Michael or Mac Ep. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, I guess that makes sense." She takes in a sharp intake of breath. "Was your mother a really beautiful blond lady with a blue/green dress on?"

"Yes, that was my mom."

"Lovely lady, she had time for everyone. I was with my father, and I needed the toilet. Your Mom escorted me and stayed with me until I was safe back with my Dad."

"That's how I remember her. A very caring woman."

"There you go; you seem to be okay. Can I get you anything before I leave, Michael?"

"No, thank you, other than you can call me Mac."

"Okay, Mac, I will see you tomorrow."

She walks out of the door, and I hear some very exciting voices before the door slowly closes on its own.

The following day I'm sitting in Dr. Hamly's office. We have been talking a while, and he's asking lots of questions. He is reluctant to put me on any medication and has listened to me talk about my recent life. From the concert to Thanksgiving, I speak about my experiences, and the Doc takes notes.

"So, Michael, how do you feel about being recognized?" He asks.

"Not sure; it's not been too intrusive, so I guess I can cope."

"And your trips up to Boston? How did that go?"

"The worse part was being away from Emma. I know we've only been together a short while, but everything seems right with her around."

Dr. Hamly thinks for a minute, "you didn't answer the question."

"Boston was fine. I found the lectures far easier to understand being there. I didn't feel any anxiety or negative thoughts. My focus was on what I was there for."

"I have to admit that you are a different person since the last time I saw you. What do you think has caused this change."

I take a deep breath. "It would be easy to say, Emma, but I think I have reached that point where I can move forward without fear. Emma gives me that stability to give me the confidence not to hide behind the mask."

"Is the mask still there?"

"My school one is, but it's beginning to slip."

"In what way?"

"More people know who's behind the hat and glasses."

"Michael, I won't pretend that I think you are cured, but you have taken many steps forward. I am reluctant to interfere with something that is obviously working for you and for now will let you do this at your own pace. We will keep you here until Monday, as long as you have no reaction to the accident."

"Okay, Doc, are we done?"

"I hope so, Michael, and yes, you can go." I get up to leave. As I get to the door, Doctor Hamly asks, "Oh, one thing. What is my daughter going on about you and Miley Cyrus?"

I turn as I open the door. "Didn't you know? I'm becoming famous." I say, then disappear.

I get back to my room, and Emma is talking to Nurse Hamly about our trip to Nashville. As soon as I walk through the door, Emma walks over and kisses me. "Hey baby, how did it go?"

"Yeah, okay. He says that I can get out of here on Monday as long as I have no relapse."

"That's good, baby. I was just talking to Kerry about our trip to Nashville."

"Kerry? Sorry, Kerry, I hadn't asked your first name. Yes, we had a great weekend."

Kerry comes over, "I need to do your obs, Michael. You are so lucky to meet both Miley and Billy Ray. Did you manage to play anything together?"

"That was the main reason for going, but I can't tell you what we did, so don't ask."

"I looked you up on YouTube last night. All I can say is wow."

"I'm still not used to being recognized. It's strange that people are so familiar with me."

"Right arm, please. I can only imagine. I'm not sure if I want to be famous." There's a silence in the room as the machine pumps up the strap on my arm. The machine beeps, it's done, and Kerry fills in my chart. "So, what caused the relapse?"

"Two idiots from school decided to run a red light right in front of Mac and got taken out by a sixteen-wheeler. Mac pulled both guys from the wreckage before they burned to death. He then went into shock, so your Dad asked the paramedics to sedate him, and we got him down in his company jet."

"Yep, that would do it. Especially with your history. That makes you a hero in my books, though, Michael."

"Kerry, if you continue to call me Michael, I will start calling you Nurse Hamly. Most people call me Mac."

Kerry's face lights up. "Okay, Mac, it is. Right, I am done. Is there anything I can get you?"

"No, I'm good. Thank you, Kerry." She wheels her implement of torcher out, leaving me alone with Emma.

"Where's Paps today Em?"

"He's downtown in the head office building. He's with Olivia going through the process of getting your idea of updating the building."

"I've got to get used to people doing things I talk about. It's strange to have an idea, and the next thing someone is working on it, to make it a reality."

"You've got a while before you have to take complete control. You'll be a great boss." We smile at each other. "Mac, Donna, has been messaging me wanting to know if she should say anything on her Tik Tok, and she's also wanting an update."

"I don't want people knowing my private life, Em. Have you told her we will be home Tuesday?"

"Not yet. I think I'll wait until we know for sure."

We settle into the day, enjoying each other's company, and the day fly's past. Paps comes in and gives me an update. He's got a photographer to take pictures of the building to help with the new designs.

******

The weekend is uneventful, and Monday comes around. I have another talk with Dr. Hamly, and he seems happy. If anything, saving Kirt and Josh has given me a huge confidence boost. Dr. Hamly gives me the okay to return home.

Once out of the hospital, Emma and I decide to walk back to the Hotel. The route takes me past a building that I have known all my life. It is a big, beautiful Art Deco building in the city's centre and a landmark for many. Before the second world war, my family built it to demonstrate their allegiance to the city of Charleston.

We have tried many times to extend the building and increase capacity, so all the companies can have an office in the building. As the company has grown, it has outgrown the building since my parent's amalgamation. We need space at least twice the size, but the city council has stamped a preservation order on the place.

I stop outside the front doors and look at the company logo in stained glass that sits proudly above a giant revolving door. I remember when you had to push the door to get in. For a six-year-old, it was quite a task.

I pull Emma into the revolving door, and we step forward as the door rotates. As the colossal reception area comes into view, Emma gasps as we step out. The company logo is the first thing that hits you inlaid into the floor.

"Certain times of the year, when the sun is out, the stained-glass window fits precisely over the mosaic," I say as I guide her to the side wall where there are some paintings. I point to the most prominent, "my mother and father."

"That picture is the same as the photo in your room. Did the artist take it from that?"

"The artist took the picture and worked on the body posture and background. My parents had to pose for him to get their features right."

"I can see that the faces are slightly different."

"Excuse me, can I help you?" A young voice from behind says, breaking our focus. Emma and I turn at the same time, and the girl gasps. "It's you off of YouTube, Mac, and Emma."

I smile out of disbelief. "Wow, the last place I thought we would be recognized is here Em." I look at her name tag and open my mouth to speak. Before anything comes out, the young lady turns towards the front door. A large black car has pulled up outside, and someone behind the desk has shouted 'places.'

The young girl turns to us with a worried look. "Would you mind sitting over there for a minute?"

Intrigued by what is happening, I say, "sure, no problem." I take hold of Emma's hand, and we walk over to the seats. No sooner have we sat than a largish gentleman in a designer suit is visible getting out of the car.

"Who's that?" Emma says.

"Uncle bloody Calvin," I say through gritted teeth.

He sweeps through like he owns the place. "So that's the infamous Uncle Calvin," Emma says.

"Yeah, not sure what's just happened. Nobody should be treated like that, especially here. The idea of this place is to produce a neutral environment where people can have open and constructive conversations. The staff here are only answerable to one person from the company."

"Don't tell me, you?"

"In time, but at the moment, Paps."

Stephany, the girl from before, comes back over smiling. "Stephany, what just happened?"

Her smile slips, "Oh, he's one of the big bosses and gets angry if things aren't right."

"But he does not have the power within these walls. Where is Matt Costa?"

"Mr. Costa will be on the fourth floor with...I'm sorry, but how can I help you?"

I get up, "I need you and Matt to meet me in my office in fifteen minutes. Is Olivia here?" Stephany has frozen to the spot, not quite knowing what to do. "Stephany, Is my assistant Olivia here yet?"

"Your assistant Olivia?" It's slowly dawning on her who I am. "Ummm, yes. She was in at nine."

There's another call from the desk for Stephany to take her place. I look towards the door and see Paps on his way. He stops and talks to the doorman and then walks in. Stephany is planted on the spot, not knowing whether to go to the reception desk or stay with me. "It's okay. You can stay here." The guy behind the desk glares in my direction but then rearranges himself as Paps negotiates the rotating door.

He spots me, and a huge smile spreads across his face. Matt Costa appears in front of him and shakes his hand. Paps says something to him, then walks over to me.

"Thought you might pop in here on the way back to the Hotel. Matt, do you recognize this young man?" Paps turns to Matt for his answer as Matt looks at me.

It takes a couple of seconds, but then it clicks. "Michael? It's been a while since you've been here. Wow, you've filled out like your Dad. It's a pleasure to see you again." He then turns to Stephany, "Stephany, why are you still here?"

I cut in, "She's here because I've asked her to be here. I would like to have a conversation with you and her in my office in fifteen minutes."

"Is there something wrong?"

"Not sure, but time will tell." I look at Paps, who is letting me take control of the situation without him getting involved. "Fifteen minutes Matt."

We make our way to the elevator and up to the top floor. As the elevator doors open, the woman behind the desk looks at us with wide eyes. "Mr. Walker, Mr. Carter," she says as we exit the elevator."

"Mac, this is Jaden. Jaden, this is the real boss, Mac."

"It's a pleasure to meet you...." She hesitates for a second before saying, "Mr. Carter."

I smile at her, "it's okay, Jaden, you can call me Mac."

"Mac," Olivia says as she comes into the reception area. "How are you feeling, sweetie?"

"Hi Olivia, I'm fine. I just saw Uncle Calvin enter the building. All that was missing was a fanfare." Jaden stifles a laugh and then composes herself as everyone looks at her.

"Jaden, this is my girlfriend, Emma." Jaden nods toward Emma.

"Can I get you anything?"

"I could do with a coffee, please." I look at Emma, "Em, do you want anything?" Emma nods, a little unsure what to do. "Make that two, please, Jaden."

"Is that why you've asked Matt and that receptionist up here?" Paps asks.

"Yeah, the way the staff reacted to him entering wasn't the relaxed, welcoming atmosphere it should have been. I would like to know what has caused the change."

"I got the same feeling when I walked in," Paps says. We walk towards my office. Well, I say my office, but for the moment it's Paps office.

As soon as we are in the office with the doors closed, Olivia asks, "Is it possible for you two to try to avoid Calvin for now. I don't want anything to slip out before we are ready to act."

"Okay, no talking to Calvin."

Jaden comes in with the coffee and sets them on the table next to the office's couch. Shortly after, both Matt and Stephany walk in, looking worried.

"Please take a seat. Thank you both for coming, and before I start, I want you to know neither of you has done anything wrong." I take a sip of my coffee. "What concerns me, and Paps has picked up on the same thing, is the atmosphere when Uncle Calvin walked in. It also happened just before Paps walked in but to a lesser extent."

"Mr. Carter," Matt starts. "We like to give a high standard of service when the executives come to town."

"Matt, please call me Mac. That's all well and good, but my parents encouraged a relaxed and happy atmosphere when I was young. When Uncle Calvin walked in, it was far from a happy moment. I detected fear."

"Unfortunately, your Uncle doesn't see things the same way."

I sit there thinking for a moment. "Stephany, what are your experiences?"

"Oh, ummm." She looks at Matt and then at Me. "Your Uncle is the one CEO that uses the building the most, and he gets involved in the day-to-day running. He's been known to sack people when they've not been up to scratch."

"Like who?" Matt asks. This is obviously news to him.

"One of the girls on reception last year, the guy that empties the bins, and the mail guy."

"But he doesn't have the authority to do that," Matt says.

"Okay, we will send a memo to all CEOs spelling out the rules for when they are in head office. I want it made abundantly clear that Matt is in charge and only answers to this office. Can you do that, please, Olivia?" I smile at her.

"Mac, can we ask all the people sacked by Calvin to contact me, and we will arrange for them to take legal action against the company. In turn, we will then take legal action against Calvin."

I look at both Matt and Stephany. "What, you are serious?" Stephany says.

"Yep."

"Holy shit," she says.

"Right, Matt, this building and its employees only answer to you. When the bosses visit, including Paps and me, we expect you to be helpful with a smile. You are not to do anything outside the bounds of the building. You are not the CEO's lapdogs, and you will expect to be treated with respect."

"When does this come into effect?"

"Ninety years ago. It's how this business has always been run and how I will be running it in the future. Do you have any questions for me while I'm here?"

"Yes, what are the plans for this building?"

"I would like to expand to give each company a base here. The only way is up. The city council, as you know, has put a preservation order on the building. Any work done will have to go through strict planning and will be closely scrutinized once construction has started."

"So, what's the procedure?"

"Olivia, would you like to explain how we are going about it."

"We will put the design alone out to tender. The winning design will get paid one million dollars and asked to oversee the complete design and planning process. It will take a year to get the designs and another year to get planning permission. Building should start in two years."

"So, the original building will still be here?"

"If we destroy the building, we won't get planning permission. The point of the tender is to get ideas on how we can do this."

"Thank you, Mac, for being so candid. Is there any chance you can join me for the staff meeting we hold every Monday so I can introduce you?"

"Sure, why not." I look over at Emma, "do you want to come, Em?" She nods in response, and I turn back to Matt. "What time?"

"Just before lunch, around quarter to one in the staff room. Your Uncle should be gone for his extended break by then, and we can shut the front desk."

"See you at quarter to one then." Matt and Stephany get up to leave.

Stephany turns as she gets to the door. "Mr. Carter, are you the Mac from Tik Tok?"

I laugh, "yes, but could you keep it to yourself."

"But you're so good."

"Thank you, but I am destined for other things. The music is just a hobby."

She smiles and follows Matt towards the lifts. I look at Paps, "I forgot to ask. Has anyone picked my truck up?"

"No, I rang Mr. Moody and said you cannot pick it up but should be there before Christmas."

"Thanks, Paps."

It's a little before a quarter to one. Emma and I walk into the staff room in the basement and take a seat to wait for everyone else to arrive. The ones that are early eye Emma and Me with interest. I'm a little surprised word hasn't got around.

Matt walks in and smiles at me. "Do you mind sitting here?" He indicates two chairs at the other end.

We get up and change seats. More people come in, and Stephany waves as she arrives with the other reception staff. I smile and nod in response.

"Good afternoon and thank you for coming. Before we start, I would like you to meet possibly the most important person I will ever have the privilege to introduce. Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like you to meet Michael Carter, your CEO." There are a couple of gasps, then a ripple of applause as everyone looks over at me. "Michael, would you like to say a thew words?"

I stand, "Ladies and gentlemen, first of all, I would like to introduce my girlfriend Emma and would like you to treat her with the same respect you do me." I smile at Emma as she goes a little red. Taking a deep breath, I continue, "I find myself looking out on your faces and am ashamed to say there aren't many I recognize from the last time I graced these halls. Although our company has grown nationwide, I still believe that we are a family-run business. If you read any of the company's prospectuses, you will see the same core values at every single firm. I was saddened today when I witnessed the arrival of my Uncle. Gone have the days when there was a smile and warm handshake. In its place, I saw fear and mistrust. This isn't the employees' fault, but a failure of the management. I stand here in front of you today and apologize for not being here sooner. My family's absence has been deeply missed, and I promise you that this will be addressed. You might have also heard rumours that we will be redeveloping the building. At this moment in time, we will be looking into plans and ideas to do this with as little effect on the original structure as possible. Fundamentally it will be down to the planners to approve our proposals, and only then will we be able to proceed with our plans."

"Thank you, Michael. Are there any questions?"

The man who came in with Stephany coughs and then states, "you obviously are still a little young and won't take over fully for a couple of years. What are the goals for yourself and this building?"

"This building has always been the hub of first the Carter and later the Walker and Carter Empire. It will continue with that, but once the building is finished, we hope to have no shared rooms and a staff representing each factory on-site. As for me, yes, I am still eighteen and will be going to University in the fall. I will be studying several subjects, including a business degree. I don't officially take over for a while but intend to be here when I can."

A woman says, "you mentioned you want to change things here. What do you mean?"

"C&W was built on a family-owned business basis. We used to see everyone who worked for us, whether part of the management or the person who delivered the mail, as family. Everyone should be treated with equal respect. This place, in particular, is not affiliated with any part of the group and should be classed as neutral ground. You guys provide a service and should be asked, not told to do things. It has been brought to my attention that several employees were dismissed without authority or due process."

"So, who has that authority?" Another employee asks.

"The only person that has authority is Matt here. The day-to-day running of this place is his responsibility. If I have an issue with one of you, the due process is to report it to Matt. He will then decide what is to be done. The same thing goes for you as well. There will be a memo going out in the coming weeks explaining this. I will ask all employees here to have a copy."