Iscariot Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Then came the big ones: for their actions in stopping the school shooter at the great risk and near-loss of their lives, Chief Evans and Detective German were awarded the NCPD's Medal of Valor. It was a medal on a drape instead of a neck ribbon, and it was that common, almost cheap medal that many local Police Departments use. But it was what it meant that was more important than the physical piece of metal and cloth.

The Mayor awarded the medal to Detective German. We thought Chief Moynahan might pin Molly's medal on; after all, she was the first of his Midtown team to receive an award at this level. But he had said it was a matter of family, and so TCPD Medal of Valor recipient Cindy Ross pinned the NCPD Medal of Valor on her sister's uniform, followed by a tearful hug...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:30pm, Monday, July 1st. We were on the outside deck of the Cop Bar, having beef nachos and various drinks with bubbles in them (beer, sodas).

"Well, it's over." said Cindy Ross. "The FBI investigation team wrapped up in one day. They did all the interviews they needed, apparently."

Jack Muscone said "Once that Ellis guy was sent home, it went fast and efficiently. They'll do their own checks on the ELINT data Myron gave them, but there's no smoking guns anywhere."

I asked "Is the EAD still in Town?"

Muscone said "No, he went back to the City. I'll tell you guys this, he was really pissed off at Ellis over that polygraph stunt. He has good friends in high places, and they'll be looking into that guy's practices... and that team's practices."

I said "Maybe they were getting good results because they were crossing lines and coercing people into polygraph tests. They might be a good team, but that stuff needs to stop."

"Changing the subject ever so slightly," said Tanya Perlman, "anyone think the attack on Holder might've been a black-on-black crime?"

"I thought the black community was loving what Holder was doing." said Teresa Croyle. "That's what KXTC wants us to believe, anyway."

"KXTC wants to pin it on Don," said Cindy, "which is never going to happen, of course. But what's your thesis, Tanya?"

Tanya replied "Everyone is looking so hard at Don, then at the Police, that they haven't even considered that Tasha has two parents. And Tasha's mother's brother is one of the most influential black men in the entire Nation."

"And possibly one of the most criminal." I said.

"Possi-blee, possi-blee." said Tanya. "Anyway, T-Square might not have appreciated the slurs aimed at his sister and his niece."

"I'm sure he didn't." I said. "But until Lester Holder wakes up and remembers something, or someone... nothing's ever going to get proved against anyone."

I got up. "Okay, I'm going to go home and tuck some kids into bed. We'll start up the whole thing again in the morning..."

Part 18 - Freedom Isn't Free

Thursday, July 4th. Independence Day.

It was a Holiday for most Citizens, but not for the TCPD, and certainly not for Your Iron Crowbar. I was growing exhausted by the 20-hour days of this past week as the searches for Geiger and Parker intensified.

Clark Webster of the FBI Missing Persons unit in the City had 'transferred his flag', so to speak, to the FBI office in the Federal Building of the Town & County. We'd offered him space in the Old Mill, as we'd done for the Feds during the nuke crisis (Author's note: 'The Nuclear Option'.), but he'd politely declined.

In many long meetings with Webster's team and our Detectives, we'd concluded that it was most likely that Geiger and Parker were not together, and this increased the possibility that one of them, probably Parker, was dead. However, I'd refused to give up hope, saying that bodies are not that easy to make disappear, and we'd found noting to suggest he was dead.

The News Media, most of it anyway, had been pretty good in their reporting of it, putting up photos of the missing Officers, and passing along any tips called into them. The major exception to that was KXTC. Burt West and Bettina Wurtzburg had coverage, but most of it devolved into 'Commander Troy is obligated, required to give us comment but won't' and other such garbage as they saw fit to attack us with.

APBs had gone out as far east as The City and even to Acropolis City, to Midtown and Southport to our south, and to the States west and north of us, courtesy of the FBI. As July 3d had closed out, I'd told Cindy that I was surprised how few hotline tips we'd had... from anywhere. "Someone usually calls with a sighting, real or imagined." I had said. "Right now... we got 'nuthin'." Cindy had sadly nodded her head in agreement.

There had been no Council meeting Tuesday night nor Charter Commission meeting Wednesday night, due to the upcoming Holiday.

Now in the present day, I was coming up to the starting line of the Triathlon. I had been greeting the contestants, including the Nextdoor County High School JROTC team. Thomas Patton had been Tom Usagi's race partner the year before. His partner today was Brad Nelson. They looked very determined, and said they were racing for Tom. I wished them well.

I hugged Wanda and Ariel, who were racing for Town Fitness Centers, and their charity was University Hospital's Cancer Center, as Teresa and Todd were not racing this year. I knew they'd be a formidable pair, but the NCHS JROTC team had a Spirit running with them, as Teresa had had during her first race with Cindy as her partner. (Author's note: 'Teresa's Summer Race'.)

I was supposed to be the honorary Starter of the race, but I redirected those suppositions after Mrs. Myrtle L. James introduced me: "Ladies and gentlemen," I said, "I would like to delegate this task to the young man who won this race last year. Please welcome Mr. Todd Burke."

There was strong applause for Todd as he came up; it was his first public appearance since his ordeal at the hands of Quint Starr.

"Thank you, Commander Troy." Todd said. He then said more loudly: "I met Tom Usagi last year... when he was chasing me down at the Finish Line. He was a great competitor, and an even better young man. I thought it would be very likely that he'd win the race this year... but as we all know, he's not here with us now. He gave his life so that others would live."

"As our contestants run this race, and as we celebrate Independence Day," Todd continued, "Tom Usagi's sacrifice reminds us that Freedom isn't free, and that we're here and enjoying this day because of the sacrifice of Tom Usagi and others who have paid the price for us. This County's namesake, President Thomas Jefferson, would have been very proud of Tom Usagi, and what this Nation has become because of people like him."

Everyone applauded. The Media had recorded the speech, and I wondered how much of that would make the airwaves. Watchers of Fox Eight News would see it, and some outlets round the State would carry it, and Reed Hudson would play the audio on his popular radio show.

KXTC would not show it at all. Not one second of it. Love of country, and the sacrifices made for it, were not a strong suit of the American Mainstream Media...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy and I got in my Police SUV and drove back into Town. The Wheelchair Races would be finishing on College Street, near City Hall. We got back to Police Headquarters just before the roads were closed off.

"Wow, 60 contestants in the Wheelchair Races!" Cindy said. "Tanya has done a tremendous job with it."

"Yes. Yes she has." I said. "Is she competing in it?"

"Yes." Cindy said. "But she expects to come in way late in the pack."

There were actually two divisions now in the Wheelchair Races. The 'pros', people who took racing seriously and competed in events like the Special Olympics, were in the first group, and 'everyone else' was in the second group. Old and young, kids and adults, and all having a good time as they were cheered on by the large crowds on the sidewalks.

I heard the radio announcer: "And the Nextdoor County JROTC team is taking the early lead. Patton and Nelson are very determined to win for their friend and colleague Tom Usagi, who as you know died saving other students's lives in that horrible school shooting. In second place is the Town Fitness Centers team, Ariel and Wanda, making their debut in the Independence Day Triathlon..."

"So Ariel and Wanda are competing in the triathlon?" I asked.

"Yes they are." said Cindy. "And like the radio guy just said, they're representing Town Fitness Centers, and their charity is University Hospital Cancer Center."

I nodded. "That's good." I said. "The Cancer Center kids were crushed that Teresa wasn't running this year, but a visit from Bowser made them feel better."

"Bowser is an awesome dog." Cindy said. "Is he, uh... siring any more puppies?"

I laughed. "Yes, he and Dr. Childers's dog Sadie Mae had a date last Sunday, and Bowser got some pussy."

"Oh, you're bad!" Cindy said, though laughing. "Oh... here come the wheelchair racers now."

The racers crossed the finish line over the next few minutes. They were escorted across Riverside Drive to the Fairgrounds, where they were given Powerade and checked over by medics if needed. Tanya came in 52d out of 60.

"Oh wow, I'm getting too old for this." she said as we spoke to her a few minutes later.

"Train harder." I said flatly. She knew I was being facetious.

"Who's got time?" she replied. "I work for this slave-driver with a red crowbar, and there's no time for anything but work." She was grinning as she said it.

"I'll have a word with the slave-driver." I replied. "To make sure you work harder AND train harder..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The University Hospital Cancer Kids, in close cooperation with a certain Iron Wolf, had had a huge banner put up that said "WE (heart) TOM USAGI!". Like the banner for Teresa the year before, the banner was inspirational.

"And we're in the final stages of the race." said the radio announcer. "The Town Fitness Centers team has been battling it out with the Nextdoor County JROTC team the whole way, and you know the ROTC team wants to win for young Tom Usagi... and Patton is making a move! I think he saw the sign at the Hospital the Cancer Kids put up, remembering Tom Usagi, and he has started running harder. And here they come, up University Avenue, past the clock tower, about to turn onto North Street for the final push...

Molly Evans, Todd Burke, and Teresa Croyle had joined Cindy and me, and were standing in front of Police Headquarters. I heard the cheering north of us, then getting louder. They were coming down Riverside Drive.

"And here comes Thomas Patton!" said the radio announcer. "He's opened up a lead on the Town Fitness team! He is running hard, he is determined to win this race! And there he goes, past the Police Station, turning into the Fairgrounds... and he breaks the tape to win! Patton and Nelson of the Nextdoor County JROTC team have won this race! What a moment!"

Patton and Nelson, and were quickly mobbed by a lot of people that had come over from Nextdoor County, including other JROTC cadets, as well as high school students.

"And the Town Fitness Team of Ariel and Wanda, an all-women's team, has done a tremendous job finishing in second place." said the radio announcer. "They're congratulating the winners, showing great sportsmanship." As Ariel and Wanda moved out of the way, Press cameramen almost knocked them down to get in better position to record what was happening.

And then a cheer went up from the group, which parted like the Red Sea to allow Molly Evans to come up to the racers. She hugged Nelson, then her hug with Patton became very emotional, and they hugged and cried together for a long moment."

"And it's a very emotional scene now." said the radio announcer, his own voice choking up. "Nextdoor County Police Chief Molly Evans has come up... she is hugging young Patton, they're both crying. Chief Evans was grievously wounded in the school attack that claimed young Usagi's life, and she is credited with stopping the shooter and preventing him from killing others... And now Teresa Croyle and Todd Burke, last year's champions, have come up and are congratulating the winners. This is Mr. Burke's first public appearance since he was badly injured after being taken hostage..."

And as another cheer went up, the announcer said: "And now Patton is holding up the number badge worn by Tom Usagi in last year's race. He carried it with him the entire race, and he's telling the cameras that they raced for Tom Usagi..." said the announcer.

Cindy and I eventually went into the scrum to congratulate the winners, as well. We attended the awards ceremony, where Tanya awarded the Wheelchair Races winners their medals, and Mayor Daniel Allgood invited Chief Molly Evans to award the Triathlon top finishers their medals. Patton held his up and yelled "This one's... for Tom!", and the crowd roared.

As we went back to Police Headquarters, I felt a sense of melancholy. Maybe it was because we were going back to Headquarters to resume the search for Parker and Geiger. But I knew it was more... today was the birthday of the greatest Nation on earth, the 'last best hope on earth' for Mankind. We normally celebrated with festivals, parties, fireworks, and good times. But today, everything had reminded us of the price that had been paid for what we had, and the need to be ever vigilant against those that wanted, and want, to take it all from us.

As Todd had said earlier that morning, today we were reminded that Freedom is not free...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We watched the fireworks at the Fairgrounds from the perch of the back deck of The Cabin. Tasha and Carole 'oooh'-ed and 'aaah'-ed. Bowser and Buddy were not amused by the loud booms of fireworks being fired from other locations close by, including just over the mountain at McGhillie's Golf Course.

We put the kids to bed, and Molly went to the 2nd bedroom to bed. Teresa and Todd took their boys to their home next door. Paulina, Laura, and I went to sleep in the big bed of the master bedroom.

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

I woke up and quickly reached for my Police iPhone before it woke up Bowser and all canine hell broke loose. As I answered, I noticed that it was 4:30am.

"Troy." I said sleepily.

"Don, this is Shane O'Brady." said Shane O'Brady. "I'm in the City. The building where Bundy McGinty had his office is on fire..."

To be continued.