Murder Close to Home: Carmine -Edit

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We'll get through it, lover."

"Okay, love you."

"I love you too, lover. Hurry home."

Mike watches the morning rush hour traffic build up around him and swears. He hates to come close to Vancouver at this time of day and is glad when he pulls off the freeway for the Mary Hill Bypass and the terminal. He drops his load in the incoming line up and goes to park his tractor

He notices that Ernie's tractor is parked already so he must have made it in ahead of him by an hour or so. He parks and leaves the rig for his car in the parking lot. Coming back to the rig he unloads his laundry and garbage then heads home.

It's warm and bright now so he pulls over and puts the top down on his '69 candy apple red Mustang. He loves his car and admires his reflection in its bright paintwork. Then it's back behind the wheel and he's homeward bound.

Mike lives in Abbotsford in the Fraser Valley of British Columbia. He lives in a condo on Marshall Road just around the corner from MSA Hospital. Today he drives home by way of the highway north of the Fraser River to Mission then across to Abbotsford. It is a bit farther than the freeway but a much nicer drive on a clear warm day.

He is anxious to see his wife and family. Mike's in his early thirties and so is Marlene. They have four children and one on the way. His oldest three are Richard who is just turned thirteen, the firstborn known around home as Rick. Then there is Shelly who turned ten in July, the golden haired apple of her father's eye and then Janet whom they call Jan, who is the youngest of the three at nine. The last of the four is Emma, the baby at ten months and now Marlene is in her third month of a new pregnancy.

He pulls in the driveway behind his wife's Buick LeSabre station wagon. Ahead of the wagon is their trailer, home for the winter from the private club where they keep it during the summer. He brings his overnight bag to the house leaving his sheets and pillowcases in the trunk with his briefcase. Marlene waves from the kitchen window as he goes by on his way to the side door. Marlene is a tall brunette (only four inches short of his six foot one) of old Scottish stock.

Mike puts down his bag inside the door and pulls off his boots before going up the two steps to the kitchen. She meets him for a kiss and he bends her back in his embrace. She lets her body go, trusting him completely to not drop her.

He sets her back on her feet. "How's the sweetest gal in all Abbotsford today?"

"Glad to see you home, lover. Lunch will be on shortly. This morning's paper is there." She nods towards the table. Mike takes his bag to the stairway and leaves it by the step coming back to sit and look over the front page of the paper. Watching for a chance he quickly catches her apron string as she goes by and gives it a tug.

She squeals and grabs the falling apron then reties it. "You're like a child! Behave!" She brings him coffee and he slips one hand up under her skirt. She wiggles her hips and says, "Scratch up higher." He does and she grins, "Higher!" He chuckles and reaches her panties scratching her crotch. She smiles, "Scratch there!" then she laughs pulling his head between her breasts and shaking them back and forth.

He looks up at her and she leans down to kiss him. "You don't know the word behave, do you?"

Lost in the kiss they titillate each other for a spell then she goes to put on lunch for him. "Are you going out to the office after lunch?"

"I should check in with Connie." Connie Van Houghton is his office manager in the head office of his business, Trike Services, Inc. She is also the security chief for his Abbotsford office. Before her marriage to Albrecht Van Houghton she was Sgt. Constance Brinkman of the RCMP detachment in Clearbrook. She is now on maternity leave and after she has her baby in November she will be officially taking over her duties for Trike in the spring but at this time she is unofficially looking after things for Trudy and Mike (Trike) when she feels up to it.

Marlene rolls her eyes, "I was hoping to ravish you after lunch."

"I won't be late."

"Uh huh, but the kids will be home from school later."

"Where's Emma?"

"Sleeping. I had her out to the park this morning so she fell asleep when I was trying to feed her. She's in her playpen." Marlene sits with him to have some lunch.

After lunch Mike sorts out his dirty clothes and puts them in a hamper for Marlene. He takes his overnight bag upstairs and puts it in the bedroom. When he comes down he sees she has taken his dirty clothes on down to the laundry. He calls down to her, "I'll be back early. Just going over to the office."

"Okay lover." He can hear she's in her new sewing room that used to be his office. He leaves and waves to her through the basement window as he goes by. He heads out to the Abbotsford Airport and his new Head Office.

* + *

Carmine is home for lunch as well. Cindy is silent as he eats. Finally she says, "Why do you come home? Can't your bitch feed you?"

"What?"

"You heard me."

He grips her arm across the table, "I asked you what you said!"

"Carmine, stop! That hurts!"

Shoving her sideways so her chair almost goes over he snarls, "Stop being so snotty then!" He lets her go and starts eating again. His son stares at him.

Cindy says, "Eat up your food, Neil." In her mind she tries to remember if Carmine still has that pistol in his dresser upstairs. She wonders if she should check or if she might need it to protect her children. She resolves to check after lunch when he lays down on the couch as he usually does when he's home.

The phone rings and since she is closest to it she lifts the receiver. "Hello." She listens.

"Hello?"

"Hello!"

Carmine snatches the phone from her. "Hello?" He can hear someone breathing on the other end. "Hey, asshole! Give it up!"

He slams the receiver down. "When did those calls start again?"

She watches him, "Just this last week. Are you going to change the number again?"

"Shit no, it's too much trouble letting everyone know my new number."

"What are you going to do?"

"Hang up on them! Christ woman, do I have to tell you everything?" He glances at Neil, "What are you looking at, boy?"

Cindy says quickly, "Eat up your lunch, Neil."

Carmine slams his fist down on the table, "You heard your mother, eat! You don't waste good food around here that costs hard earned money!" He gets up and hangs threateningly over the boy then goes off into the front room. "I'm going to lay down. Keep that kid quiet!"

Cindy desperately catches his hand and whispers, "Don't cry, you'll make him mad. Eat your lunch."

* + *

Mike pulls in the airport grounds and drives down the first service road passed Mainline Helicopters to the building he has refurbished as a head office. He drives quite a ways to the rear of the building where other cars are and gets out. He stands watching them paving the area behind the building.

He walks up along the side of the area with his briefcase in hand and takes his time watching the pavers. He noticed on his way in that the front was ready for paving as well. As he nears the side door behind the entrance annex he sees workers there putting finishing touches to the artificial brick finish on this end wall.

The back wall is still the original sheet metal siding but he notices the windows his contractor has punched into the downstairs to light up the staff area. The overhang over the side door is completed but he knows the patio part on top isn't finished yet. He goes in the side door.

All is quiet in the wide hall so he wanders down to the lunchroom. No one is there so he retraces his steps back to the entry and turns right to the next door that takes him into the entrance annex next to the public restrooms. The solid marble floor under him feels good and he goes up the marble steps to the public reception area.

He sees a chunky looking young man sitting in a comfortable chair in front of the windows. As he looks around the place reminds him of a bank with the marble floors. "Mister Claymore, good day sir."

It's their young receptionist, the first employee he and Connie hired for this office and she greets him from her desk behind the counter.

"Good day, Miss Jacks. Is Mrs. Van Houghton in?"

He steps to the counter. The receptionist says, "She is but she's on the phone. Should I buzz her?"

"No, just let her know I'm in when she gets done. Thank you, Laura."

He goes on to the end of the counter and into his office he shares with Trudy when she's in town. He looks around and sees she's been here sometime recently. He can tell her touch. He takes the chair behind the desk and opens his brief case. Rolling back to a file cabinet he looks and then pulls a file.

Comparing notes from his pad he jots into the file new entries. There is a rap on the door and he says, "Come."

It's the receptionist. "Would you care for coffee, sir?"

"Mike, please when we're in private. Yes please, Laura and thanks for asking."

She smiles, "I'll bring it right in, Mike." She closes the door. Mike looks after her and wonders how she is panning out. She seems to be efficient. He knows she is covering a lot of ground as receptionist, secretary for Connie and general girl Friday around the offices. As long as the office is not too busy she is covering well. She returns with his coffee.

"Who is the young man sitting out front, Laura?"

"An applicant for the security officer position."

"Is Mrs. Van Houghton doing interviews today?"

"She has three this afternoon, sir."

"In the boardroom?"

"Yes, would you like to sit in, Mike? I could ask her when she gets off the phone."

"I'll ask her when she gets done on the phone."

"Okay sir."

She leaves and Mike tries the coffee. He is surprised she has it fixed just the way he likes it. He thinks she is turning out very well. He digs into the file again. His phone chirps and he picks it up listening to the last of the message.

"Mike Claymore here."

It's a female voice, "Mr. Claymore, you don't know me but I would like to hire your services. Do you investigate fraud and embezzlement?"

"Uh, that's usually a police matter, ma'am. May I ask who is calling?"

"I have reason to believe an investment company here in town is being embezzled by its accountant, the wife of the Office Manager. Surely that would interest you."

"As I said ma'am, unless a client of ours was involved it is not something we normally get into unless requested by the police. I could give you the name of an officer in the local detachment that looks into these matters."

"Why don't you just fucking listen? I know she's screwing the clients!"

"Ma'am, who is this?"

The line goes dead. Mike looks at the phone and pulls his phone directory from its drawer. He looks to see how many investment houses there are in town. There are eighteen of which four are smaller private houses. He shrugs and puts the directory away.

"Mike?" It's the intercom and it's Connie's voice.

He pushes the button, "Hi Connie, how are things going?"

"Come on in. I have a surprise for you."

"Okay, be right there."

He folds up his files and closes his case. He goes to the interconnecting hall door and stops in the washroom to check his appearance in the mirror then goes on to her door and raps. He hears her call, "Come in, Mike." He opens the door and steps into her office.

He raises a hand, "Hi Connie, don't get up. How are things going with you?" He grins, "You don't have to go to the hospital right now, do you?"

She gets up and comes around the desk pointing towards her patio door. They step out into the fresh air and she takes a deep breath. "I wish he would come today!" She rubs her large stomach and Mike is caught once more by her height. As he steps out with her she is almost on an eye level with him. She steps to the railing. "I have a candidate coming this afternoon who says he knows you. His name is Roger Epstein. Does that ring a bell?"

"Epstein? Hmm, that's familiar. Where was he working in the past?"

"Hospital security in New Westminster."

"Oh yeah, at Royal Columbian Hospital, he was head of security there. I know him. He's good. How come he's looking for work?"

"Cutbacks and he took early retirement. He says they have bought a nice place in Mission with acreage but he finds his retirement income needs some extra to make it."

"You better go back in and sit down. He has my vote. Would you like me to sit in on the interview?"

He helps her in but she stands leaning back on the desk and insists he take her chair behind the desk. He chuckles and humors her by sitting down. "Is this a new chair? It certainly is comfortable with these padded armrests."

"That's the surprise I wanted to show you." She grins.

He bounces in the chair and says, "Really comfy, I bet it helps your back."

She licks her lip and says, "It's designed to do wonders for me, that's for sure." She comes around and pulls him sideways to the desk then steps close in front of him. "Those armrests lift up out of the way. Try them."

Mike looks down at them and tilts first one then the other one up and back. He looks up to find she has hiked her skirt up and is straddling his legs. She puts one arm on either side of his head and moves closer sitting in his lap astraddle him. She whispers, "How does that feel? And it's a lot more private than the First Aid Room downstairs."

Mike looks around, "Uh, love the doors are not locked you know."

She smiles and reaches back pushing a button under the edge of her desk and he hears two small clicks. "They are now." She presses the intercom.

"Yes, Mrs Van Houghton?"

"We are not to be disturbed until I tell you, Miss Jacks. Mr. Claymore and I are in conference."

"Yes ma'am. You're one thirty appointment is here ma'am."

"Damn!" She pushes the button, "We will conclude our business quickly then. I will let you know."

"Very well, ma'am."

She stretches her arms over his shoulders and surges her pelvis against him. "I got the chair and had the locks installed for you. Do you like them?"

He grins, "What's not to like?"

"Oh, I feel so naughty! If we only had the time."

Mike settles his hands on her hips and steadies her as she undulates on him breathing excitedly. "We'll have the time."

She whispers desperately, "I can't after I have the baby. You could get me pregnant again." She kisses his nose, "I wish this one was yours sometimes." She hesitates, "I am so naughty. You do that to me." She tries to get up off him and he helps her.

She smiles at the tent in his pants, "I have to do that interview. I don't think he's our type of material. Do you want to do it with me?"

"Is Ram that busy?"

"Yes, he's working long hours." She picks up a cover with a pad in it and checks the contents for pen and guide. "Will you hit the button?"

He finds the button under the edge of the desk and presses it. He hears the double click and gets up. She steps forward and gives him a quick kiss then heads for the main door of her office. "Later, boss."

He goes back to his office and sips on his coffee. He fingers the intercom and asks, "Laura, when Mr. Epstein comes in would you let me know?"

"He's here, Mr. Claymore."

"Thank you, Laura. What time is his appointment?

"Two thirty, sir."

Okay."

Mike gets up and goes to his door. He opens it and looks for Roger. He is sitting reading a magazine by the large front windows. He steps out and says, "Roger, how are you?"

He looks up and jumps up next. "Mike, what a pleasure. It's been quite a while since I saw you last." He extends his hand and they shake hands.

"Please come in for a moment, Roger."

Roger follows him into his office and Mike gets him seated. He sits on the corner of his desk and asks, "So you're retired now?"

"Yes, but not by choice. It was the cutbacks. Not a good situation now."

"Well, you're hired here if you want the job. I have to ask about your prejudices though."

"In what way?"

"In our current workforce and the other officer you are most likely to work with is a Sikh ex-British/Indian Army MP named Ram Singh. Is that a problem?"

Roger scratches his head, "I'd have to meet the fellow but offhand it isn't."

"He's likeable and very good at the job. I imagine you'll work well with him but I had to run this by you."

"I'm sure we'll get along. I had Hindus working for me at the hospital."

"Great Roger, I'll recommend you for the job. Please stay for your interview but I'm sure you're the man we're looking for."

"You're the boss, aren't you?"

"You'll be working for Mrs. Van Houghton. She's an ex-RCMP sergeant and she heads up my Abbotsford office."

Roger raises his eyebrows, "You don't happen to have a Mission office, do you?"

Mike grins, "Not yet. Abbotsford, Chilliwack and Langley so far."

"Where did you come up with the name, Trike Services?"

"Trudy plus Mike equals Trike. Trudy's my partner. You remember her, don't you?"

"Sweet little blonde with a level head on her shoulders? I think so."

"She heads up our Chilliwack office and is my business partner here in the head office. She was the one that pushed me into starting this business."

"What is the work?"

"Mostly fraud claims. We work for the B.C. government a lot. You know, ICBC the Insurance Corporation and WCB, the Workman's Compensation, things like that. We do a lot of work for financial institutions like the banks and credit companies searching out those trying to skip out on paying their bills and we do some private investigations for jealous husbands and wives who think their partners might be playing around on them."

Roger listens then comments, "More investigative work than security, eh?"

"Yep, but don't worry, you'll get on to it. We have a good solid library of investigative lore downstairs and the people you work with know what they're doing. We plan on training sessions in the future downstairs but so far we are just getting organized here. As you likely noticed as you came in, the building is not finished yet. We plan on an official opening the first of July."

"Wow, so I'm really getting in on the ground floor!"

"For sure you are in the Abbotsford area."

"How many officers do you have now?"

"Seven so far plus myself and Trudy spread over three locations."

Roger stands, "I better let you get back to work. It's been great seeing you again, Mike." They shake hands and Mike walks with him to the door of his office. Laura nods at him to step closer and he asks, "Yes, Laura?"

She speaks low, "Mrs. Van Houghton asked you step into her office when you are done."

"Thank you, Laura."

Mike goes back into his office and steps through the passage to her door. He raps lightly. "Come in, Mike."

He pushes the door, "You wanted to see me? How did the interview go?"

"Not too hot! If he comes back in a few years he has good potential but too inexperienced for us now. We aren't set up for the training he needs."

"I would highly recommend the next candidate. Roger was the security head at Royal Columbian Hospital when I worked on the Florence Hanson case and I worked with him then."

"Mike, he's Jewish, isn't he?"

"Yeah but it's not a problem. I spoke to him about working with Ram. He has no problems with that. Actually Ram is proud to be a Canadian and so is Roger. He was born here."

"Okay, should I interview him anyway?"

"Yes, you need to know him too, to work with him. Do you want me to do it with you?"

"If you want."

"It's up to you. I might influence your impressions."

"True. I better do it alone. I know your feelings. Unless I feel I cannot work with him he likely has the job."