbled as the kiss broke apart.

"I love you Daisy."

*************

Epilogue

Daisy and Christopher moved down to Melbourne together when Christopher started his new job. They loved setting up their home and after so long apart the time together was wonderful. Any trepidation they may have felt about living together soon disappeared.

As her doctoral work was mostly research Daisy was able to work from Melbourne, with occasional visits back to Sydney for meetings. Christopher really enjoyed the work he was doing and the autonomy of running his own team. Their designs were very well received and the vehicles they created were popular sellers.