Lodgepole Creek

Story Info
Black Marshal tames a town in 1870s Colorado Territory.
23.3k words
4.53
7.9k
8
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Greetings all; in my stories my characters exist in my head, but there might be real life inspirations for some of them. Who knows?

As my regular readers are aware, I enjoy writing about people who possess fluid sexuality. Here I tell the story of an ex-slave's time as Marshal in a frontier town in the old American West. The women he encountered weren't as wholesome and the men weren't as macho as the mythical people who tamed the wilderness as seen in movies and on tv. And oh by the way, there were other black and brown people out there too.

~~

"Alright Magnum, have a drink of water while I'm in here and I'll get you fed in a little while," Thomas Jefferson said to his horse as he tied him to the hitching post in front of the Lodgepole Creek Hotel.

He was wary of how he'd be received as he walked into the lobby, but the clerk didn't show any disfavor when he looked at the tawny coloured man. However he did take a long time to decide how to address him.

"Afternoon," he finally uttered neutrally.

"Hey they-ah," said Thomas, being intentionally cordial.

"Can I help you?" asked the stone faced clerk.

"I'd like a room please," answered Thomas respectfully.

"For how long?" asked the clerk coolly.

"Oh, I don't know. One night for now I guess," replied Thomas.

"That'll be two dollars," stated the clerk as he slid the guest registry in front of him.

After hearing how well spoken Thomas was, and then seeing that he could write his name the clerk slightly arched an eyebrow.

Once he was signed in Thomas looked at the curious expression on the clerk's face and spoke in a friendly tone saying, "Could you tell me where the Town Council is meeting?"

"The bank," replied the clerk. "I expect that's where you'll find em."

"Thank you kindly," said Thomas as he accepted his key and headed up the stairs to his room.

~

After inspecting his room and visiting the chamber pot he strode down the wooden sidewalk heading for the bank. Apparently news traveled fast in Lodgepole Creek, because Mr. Mooney Baggs was outside of his office waiting for him. "Good afternoon sir," said the somewhat effeminate man jovially. "We heard that you were here."

The four men sitting around a table glanced at Thomas for a second. He smiled with one side of his mouth then said, "Afternoon gentlemen."

The men only nodded but Mooney Baggs replied while smiling warmly. "You're friend Captain Kirk told me to expect you today. He did a good job describing you." Then he bit his bottom lip.

Hearing the tone of his voice and seeing the look in his eyes made Thomas smile briefly with one side of his mouth before he took off his hat and waited to see what would happen next.

When no one else said anything Thomas looked at the men sitting at the table and named them one by one, based on how Captain Kirk had described them to him, saying, "Mr.. Doone to the tall man who was a Texan, Mr.. Lagrette to the Mexican, Mr. Express to the man with the fair skin who looked to be from back east. Mr. Wagoner to the red faced man Captain Kirk had warned him about. "Pleased to meet all of you." Then he took a couple of steps forward and offered his hand for each of them to shake.

Mario Lagrette and Tony Express stood briefly and accepted his greeting before sitting back down. However Dick Doone held onto his hand and made strong eye to eye contact that lasted long enough for him to pick up on his interest, which caused Thomas to blush at the thought of bottoming for him.

When Thomas didn't look away Dick wondered if he played, and when he saw how flushed his face became he was sure it was due to the signal he'd sent. It'd been too long since the last time he'd busted a nut in a cowboy's asshole and the possibility of tapping Thomas made his cock began to throb.

"I'm afraid Captain Kirk's telegraph didn't say you were coloured," said Red Wagoner, breaking Thomas and Dick's brief gaze at each other.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that," Mario Lagrette quickly assured.

"It's more about the townspeople and who they'll accept as Marshal," explained Anthony 'Tony' Express.

They all knew that the only townspeople Tony Express was talking about was the fifth member of the Town Council, Red Wagoner owner of the Lodgepole Creek Stagecoach Company.

Even though Mooney Baggs knew that was the case, when he saw the look on Thomas's face he felt more compassion for him than a banker usually feels. "If your friend Captain Kirk stood up for ya, that's good enough for me," he announced. Then he looked each of the men sitting around the table in the eye before continuing, "The Colorado Territory hopes to become a state some day and the politicians want the federal government to know that we consider everybody to be equal."

"I agree with that Mooney," said Dick Doone.

"Here-here," said Mario Lagrette and Tony Express in unison.

"I have an idea," said Red. "If ole Thomas here can cleanup this mess with the Hogg brothers even I will have to give him credit for that."

He then looked at Thomas and said, "A coloured rancher by the name of George Washington was found with an Arapahoe arrow in him, then the Hogg brothers came up with the deed to his Bar K ranch after he was found dead. It was signed with an x. Ah-course, being that he was coloured, George couldn't read nor write.

"The thing is, there was no sign of an Arapahoe war party."

"George's wife Kerry is refusing to leave. She had a coloured hired hand working for her but he left after the Hogg boys threatened him. Somebody's got to get it sorted out before something bad happens to her."

Thomas nodded his head; he could see where this was going.

"Something similar happen to Sam, the owner of the Lodgepole Creek Saloon," said Mooney Baggs. "The Hogg brothers brought in a hired gun to run off the fella who owned the saloon because non of the decent folks in town would go to the saloon they own. The owner wouldn't run, so the gunman baited him into a fight and killed him.

"Afterwards the Hoggs mysteriously came up with the deed to the saloon. It's signed with writing that kinda looks like Sam's signature. They claimed they'd bought the place from him, but they were letting him run it. His daughter Sammy works there, but she didn't know anything about her daddy selling it"

"I'd known Sam for a while. I think he would have come to the bank if he was hurting for money."

When Mooney Baggs finished the room was quiet for a moment, but just as Thomas was about to ask for the bottom line Red Wagoner looked at Tony Express and said, "Tony, ain't you gon tell him about the trouble you've been having?"

At that point Thomas rolled his eyes and wondered what he was getting himself into.

Tony Express cleared his throat before saying, "I own the Express Merchandise and Shipping Company. Somebody has been knocking over my shipments of merchandise between here and Julesburg.

"I have other stores in other towns, but I don't want to have to close this one since I live here."

Thomas bit his bottom lip and exhaled. He'd have a hell of a job ahead of him if they hired him. At least they were honest about what he'd be getting himself into.

Just as he was making up his mind whether or not to accept Red Wagoner's proposal the door to the bank opened. When he turned to see who it was, he saw someone with his head wrapped up like a mummy stumble inside. His right arm was in a sling and when he walked with the help of a crutch he was obviously in a lot of pain.

"Afternoon gentlemen. Sorry I'm late. I ain't movin as fast as I used too," he said.

"No need to apologize Marshal," said Dick.

"I used to be the Marshal. Ain't no more," the man quickly reminded him.

"What in tarnation happened to you?" asked Thomas while eyeing him up and down, before looking him in the eye through the gap between the bandages.

I got busted up like this by Bo Hogg while his no account brother watched," the former Marshal replied.

"Are you going to be okay?" asked Thomas with real concern.

"Uh, yeah, I'm alright, I'm alright," he responded as he waved the hand he was using to hold his crutch. "Specially compared to the two Marshals before me, they're dead."

Hearing him say that made Thomas's sphincter tightened reflexively and he raised an eyebrow as the former Marshal kept talking. "I'm sure the Councilmen have told you about all the things they suspicion the Hoggs of. Let me add another one for you, or make it two.

"Bo got drunk, which he does every day that ends in y. Anyhow, he made the sissy who works here as a teller for Mooney Baggs suck his dick at gunpoint." Then the Marshal abruptly stopped in midsentence and looked at the teller who was keeping the minutes of the meeting.

When Thomas glanced over at him the mortified teller's head was bowed and his eyes were focused on the logbook he was writing in.

The Marshal then continued, saying, "No offense intended there teller... Uh, like I was saying, when I tried to arrest Bo he pistol whipped me to within an inch of my life." Then he paused for a second and looked closely at Thomas. "I'm all drugged up on laudanum count of my busted ribs. Ain't sure if-n everything I see is real. You're a high yella coloured rather than white ain't ya?"

"Uh, yes-surr, I guess I am," acknowledged Thomas.

"Just checking," said the Marshal. "Looky here, this badge is yours to keep if you can bring Bo in for trial."

Thomas looked the former Marshal in his eyes through the gap between the bandages, then took the badge lying on the desk and pinned it on his chest.

"Just so as you know, you ain't hired till after you bring Bo Hogg in," said Red Wagoner.

Which meant that Thomas was laying his life on the line for free, but Red Wagoner had no way of knowing that Thomas didn't care about money when it came to defending women, children, LGBTQ people, or dogs. Cats he was iffy about.

"Where can I find Bo Hogg?" he asked coldly.

"Either the Hogg Ranch Saloon or the Lodgepole Creek Saloon," replied the former Marshal.

Thomas then looked at the Councilmen. "I'll be back in a few minutes," he said

~

He walked along the planked sidewalk on main street with his 12 gauge sawed off shotgun in his left hand. Just as he was about to enter the Lodgepole Creek Saloon Butch Hogg rode by on his wagon. He'd just picked up a load of cheap whiskey from the Express Merchandise And Shipping Company and he was drinking from one of the bottles.

When Thomas turned to look at him, Butch saw his androgynous face and long curly hair.

"What the hell are you?" he demanded, as he pushed his dirty beat-up hat higher up his head.

"We don't allow no coloured she-men in there," he grumbled and then spat.

Just then one of the saloon girls touched Thomas on the arm. "Don't pay him any attention Mr.," she pleaded. "Come on in."

"You'd better stay your ass away from me or I'll tear you a new one," said Thomas as he looked at the man with anger in his eyes.

After Butch Hogg glanced at the sawed off shotgun and quickly calmed himself, Thomas turned around and followed the woman inside. He stopped as soon as he was away from the door and said, "Where can I find Bo Hogg?"

"You was just talking to his brother Butch Hogg. Bo is at the Hogg Ranch Saloon, I think," answered the woman."

Listening to her voice and looking into her brown eyes felt familiar to Thomas. "You're two spirited aren't you?" he said to her so no one else could hear.

Her eyes searched his for quite a few seconds looking for trust. When she found it she said, "Yes, but only a few people know about me. I'm Sammy. Sam was my daddy."

"Are you a working girl?" he asked, out of curiosity.

"Yes, but I only suck dick and Jack men off," she explained.

As he listened to her he recognized something else. "You're coloured aren't you?" he said.

Her eyes immediately went wide open and she looked terrified. "Me and daddy been passing," she admitted. Only the coloured folk in town know."

"Your secret is safe with me," he said. "You have my word."

"Thank you," she whispered, then she looked at the floor as she fought back tears of relief.

Once she gathered herself she looked at him with doe eyes and said, "What do you want with that awful Bo Hogg?"

"I'm gon find out the truth about your daddy's killing," he stated, then he tipped his hat and left.

~

He opened the door to the Hogg Ranch Saloon a few minutes later and the smell almost made him gag. After coughing and shaking his head to clear it he spied four men sitting at a table playing cards. He recognized one of them as Butch Hogg. After a quick scan of the other men's grizzly faces he figured that the one who looked like Butch was Bo Hogg.

The men stared him down with contempt, but the fact that his scatter gun was in his left hand with his finger on the trigger made sure they didn't do anything other than stare.

When he was standing a foot or so from Bo Hogg he looked him in the eyes and said, "You're under arrest for sexual assault and bad manners." Then he paused and squinted before adding, "And in case any of you is thinking about being brave I'll blow his head clean off his shoulders."

Unfortunately for Bo the booze gave him liquid courage and his disdain for the coloured man challenging him caused him to spring to his feet.

But before he had completely stood up Thomas had the scattergun inches from his temple. Butch Hogg and the gunslinger both went for their guns. Thomas shot both of them dead without taking his eyes off Bo Hogg.

The fourth man at the table peed himself.

Thomas's stare at Bo intensified then he spoke through clenched teeth saying, "Who killed George Washington?"

"His quack doctor," replied Bo Hogg.

"Not president George Washington you fucking idiot," said Thomas with such anger spittle flew out of his mouth. "You're a fucking wise guy, huh," he stated as he grabbed him by the balls. "I'm talking about the coloured one who owned the Bar K," he explained as he squeezed Bo's nuts with a vice like grip

People outside the saloon could here Bo's caterwauling and less than a minute later he'd confessed to killing George Washington, hiring the gunslinger to kill Sam the barkeep, assaulting the teller, and apologized for every time he cursed in front of a lady. After Thomas released his hold on him he shuffled out of the saloon hunched over with both of his hands holding his package.

"Sweet Jesus, he busted my nuts," Bo said to the Councilmen waiting outside of the saloon. He kept repeating it between sobs as he slowly walked toward the jail with Thomas holding the barrel of his scattergun against the back of his head.

Once he was locked up the former Marshal stood near the bars of his cell and tormented him. "The coloured Marshal busted your nuts didn't he. Now you know how I feel don't ya?" he said with a satisfied sneer. "Here, take soma my laudanum. Just joking."

Meanwhile a partly disappointed Red Wagoner said, "The Council meets every Monday. We'll let you know our decision then."

"Today is Monday," Mooney Baggs pointed out.

"We already adjourned," said Red Wagoner.

Being that he was younger than the other Councilmen Mario Lagrette kept his opinion to himself. Tony Express was visibly annoyed but being an Easterner; he was hesitant to challenge someone who clearly wasn't a gentleman.

However the big Texan Dick Doone didn't suffer from either of those shortcomings. He exchanged looks with both of them then said, "Red, he brought in Bo Hogg like you said. We know how we're gonna vote, what's the use in waiting?"

"Cause that's the rules," replied Red Wagoner with a look that said he was going to stand his ground.

Dick Doone narrowed his eyes as he glared at him for a second, but quickly checked himself. They were trying to become a civilized town, so it wouldn't look good to have two Councilmen fighting among themselves.

Thomas sensed the tension in Dick and nipped things in the bud saying, "I'll see yawl at the next Council meeting on Monday."

~~

As Thomas rode his horse to the livery stable to be fed and put up overnight he actually didn't intend to stay in town. He'd get a good night's sleep and leave Tuesday. When he stopped his horse Magnum at the entrance to the stable a big black bear of a man said, "Hey there Marshal. What can I do fah ya?"

"I'm not the Marshal," said Thomas. "But you can feed my horse and rub him down, and I'll pick him up tomorrow."

"Yes-surr," replied the big man as he took the reins of Thomas's horse and led him into the barn. "You're the man that shot-up the Hogg Ranch Saloon ain't ya?"

"Uh, I guess so," replied Thomas as he was about to leave, but the big fella kept talking.

"You cleaned out that Hogg pen is what you did," he stated, then he laughed at his own joke.

"Them Hoggs was some mean and hateful fellas. I always suspicioned they was behind Sam Adam and George Washington's killing. They wuz good men."

He then stopped tending to the horse and looked at Thomas as he said, "My wife told me that you know Sammy and her daddy were passing. We didn't mind em doing it because they could get white men like Red Wagoner to do things they wouldn't do if a coloured person ask them. We'd be obliged if you don't say anything about it to the white folks."

"I promised Sammy that I'd keep it to myself," responded Thomas now standing there with his hands on his hips as he heard the man out.

"This is a fine Stallion you got here," commented Buck randomly. "Looks like an Army horse."

"He is," confirmed Thomas.

"His sheath needs cleaning," Buck informed him as he inspected the horse. That'll cost you an extra bit."

"George Washington seemed to always have money," he stated, getting back on topic as randomly as he'd left it. "That had something to do with his killing, I think,"

"He had a young wife named Kerry. She ain't the prettiest thing, but woo lawd, that gal is a stallion in her own right."

When he was done Thomas said, "I sure appreciate the information. If I stay around it'll come in handy, but right now I think I'll go to the Lodgepole Creek Saloon and have a beer."

"Yes-surr, it was good talking to you," said Buck. "Tell my wife hey for me if you don't mind. Her name is Mary."

~~

When Thomas walked into the saloon Sammy hurried over to him to see if he was alright. She'd followed him to the Hogg Ranch Saloon, and she was outside when the shooting started.

"I was worried about you and I don't even know your name," she said to him emotionally.

"It's Thomas," he replied. "Can I have a beer?"

"Of course," she responded. "Mary will you bring a beer for Thomas please?"

"Miss Mary, Buck said to tell you hey for him," said Thomas with a questioning look.

The full figured, big breasted dark skinned woman smiled big because she knew that that was her and Buck's secret signal to let her know that it was alright to flirt with Thomas if she wanted to.

"I sure preciate that sugah," she replied. "What kind of beer you want, regular or cold?"

"Uh, regular," replied Thomas.

"She returned a moment later, sat the beer on the table in front of him and said, "Are you gon be the new Marshal?"

"Don't know," answered Thomas, who was now thinking of sticking around since he started getting friendly with her, Buck and Sammy.

With business being slow that time of day the three of them sat at the table and got to talking, with Mary doing most of it. She started off by asking Thomas where he was from.

"I come from Virginia," he replied to her.

"You ain't one of President Thomas Jefferson's kin are you?" she asked half seriously.

"No ma'am. I took his name after I was set free by my father.

"Hm," went Mary with a smirk. "We know all about the fox guarding the henhouse don't we Sammy?"

"Yes we do," she replied with sadness in her voice. "My granddaddy was my masa too.