Michael or Mac Ep. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bamo68
Bamo68
783 Followers

Life has quietened down a little, and time seems to pass without any bother. Ron loves his new job, and Kim seems happier having him home. I wonder how long that will last. Ron appears to have a plan to get out of the house occasionally and improve his golfing handicap.

With Ron changing jobs and his income increased by almost twenty percent, they seem keen on paying for Emma's college education. This has become more prevalent now because Emma has set her mind on doing an Environmental course and wildlife preservation. This has one small problem. The best University is over an hour and a half away from Boston, or she will have to apply to Harvard. I think she can get in, but she has left it a little late to change any classes at school. This adds a little pressure because she will need to up her SAT scores again.

We are now spending most evenings together going through her studies. She has gotten her studying practices down and finds learning a lot easier. She is also using her computer to do more than history and has managed to apply a variation to the data storage technic I showed her. We often spend hours together, not talking with Emma going through what she has learned and what they are about to learn. We talked about her understanding of what she has learned, and I'm convinced she can get into Harvard.

******

It's the Wednesday before we break up for the festive period. I'm looking forward to the Christmas holiday and spending some quality time with Emma. I also collect my new truck and car trailer from Moody's on Saturday.

I'm out of the swimming pool a little earlier than usual and find myself in the centre of the mass exodus. Emma spots me, and I see her bump Donna. They move closer to me without a word, and I find people trying to keep their distance from the three girls. This has a knock-on effect, making a hole for me to walk while they ignore me.

As we get out to the car park, all three girls freeze as they spot Kirt getting into Josh's car. Kirt turns his head when Josh points out that they're being watched, and as Josh lays some rubber pulling away, Kirt gives the three the bird out of the passenger window.

Traffic seems a little lighter than usual as I pull out of the school's entrance. I notice Donna pull up behind me at the first traffic lights. The lights turn green, and we set off toward home. As we pass the MacDonald's on the right, I see Josh's car parked up a side street. As soon as we pass, he gets in the traffic a couple of cars behind. I can see that the girls have seen them in my rear-view mirror and are not looking happy about it.

There's another set of traffic lights coming up, and the light is red. I slow and notice Josh is driving down the outside of the traffic, indicating left. He slows to a crawl as he passes Donna's car before stopping next to mine. There seems to be no traffic going through the lights, and I am tempted to go.

Josh is revving the engine as I feel them both staring into my car. Before the light change, Josh hits the throttle and drops the clutch. He moves across the first lane without looking but gets no traction as his wheels spin. I hear a loud horn before a sixteen-wheeler comes into view. It hits Josh's car rupturing the fuel tank. The car is sent spinning out of control, spilling gasoline all over the road.

I hear a woman scream, and I am transported back over ten years. I find myself in the dark, sitting in the rear of my father's SUV. The front end of the SUV has been virtually torn off, and I can feel the heat of a fire on my face. I am dazed and feel wet down the side of my face. I put my hand up and touch my head. A car's headlights illuminate my blood-covered hand as I bring it in front of my eyes. I see a man running towards me, and as he reaches me, he starts tugging at my seatbelt, frantically trying to free me. My chest tightens, and I am finding it hard to breathe.

I feel someone tugging my belt and hear a girl's voice calling me. It's a voice I recognize. The sudden sunlight makes me look away as I am brought back to the now. Everything is in slow motion as I look into Emma's panicked eyes. I catch the word 'Fire' as I glance towards the stricken vehicle that now resembles something in the local breaker's yard.

"Mac," Emma screams. I look across the road and see a small fire. I get out of the car and run across the street towards the crumpled heap wrapped around a telegraph pole. I look into the car, and both occupants are not moving. The only side that is not entirely demolished is the passenger's side. I pull on the door, but it doesn't budge. Putting my hand through the open window, I pull on the door handle, and the central locking pops open. I pull on the door again but only manage to open it a couple of inches. Getting my hand on the edge of the door, I pull with all my strength as the door suddenly gives, causing me to fall back.

I get to my feet and first pull Kirt from the car. As I run back towards the car, the gas on the ground suddenly ignites, and the flames move towards the car. I crawl inside and loosen Josh's belt. I can feel the heat of the fire getting closer now. I know I shouldn't be moving Josh, but it's do, or he dies. The guy is a total ass, but he doesn't deserve to die.

His body falls across onto the passenger seat as I pull, and I have to get my feet on the ground before I finally pull him free and away. As I turn back, the flames reach the car and instantly engulf the rear, and then the rest goes up.

Putting Josh down next to Kirt, I walk away to the other side of the road and sit on the sidewalk. Emma comes straight over and sits next to me, resting her head on my shoulder in a daze, not believing what just happened. I start to shake and then throw up. My chest tightens up again, and I can't breathe. Emma wraps her arms around me, instantly forgetting everything and concentrating on me.

She knew about how my parents died and understands why I am reacting this way. I fall apart as she lets me let it all out. All the years I have shut the car crash away comes flooding out. All the pain of losing my parents, but the overwhelming feeling is that I am in the right place to let it all out. Emma wraps me in her love and holds me tight. I pull her in tight, letting her know I need her.

"You're my hero Ma......What's wrong with Mac?" Donna asks, shocked at the state I'm in.

Emma looks up, putting her chin on top of my head. "Don't you know how his parents died?" Emma says, mouthing the 'parents died' part.

"Oh shit, was he there?" Emma nods, and Donna's eyes double in size.

"I think he had a flashback. I shocked him out of it, but now the whole thing has just got too much." Donna walks over and puts her arms around both of us.

"It's okay, Mac. You saved their worthless asses," Donna says, showing no sympathy for either her ex-boyfriend or Josh.

Then I hear Emma say, "Mia, what are you doing?" I feel a third person press against my side.

"Oh, I thought it was a hug the hero moment," she says.

Emma doesn't want to make a scene, so she doesn't say much else. There's a moment of silence, and I feel a calming sensation wash over me as the three young ladies show they truly care about my wellbeing.

I can hear the muffled sound of the sirens getting close. We all jump as one of the tyres from Joshes car explodes from the heat of the fire.

"Mac, Mac, are you okay?" I hear Susan shout.

Emma again looks up. "He's okay, Susan. He's gone into shock' but other than that, he's okay."

"You should have seen him, Susan," Donna says. "He pulled Josh and Kirt out of their car before it burst into flames."

"Christ, I'm not surprised he's gone into shock. He got pulled from his parent's burning car." Susan steps closer and taps Mia on the shoulder. Mia moves aside, and Susan kneels next to me. She touches my face, which is still buried in Emma's neck. "Mac, can you look at me?" I don't move. She repeats, "Mac, can you please look at me." This time she pulls me gently to face her. My head turns, but she can see that I'm not there. "We need to get him to see a doctor. Where's his phone?"

"It'll be in his backpack," Emma says. She looks up with a concerned-looking Mia. "Mia, can you get Mac's phone from his car? It will be in the side pocket of his backpack."

Mia hurries off, happy to be given something to do. By now, two fire trucks and three ambulances have arrived. The guy driving the sixteen-wheeler is fine, so the medics concentrate on Josh and Kirt.

As soon as Mia returns with my phone, Susan takes it, finds my psychiatrist's number, and presses the call button. "Dr. Hamly's office."

"Hello, my name is Susan Harper. I was the guardian of one of your patients, a Michael Carter."

"Oh yes, I remember Michael. How can I help?"

"We are at the scene of a serious accident where Michael has just pulled two boys out of a burning car before having some relapse and has gone into shock."

"Could you hold the line, Mrs. Harper? I will put you through to the Doctor."

"Hello, Doctor Hamly speaking." Susan went through what she told the receptionist, and the Doctor instructed us to get me admitted to the hospital so I could be stabilized. Susan runs over to one of the ambulances and gives the paramedic my phone. He talks to Doctor Hamly and then rushes over to me. He moves everyone away other than Emma and then gives me a sedative. I feel my eyelids get heavy, and everything goes black.

*******

"What time is your flight in the morning, Baby?" My Mom asks my Dad.

"Alec is picking me up at half seven," he replies.

My Mom looks back as headlights light up her face on full beam from behind. She seems unconcerned as she gives me her loving smile, "are you okay, Mac?"

I nod and say, "yes, Ma."

She touches my knee. "We will be ho...."

My Dad shouts, "what the hell is this idio.....ahhhh." I hear my mother scream.

My eyes shoot open, and I sit up, sweating and breathing hard. Emma rushes across the room from a temporary bed in the corner and embraces me. My chest again tightens, and I feel like I will pass out. I try to focus on being held and find myself slowly gaining control.

The door opens, and a nurse comes in. She stands with what looks like a syringe in her hand for a moment. Seeing that I am calming down as Emma holds me, she puts the sedative down and waits to talk.

Feeling Emma's love flow into me, I close my eyes. Tears run down my face as the memory of my nightmare whirls around in my head.

The door opens, and Dr. Hamly walks in. Instantly I know I'm not in NC anymore.

"Hello Michael, I would say welcome back, but I feel that isn't entirely appropriate." He pauses for a reaction, but I am in Emma's arms and have no intention of letting go of her any time soon. "You must be Emma," he says, changing tact.

"Yes, how do you know who I am?" Emma asks.

"Michael here talked about you when he was here after his Grandmother passed."

I chose this moment to lift my head and look at Emma. She smiles a loving smile and kisses me gently on the lips. "Are you back with me, baby?"

I nod and ask, "how long have I been here?"

"It's Friday morning. You have been here two days, my love." She pushes the hair back from my face. "So, what made you scream and nearly give me a heart attack?"

I lay my head back down and snuggle into Emma's cuddle. "The accident triggered the memories of my parent's death."

"You've never really talked to me about the accident."

I'm feeling safe in Emma's arms, so I continue. "I know. Before Wednesday, I had blocked it from my memory."

Emma suddenly realizes the magnitude of this conversation, and she looks at the Doctor to check she's not hurting me in any way. Dr. Hamly is stood listening and nods for her to continue. "So, before Wednesday, you had no recollection at all?"

"None."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"There's not much to it. I was only little and strapped into my car seat in my Dads SUV. I remember being a little fed up because we had been on the road forever. I go through my dream piece by piece and even describe the man who pulled me from the burning remains of Dad's SUV. I lift my head and look into Emma's teary eyes. "We need to find the man who saved me. I need to thank him personally," I say.

"If that's what you want to do, baby," Emma says, her voice breaking as she speaks.

"Hey, don't cry, Em," I say, kissing away her tears, making her worse. We adjust ourselves on the bed, holding each other as we relax, and I fall asleep.

I wake with the sound of the door opening and a trolly being wheeled in. "Right, who do we have here? Ah, Michael Carter?" The woman looks at me, "you're Michael Carter? Any relation to the Carters this wing is named after?"

"Mmmm, yes." I look around for Emma, but she's not there. "Do you know where my girlfriend is?"

"Sorry, no. So, what part of the family are you?" I don't answer and get up and go to the door. I look out but can't see her along the corridor. "Your girlfriend is most probably getting some dinner." The nurse says as she looks at her clipboard. "Right, shall we get started?"

"Started?"

"Yes, you were out for the count when you came in on Thursday morning, and I need to check you over and ask you some questions."

"Okay," I say as I sit on the bed.

"So, you didn't answer my question."

"Which one?"

"Are you related to the Carter family whose name is on the building?"

"Does it matter?" I say, feeling a little uncomfortable Emma isn't here.

"Not really; I was just making conversation." She says looking a little uncomfortable.

I see Emma through the window, and she has Olivia with her. I sigh, close my eyes to calm myself, and say, "sorry, that was rude. Yes, I am related to the family whose name is on the front of this building. If I recall, my Mother started the foundation that the children's ward is funded. This part was built out of thanks for taking care of me after the crash that killed my parents."

The nurse stands there for a moment, not knowing how to react. Emma and Olivia take this moment to open the door. "Is it okay if we come in?" Emma asks.

"Yes, please come in and help me take my foot out of my mouth."

Olivia frowns, "have we missed something here?"

I smile for the first time today. "It's okay, Olivia. The nurse who still hasn't introduced herself was going to ask some questions and check me over."

"Shit," the nurse says. She looks at me. "Am I going to have a job in the morning?"

I smile. "You'll still be in here at this rate."

"Glad to see your sense of hummer hasn't deserted you, Mac," Olivia says as she comes over and hugs me. "How are you feeling, sweetie?"

"I've been better. Do you mind if we let the nurse do what she's got to do?"

"Michael, I am nurse Hamly. I will need to do your vitals first and then ask you a couple of questions about how you are feeling physically."

"Okay, any relation to Dr. Hamly?"

"Yes, he's my father."

"And he's never mentioned me before?"

"No, he never talks about work at home."

"Okay, Nurse Hamly, please continue."

She takes my vitals and listens to my heart. Then she asks me some questions about my lifestyle and eating habits. I get asked whether I drink or smoke, to which Emma laughs. Once the nurse had gotten into her stride, she quickly goes through it and is out the door.

Right, I'm starving. Can we go to the canteen for something to eat?"

"Aren't you meant to stay in your room?"

"Not usually; I just let the nurses know where I am going."

We go out, and I check with the nurse's station if it's okay to go down to the canteen. They give me the all-clear, and we set off.

Once we sit with our lunch, I turn to Emma. "So, where's Paps?"

"Oh, he stayed the first night, and I did second. He should be back this afternoon sometime."

"Olivia, how's the investigation going?"

"We have all the payments and proof and are now going through the company records to line them up. It looks like Bob didn't know the full story either. We stumbled on some money laundering as well."

"To what value?"

"We are still finding them. I think it was close to fifty million at the last count."

"The problem is that it's turned from a local to a federal case. That does play in our favour a little because it will bring in the FBI."

"I'm not so sure. If it was local, we couldn't contain it. An FBI investigation could take years, and he could disappear in that time."

"Mmmm, but they are more secretive, and nothing will come out until the trial."

"Yes, the shorter the exposure, the less the damage." I look at Emma, who is listening with an open mouth. "So, what happens now?" I ask.

"I will finish collating the company books, and then I will contact the FBI." Olivia thinks for a moment, "it would be nice to play your Uncle at his own game. You remember the five-year rule. I'm guessing that the company will show a small profit this year."

"And you are thinking about making the company make a sudden loss this year?"

"Not sure yet. I will need to have a word with Bob and see if there's something we can do."

"Anyway, enough business," Emma says. "Mac needs to focus on getting better, and his lunch is getting cold."

"Sorry, she's right," Olivia says, looking more serious. "How are you feeling, Mac?"

"I'm not sure. This morning, I woke feeling like I was hit by that truck. Now I feel overly fine."

"That will be the meds you're coming off. They heavily sedated you to bring you here to control the damage."

We eat our lunch and make our way upstairs. We pass Dr. Hamly doing his rounds, and he smiles at me as he sees me walk past, holding Emma's hand. Olivia makes sure I am settled in my room before leaving, shortly after Dr. Hamly walks in.

"Good afternoon Michael. How are you feeling?"

"Hi Doc, I feel I should be feeling ill, but at this moment, I feel fine." He looks at me and considers my answer. "Olivia thinks it's my medication not fully worn off."

"That would be the assumption, but there are several possible reasons. The first is that Emma here holds the key to your entire consciousness. How did you feel when you woke up this morning?"

"Like I had been hit by that truck."

"What did you do to control your feelings?"

"I hugged Emma."

Again, he thinks. "Michael, we will keep you in for a couple of days to make sure you aren't feeling a false high, and we will go into the where's and what for's in a more controlled environment. Rest for now, and I will see you in the morning. I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised at how well you are doing. If all goes well, you will be home for Christmas."

I'm surprised by this. My last relapse had me in hospital for five weeks, and I was far more sedated than I am now.

Paps turns up mid-afternoon and is pleased to see me up out of bed. He's even happier when we tell him that I should be out before Christmas. Shortly after going down for lunch, Paps takes Emma back to the Hotel.

Just before nine, Nurse Hamly comes in to do the last check of the day. "Michael, some of the nurses on the ward have said that you look a lot like someone on YouTube."

"Apparently so," I say, not giving anything away.

"So, not only are you rich, you're becoming famous?"

"Nah, you couldn't call it fame. My next-door neighbour in Belmont near Charlotte made a recording and did a couple of live seasons on Facebook and Tik Tok."

"So, it is you?"

"Mmmm, yeah."

"Do you know Miley Cyrus then?"

I laugh and shake my head. "Yes, Miley and I know each other."

"Wow, I grew up on Hannah Montana. I went to a charity ball years ago where she was the guest of honour."

"Really? I was at the same ball myself."

"No way. Did you get to meet her back then?"

"Yes, my Mom knew I was a fan and embarrassed me with a surprise meeting. She organized the entire ball. Miley was the patron for the charity that benefited that year."

Bamo68
Bamo68
783 Followers