It Ain't Paranoia if... Pt. 02 Ch. 07

Story Info
Preparations accelerate; Kaitlyn evolving; Friend or Foe.
18.2k words
4.74
10k
14

Part 12 of the 15 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 11/20/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Texican1830
Texican1830
1,478 Followers

No sex involving under 21 fantasy characters in this fantasy action-adventure erotic piece. If offended by stories that depict erotic events or violence, please try elsewhere. If you are new to the "It Ain't Paranoia..." series, I strongly suggest you either start with Chapter 1 Part 1, or look elsewhere.

For those following the series, there are purposeful changes of direction throughout this story and chapter 8. New themes and characters are introduced and old characters continue to develop and evolve, especially Kaitlyn, in the varied contexts in which they find themselves. If thought-provoking dialogue bothers you, don't bother reading. Constructive criticism is welcome, but don't get your panties in a wad and rant about morality or politics; I will delete.

As Part 2.6 ended, Rob and other main characters are in a weekly junta / war council at Crescent Moon.

Rough Riders of undesignated rank made up three of the attendees; one attendee was a bird colonel who appeared to be active army; three were techies whose job is to keep abreast of and analyze chatter among the splinter elements that have banned together to participate in the coming 'insurrection'. To that, add the Sheriff; Paul Peveto, Claude, and me.

The colonel opened the meeting by congratulating me for "surviving the torture, and killing the perpetrator." I didn't correct him, but it made me wonder again what Schoor had done with Volkov. I hoped he was honest in his promise to me, and his questioning was more an inquisition.

It was a long, interesting conversation, but for me there were several highlights. The first was that training for the original recruits was complete, the training of second wave of recruits was well ahead of schedule, the third wave was scheduled to start next Monday, and we had fully trained, experienced operators for the HIMAR and SAM systems!

The second highlight was that all six rotary and the four fixed wing aircraft are fully operational and piloted by combat veterans. The fixed wing aircraft are F-16 Falcons, capable of air-to-air and air-to- ground combat, as well as electronic attacks. In this highly technical world, that is a mighty important capability.

The third highlight was also a lowlight; the chatter has gone through the roof over the past few days. Analysis was ongoing, but it appeared the disappearance of Petr Volkov and the subsequent dismantling of his organization has the insurrectionists on edge and in conflict. One group strongly believes they need to strike soon; the other believes they should wait for more weapons and financial support to replace those that were to be provided by the dead / disappeared oligarch.

The ascension of Tom Yonkers and Edward R. Lee to their respective cabinet posts, at the expense of the 'friendlies' who previously held the posts, was a strong factor in favor of starting soon. Even stronger was AG Lee's ongoing purging of other friendlies from the ranks of the DOJ.

Our analysts were predicting sooner rather than later, but not immediately. Maybe in the period beginning with Thanksgiving and ending after New Year's Day.

We were about the break up the meeting when I got a call from Tom, who told me to sit tight and put him on speaker. Just as I did, the door opened and the mysterious Dan, David, and Schoor walked in. It seems putting a meeting together with top-level command isn't as difficult as Claude made it sound.

****

Part 2 Chapter 7

After exchanging cordial greetings with the still untitled and surname-less Dan and David, I shared a warm greeting with Agent Schoor that included a hug. Three chairs were made available at the table, and Dan began connecting with the Secretary of Defense on a secure video line before telling me to hang up on him. We faced the wall mounted 60" TV screen at the west end of the conference room, on which Tom, Attorney General Lee, 2 other men, and 2 women could be seen.

Without further introductions, Secretary Yonkers proceeded. "Rob, you've been out of the loop since you departed for Hungary, but much has transpired since then. Colonel, we hereby authorize you and all others in the room to inform Mr. MacGregor of events that have occurred and decisions made to date, and to keep him informed until this unfortunate trial is well behind us.

"General Lee and Director Vance will now bring all of you up to speed on what we know and think we know. Gentlemen."

Lee nodded at Vance, who unceremoniously began speaking. "Insurrectionists from across the political spectrum, from Nazis, fascists, White Supremacists, and anti-immigrant organizations, to anarchists, Black Separatists, communist sympathizers, and mercenaries supported by foreign governments and oligarchs like those Mr. MacGregor dispatched, are banding together in this conspiracy to overthrow the elected government of our country!

"I'm not going to try to name all the organizations, but suffice it to say, if they are from the extreme 2% of either end of the political spectrum, they are involved.

"It sounds like a disparate bunch of wing nuts, and to a degree it is. Unfortunately, they are comparatively well armed and trained, with said training conducted by disaffected former members of the US military, or military units from other nations, including North Korea and Russia. Their arms have come from a variety of sources, including North Korea and the Russian oligarchs - primarily Volkov, who is no longer in the business... or any other.

"There are also former and current law enforcement officers involved. We assume there are serving members of the military, but we only know of a few, and none are in a position to cause widespread harm.

"What they have in common is hatred of the federal government. Some want to also overthrow all elected government officials and appoint replacements from their own ranks, while other just want to forcibly 'drain the Washington swamp'. On most if not all other matters they disagree, so their amalgamation is tenuous at best.

"We know the Russians and North Koreans are still funneling arms and information to them, but the loss of Volkov and his organization, which was their primary conduit for arms and supplies, has profoundly affected their supply lines. Now that we are fully aware, we have successfully interdicted several attempts to bring arms into the country through ports and airports, further hamstringing them.

"Despite what you may hear, the supposed flow of weapons carried through the southern border by illegals has been and is, at best, a tiny trickle compared to the use of trucks, ships, container ships, and air freight for the contraband, which is true with most contraband, including illegal drugs. But that isn't our concern today.

"The final goals of the insurrectionists are unclear and uncertain, and may depend on the location and makeup of the organizations involved. From what we know, they intend to take control of some states, and parts of some states - in Texas, the western half of the state and portions of eastern Texas - and provoke revolution among disaffected elements in states and cities not directly affected by the first wave of warfare.

"General Lee."

"Thank you Director Vance. Because we cannot trust all members of federal, state, or local law enforcement to oppose and arrest the insurrectionists, we have created elite units of carefully selected officers and agents that will take control of law enforcement in certain areas. These authorities, and many others, are delegated in the emergency declaration the President will issue as soon as the first shots are fired.

"Speaking on behalf of the President, I want to emphasize that this rebellion must be crushed! We must then seize control of all areas in which insurrectionists were widely supported, and restore law and order. Martial law will be ordered for all suspect areas, until we can sort things out.

"Are there questions?"

After a few seconds of silence, I spoke up. "General Lee, I have a couple of questions and an observation. May I?"

"Please do, Rob!"

"State Governors control the national guard and air national guard. Many guardsmen and state law enforcement officers are deployed along the Texas-Mexico border. What can we expect from them, and from the Texas Air National Guard?"

It was quiet, and they watched the men and women in the other room look at each other. Finally, one of the women stated, "We have it on good authority that the Governor of Texas opposes any effort at insurrection. Do you know differently?"

"All I know is what I hear him say on TV and read in other media.

"Second question. Which side will the Border Patrol and ICE agents along the border and around the state support? I have concerns, given prior experiences. In one case, they were ordered not to assist in a confrontation between armed mercenaries sent to kidnap or kill American citizens in their home. In another, it appears they conveniently turned their heads when a van with three kidnapped citizens crossed into Mexico at a well-manned border crossing. That in spite of an APB that had been issued to all law enforcement in the state, including the Border Patrol, by the Jeff Davis sheriff."

No one seemed to want to address that one, but General Lee finally conferred with the other woman, and then answered, "We have made changes to the command structure of Homeland Security and ICE at the national level to address the problems you encountered. We do not foresee the allegiance of the federal officers as being in question at this time."

"Your answers are uncomfortably vague for me, sitting here the midst of a base that will certainly be attacked, and less than 100 miles from the border. So, to clarify, you have reason to believe the Governor will order the guard to oppose the insurrectionists, and you are... what - 'hopeful' the Border Patrol leadership will do the same? Before I offer my observation, please clarify."

Again, there were looks exchanged among those in Washington, and this time, also among those in the room with me.

"You've raised good questions, Rob," Secretary Yonkers stated. "In our efforts to keep our knowledge of the planned insurrection secret, it appears we have failed to assure that critical elements of our response are, in fact, ready and willing to respond. With the likely dates drawing nearer, we will address those issues immediately.

"Thank you for raising them. Now, your observation?"

"In the rhetoric of the rebels, regardless of political ilk, there are strands that resonate with proud Americans who do not and will not support insurrection, at least not at this time. That includes me.

"This country has changed immeasurably since September, 2001; in some ways for the better, but not in all ways. Without desiring to get into a political disagreement or argument about governmental structure, power, and prerogative today, my observation is that the American people in general will not support the further decrease of personal freedom, including freedom from government spying, or the imposition of widespread or lasting martial law.

"Defeating this motley crew of domestic hate groups and foreign-supported mercenaries quickly and effectively is critical, because there are too many who already question whether our government is here to keep us safe, or to keep us under control. If Americans question their government's ability to keep them safe, all bets are off.

"However, should they see guardsmen or guard units and/or law enforcement officers fighting on the side of the rebels, their buried concerns about the legitimacy of the government will rise to the surface, and all bets are off.

"Finally, I believe martial law imposed during and immediately after the insurrection will be accepted by the vast majority, just as it is after hurricanes, floods, tornados, or man-made disasters. But not for long. When uniformed men and women there to keep them safe begin to be seen as their oppressors... when they see friends and family being hauled off for unknown purposes... all bets are off.

"I hope your planning for the aftermath is as careful and well-considered as your planning for defeating the insurrectionists. The fault line upon which this country sits is unstable; we don't want to win the battle and lose the war by our actions after the fighting ends."

Few words were spoken after that, and the telecast ended. Those in the room turned their attention to Rob, who met their stares with his own. "Do you disagree?" he asked the army colonel in a challenging manner.

He received a smile and head shake in return. "No, and I'm thankful we have someone with the brass balls to say those things to a room full of top government officials. I heard your give-a-shit was broken, but I hadn't seen it until now. Thank you for speaking up."

Claude clasped him on the back and exclaimed, "Bossman here has gone up against Chechen hit squads, Boko Haram murder teams, Mexican cartels, North Korean assassins, and Russian oligarchs, not to mention duplicitous American agents! He's not still here because he's stupid and lucky - he's still here because he is smart, a careful planner, AND lucky!

"Asking him to accept shit because you think it will turn out okay but don't really know, is a great way to get the polite ass chewing they just got. It may put him on yet another 'list', but it might also make the powers stop and think of the ultimate consequences of their actions. If so, we're all going to come out ahead."

"How can WE find out about the guard, the air guard, and the Border Patrol? Or can we?" I asked.

"The Rough Riders, collectively, can get those answers. I'll get on it," Paul said.

Looking at the colonel, I asked when we need to meet again. We settled on twice weekly until we had more answers, and left it at that.

On the ride home my phone rang; area code 737 didn't come to mind, so I let it go voicemail. It was my realtor in Burnet, who asked me to return her call. I did, and explained why I didn't answer; she laughed and explained that is the new area code assigned to the fast-growing Austin - Central Texas area, then told me why she called.

"The buyer wasn't initially too keen on your offer. He thought he could get more, but he hasn't, so he wants to know if your offer is still good."

"Has anything happened to the house or land that would affect my offer?"

"Not that I'm aware of, but I'd very much like for you to come visit it before you finalize with him. He's not my favorite client."

"Is tomorrow or Sunday good? I can fly in with my family, if you can transport the four of us and a friend."

She could, Saturday was good, and the family was thrilled when he pitched his idea after school. Felix would accompany them, although there was no known threat at this time.

Grace and Dos were accustomed to flying now, and brought things to do when they got tired of looking out the windows. Rob spent most of the time playfully trying to get Kaitlyn to join the mile high club in the restroom, but she was having none of that with Felix and the kids along.

As requested, the pilot flew over the prospective property, banked, flew back over, and did it again on the way to the airport in Burnet. My impression was that the site was as presented in the advertisements, but, given the asking price, there were unexpected signs of neglect.

The airport was on the southern edge of Burnet along US 281. Valerie picked us up in a company van and took us west on TX 29, which featured beautiful views of the Hill Country, domes and cliffs of pink granite, and granite topped hills. We crossed the Colorado River / Inks Lake on a bridge a mile or so behind Buchanan Dam. The area was beautiful!

She turned north on a FM road that wound along the lakeshore, past the Bluffton Store, and then to Tow (not as in toe; tow as in towel). We followed CR222 past Fall Creek Vineyard, where it again turned north along the shoreline.

When the county road abruptly turned west, we turned onto a private road heading northeast. Most of the land we had passed through before Bluffton belonged to the LCRA, the owner/operators of the lake, but private ownership began around Bluffton and continued north a good number of miles to Bend, where a state park was established on the Colorado, above Lake Buchanan.

The piece of property we were interested in lay on an east-west axis south of Fall Creek, and included three-quarters of a mile of lakefront. Most of the lakefront property was steep cliffs, but about two hundred yards was a beach composed of granite gravel and coarse sand that was overgrown with brush.

The main road, which needed additional base and a maintainer, led directly to the house. From there, smaller, unimproved 'pasture roads' headed off in a starburst pattern toward sites unknown. Perhaps they were remains of roads established before the ranch began to be broken up and sold off, after property values made selling a much greater reward than ranching.

That was happening all over Texas, leading to a precipitous decline in both farm and ranch land. Not a great long-term trend for a state with a soaring population rate.

The house had seen better days. It appeared well built, with walls of reinforced concrete covered with white stucco, had a red tile roof that needed repair, and a spacious walled courtyard around a large swimming pool that needed significant work.

The interior was better maintained, but some of the large tiles needed to be replaced, the kitchen upgraded, and water stains covered up, after the roof was repaired.

The potential was there, but our realtor knew the presentation in the brochures and online was well edited. Kaitlyn had mixed emotions; she saw the potential, but also the work that would have to be done. The kids were skeptical - they certainly weren't swimming in that pool, and the house had a strange, musty smell from being closed up.

I suggested we ride down to the lake. The views there, as well as the potential beach with the remnants of a boat dock, were more pleasing. It wouldn't take that much to clear the brush back and build a floating dock, but you'd be sharing the beach with boaters who wanted to stop and swim.

We drove back to the house and took seats around a patio table while Felix took the kids exploring.

"Valerie, before I go any further, I want an estimate from a contractor on the needed repairs. There's a lot to do, and I'm not sure it's worth the cost."

She smiled. "I anticipated that, Mr. MacGregor, so I had my brother-in-law look the place over and draw one up. He owns a respected construction company with a subsidiary that specializes in remodeling and building lake property, including docks and boat houses."

She handed it to me for review, along with an amended contract that reduced the offer by half the cost of the repairs. "Would this make it a better deal?" she asked.

Kaitlyn and I looked the listed repairs over, checked the sale contract, and then looked at each other. "It could be a showplace again," Kaitlyn offered.

I continued for her. "There are five spacious bedrooms and four baths, which is excellent for the era in which the house was built. The open layout is nice, and I like the picture windows on the east wall facing the lake.

"The overriding question is, do we need a third house? Obviously, this setting is nothing like the others, but..."

"I caught the 'we' Honey," Kaitlyn said with a beaming smile. "If you don't have the money, I have a nice investment account from the sale of the house in Houston. I could pay for half."

"Does that mean you like it enough to want to buy it, fix it up, and furnish it? It will be a real project."

She looked thoughtful for a few minutes, and then said, "Yes, I do. There is a feeling I get here in the hills that I like. Not that I don't love 'our' other places, but this would be a nice change - assuming we can afford it."

Texican1830
Texican1830
1,478 Followers