Rhianna's Prom Date

Story Info
Rhianna finds friendship and understanding.
34.9k words
4.54
6.4k
8
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
luk77
luk77
98 Followers

Prom Date

Ben Carter waited for all his peers to exit the classroom. His teacher Miss Jamieson had requested he stay behind for a few minutes. It was the end of the day on a Friday and a long weekend loomed. Ben was anxious to get back home. He suspected he knew what the teacher wanted to discuss,

"So Ben, what am I going to do with you?" Miss Jamieson asked. She was an older lady with a kind smile and seemed genuinely concerned for Ben.

Ben looked at her with a downcast look. "I don't know Miss," he replied.

"Ben you are a star track athlete and are assured a place at a good university this fall. But, one of the conditions of this place, is a GPA average of 2.8. Right now you are borderline. You are especially low in mathematics. Is there anything troubling you?"

Ben looked at Ms. Jamieson forlornly. "I don't know Miss. I do find some things hard to understand."

"Well, we can't have you lose your scholarship. I have discussed this with your maths teacher, Mr. Robson, and also with your athletics coach. We have come up with a solution. We are going to pair you with another student who is brilliant at maths. Perhaps you both can communicate so you get a good understanding. Agree?"

"Yes, Miss. But I don't have time for that. I practice three days a week and we have meets at the weekend." Ben was pleading his excuses. The fact is he didn't understand mathematics and he didn't think anybody could help. His parents had tried private tutors but Ben didn't make a connection and did not concentrate. The last thing he needed or wanted was to have some smart students talk down to him and start rumors in class and school.

"Ben, I understand. But if you don't attain the passing grade, you will lose your scholarship. So we are going to find a student to help. I'll let you know on Tuesday after discussions with your other teachers. We want you to succeed but you must get that scholarship. Have a good weekend."

The conversation hadn't taken long. Ben gathered his backpack and left the room deep in thought. Ms. Jamieson was right. But try as he might, Ben just didn't get maths. He exited the building worried about his scholarship. As he ambled toward the large entrance to the street, he saw a small crowd at the gates. They were mostly girls, laughing and joking. 'Good for them,' he thought.

As he approached he saw a bunch of girls surround another girl with taunts. Ben was mild-mannered and had been the butt of many jokes early in his life. If not for the fact that he discovered his athletic talents on the track that he would never have gained any confidence.

"So do you have a big or small cock?" he heard a girl ask. "You don't have a bust. But maybe you make up for it with your mouth."

Ben looked at the small group and saw some girls surround Rhianna, a new girl in school. She had just transferred here. He didn't register their comments but recognized one of the girls taunting her as one of the track cheerleading squad. The girl Rhianna was surrounded and was crying. Ben was torn: he had been bullied in his early teens because of his slim stature and knew the taunting he had endured. This all changed when he discovered his talent for track events and became the fastest guy on the track. He didn't have many friends in school and didn't want to get involved. He knew exactly how Rhianna was feeling at that moment though. Something drove him toward the group.

"Linda, stop it," he yelled. He recognized the lead tormentor. She was one of the girls on the cheerleading squad.

"Oh, look who's here," Linda retorted. "If it isn't Mr. Track Star himself. Found your voice have you?"

Ben walked up to Rhianna who had two tracks of tears rolling down her face. She was as tall as Ben with a slim figure and mop of curly hair in a high bob. Her light, coffee-colored skin indicated mixed parentage. He grabbed her gently by the arm and broke through the small group.

"Be nice to her," Linda yelled. "She may have some hidden surprises for you."

Ben ignored her and still holding Rhianna's arm walked away from the group. Rhianna had not uttered a word,

"Don't worry about them," he reassured her. "They're just bullies. You OK?"

Rhianna nodded, blew her nose with a tissue and dried her tears. "Thank you," she said softly.

"I was bullied when I was younger. I know how it is. They'll find somebody else soon," Ben said with confidence he didn't feel. "Where do you live?"

"37812 Edgewater," Rhianna replied softly. "I can manage, thanks."

"Oh really. Mum and I live on Edgewater too but farther down on 41063. So it's on my way. Mind if we walk together? It's only about fifteen minutes. You're new to Winslow High, right?"

"Yes, it's nice to have company. We only moved here several weeks ago. I just started in this school last week."

"Yeah, I saw you but we didn't talk. I am Ben Carter. Welcome to Winslow."

"Thanks. Rhianna Johnson," she replied softly. "Just finishing off my year before I go to college in the fall."

"That's great. Where are you going?"

"I've got a place at Mesa College."

"Wow. You must be smart."

"Oh no. My dad was smart and got me interested in maths when I was very young."

"That's good. I am not so good at maths. I envy you."

"So, Ben, where are you going to college?"

Ben's face lit up. "You will be shocked. I got a full scholarship to Mesa too if I make my GPA average."

"Hey, I am happy to know someone at Mesa." Rhianna's face broke into a small smile.

"Well, to be honest, Ms. Jamieson was talking to me today after class. I am struggling with my grades, my track events and things. I'd like to go there but..."

"Don't worry," Rhianna said reassuringly. "I am sure you'll make it."

They were almost at Rhianna's house. "Ben, thanks for coming to help. I am not used to that."

"Hey, no problem. We can walk together to and from school if you like. But somedays I have practice but I can let you know in the morning. 7.45 Tuesday morning? I 'll wait here." This was a three day weekend for president's day.

"That would be very nice. See you." Rhianna went into the modern two- story house without looking back. He noticed she had a slim figure much like his own. Did she do track? The front garden was small but well kept. A few steps were leading to the front door indicating the presence of a basement. The house appeared to be in very good condition.

Ben walked the remaining ten minutes to his house with a jaunty stride. At least the walk would be more interesting with a companion like Rhianna. He avoided thinking about the conversation with Ms. Jamieson. It would be a terrible blow to his prospects - and his mother - if he failed to graduate with the required grades.

Ben's mother was waiting for him. His father was in the army in the Middle East and wouldn't be back for a long time. He was very close to his mother and she was waiting for him in their modest bungalow. He didn't get on too well with his father.

"You're late," she said hugging him.

"Ya mum. Ms. Jamieson wanted to talk to me about my grades."

Ben's mother Alicia looked at him. "I know. She called me too."

"It'll be OK, mum. I'll work hard. I know I need to improve especially in maths."

"Ms. Jamieson wants to put you in touch with another student who can help. I told her to do what is possible and that you would co-operate."

"Yes, mum, I will." Ben rose from the kitchen table. "I am going for a shower," he said and left the room.

Ben took a leisurely shower and wondered about his encounter with Rhianna. He wondered what Linda was on about although he wasn't near enough to hear her comments.

As Ben came into the kitchen to help his mum prepare dinner he saw her looking at him with raised eyebrows.

"What?" he asked with a smile

"Who's Rhianna?"

"Oh, she is a new girl in school."

"Anything more you can tell me?" his mum asked with a small smile.

"Yes, well Linda and some other girls were teasing her and I asked them to stop. We walked back together because they live on the same street as us but nearer the school."

"Her mum Jacinda called whilst you were in the shower. She wanted to thank us and invited us for coffee tomorrow morning. I accepted."

"Mum. I can't. I have to practice. We have that meet next weekend and I have to be on top."

"Hmmm. I'll call Jacinda and tell her we can't make it. I thought it might be nice to meet people and for you to make a new friend."

"Why don't you go? I have agreed to walk with Rhianna to and from school." Ben appeared uncomfortable with the idea.

"No, she wanted us to meet together. They don't have a man in the house either so we have some things in common. I think it is very kind of her. Why don't you take your things with you? Then we'll meet them and you can go on to your training after that."

There wasn't much to say. "OK," Ben said with a shrug. He wasn't keen and not a very confident person and girls especially made him nervous. But he had promised to accompany Rhianna to school and back every day so he didn't want to be impolite.

The next morning Ben and his mother. Lucy left the house mid-morning. They would go to Rhianna's house and afterward, Lucy would drop him off at the track. Lucy didn't expect the coffee to last more than an hour.

The house was very well appointed with modern furniture and lighting. Large windows let in streams of light. The living room was very long and ended with a large dining table with great views of a well-kept garden..Jacinda greeted them warmly. She called for Rhianna to join them. She came out to greet them. She was not smiling and did not return Ben's greeting. The adults shook hands but the children just said 'hi'. There were plates and cups on the low coffee table with plates of cookies and small pastries.

"Lucy, would you like some coffee? Ben, do you drink coffee or something else? Juice?" Jacinda asked.

"Could I have some juice, please?" Ben replied softly.

"Rhianna, why don't you get Ben and yourself some juice?" Jacinda suggested. Rhianna led Ben to the spacious kitchen and served him juice.

Jacinda poured out coffee for Lucy and herself. They discussed the neighborhood and the places of interest, shopping and entertainment. Jacinda also explained that she was a recent divorcee and that they had moved to the area to get away from their previous life. There was more to the story but it appeared that Rhianna's father was an important lawyer who had been generous in the divorce settlement.

Lucy knew that her marriage was rocky too and Ben's dad enjoyed being away from home for long periods to avoid the arguments. It was only a matter of time before a divorce would be discussed. She took an instant liking to Jacinda. They were of similar ages, status and the biggest difference appeared to be in their bank accounts. Lucy would not get the lifestyle that Jacinda had won. No matter. She had Ben and that was worth life itself.

After some chatter about the school and teachers and the common thread of Mesa University, Jacinda turned serious. She looked at Rhianna whose face became a mask.

"Lucy, Ben," Jacinda started, "there is something we should tell you. I am grateful to you Ben for helping Rhianna yesterday. Kids can be cruel and Rhianna has been through a lot. That is why we moved here hoping for a peaceful life." Jacinda paused to take a sip of coffee. Perhaps it was more to assess the reaction so far to her comments. "The simple truth is that Rhianna is transgendered. For some years now she has been through counseling and is adjusting. But despite great academic grades, her previous school classmates did not react well to her decision to be Rhianna full time." Seeing the blank look on Ben's face Jacinda paused and looked at Lucy.

Lucy looked at Ben. "Ben, this means that Rhianna was born a boy and is in the process of transitioning to become a woman." It was a difficult subject and had never been an area of discussion between them.

Ben looked blankly at Rhianna. "Are you a boy like me?"

Rhianna looked at him with that mask on her face. "Yes, I was born a boy but should have been born a girl. That's who I am."

Jacinda picked up the discussion. "I wanted you both to know this because there is no point in continuing with lies. Rhianna has been through a lot of taunting and bullying. Sooner or later kids will know. Then it may be worse. That is why I thought some months here before graduation and university would help her adjust. But we don't want to deceive anyone. I love Rhianna with all my heart and will protect her at all costs. I don't want to have her get close to people, who then find out, are offended and break off with her. That has happened and that is why we moved here. Lucy, can we take a stroll in the garden and let these two chat?"

"Jacinda yes. That would be a good idea. For my part, Rhianna is welcome in our house at any time. So please don't hesitate."

The two mothers left the room. Rhianna looked at Ben. They were sitting on separate chairs but close to each other.

"Rhianna, I don't understand what you are going through. I know about bullying because I too was bullied. I don't have many friends off the track. I would like to know more and would like you to be my friend. Sorry, I don't know what else to say. I vent my frustrations on the track and use up that energy to run. I am going to track practice after we leave here."

Rhianna looked at Ben disbelievingly. Two tracks of tears rolled from her eyes. Instinctively, she leaned forward and hugged Ben briefly. "Thank you." she whispered, "Thank you."

Ben sat there impassively. Except for his mum, he had never experienced hugs. His father had patted him but that was some time ago. He felt the warmth of Rhianna's body and the faint perfumed smell. He liked it.

"Can I come with you to the track?" Rhianna asked quietly. "I won't get in your way."

Ben looked at her surprised. Nobody had wanted to see him train. It was different at meets of course.

"Do you have track gear?" he asked quietly.

Rhianna nodded. "We bought some but I have never used them. I'll go change." She got up and left Ben seated with a blank look on his face.

The ladies returned to the drawing-room and found only Ben. They were unsure as to what had transpired.

"Is everything OK?" Lucy asked Ben.

"Everything is fine Mrs. Carter," Rhianna said from behind the ladies. "I was going to join Ben on the track." Both ladies turned and saw Rhianna in training gear with sneakers and a big smile on her face. "I am sure he will outrun me but it would be a fun exercise."

Both ladies smiled. Ben and Rhianna had each found a friend. "I'll drop you two at the track," Jacinda said. "I don't know how far it is but you can call me when you need a ride home." Jacinda went to the kitchen and came out with several bottles of water. Rhianna put them in her backpack without comment.

"It's no problem, Mrs. Baker. I can walk Rhianna home. It's around twenty minutes from here."

"Ben, I will be home and can pick you up too. So call when you are done and let me know what you have decided." Lucy was pleased with Ben's reaction although she suspected he didn't fully understand Rhianna's situation.

Jacinda dropped them off at the track. She had exchanged telephone numbers with Lucy and was happy to have found a friend. She was even more excited that Rhianna had found a friend. Ben had not said much but he had been quite clear that he had no preconceived notions. Jacinda was also sure Ben did not fully understand transgenderism. But he had the first requisite: an open mind.

Ben and Rhianna didn't say much. There was no way Rhianna could keep up with Ben. She ran some slow rounds around the track. Ben overtook her several times.

After several rounds, Ben slowed down and did stretches, He then sat down next to Rhianna who handed him a bottle of water. They sat quietly for some moments before Ben looked at Rhianna.

"What does transgender mean?" he asked quietly. "I have no idea."

Rhianna looked at him and a tight smile appeared on her face. They were sitting close together, bodies touching. Ben was in shorts and Rhianna had a tight-fitting tracksuit that hugged her slim body. Rhianna was trying to assess the root of Ben's question: sheer ignorance or some curiosity. Ben's look convinced her of his sincerity.

Rhianna's hand touched Ben's as she looked straight ahead and began. "I was born a boy in Chicago over seventeen years ago. From an early age, I preferred to play with girls and their dolls rather than boys. Luckily, we knew more girls than boys and so it was easy. I had no idea that people, including my father, thought it strange that I played with dolls rather than climb trees." Rhianna paused to see Ben's reaction. Seeing a passive face, she continued: "I was nine or ten when the girls dressed me in their clothes for a 'tea party'. I remember clearly how the adults laughed as I pranced around quite happy to be a girl. At Halloween that year I asked my parents if I could dress as Snow White. My father was mad and shouted in the house. His anger was not directed at me but at my mother for encouraging such behavior in me. I remember how he left the house banging the front door. My mother sat down with me and explained that my dad wanted me to be batman or something. Mum then asked me how I thought Snow White should be dressed. I went to my room and brought out a book I had read and showed her a picture of Snow White. She asked me if this is what I wanted. I said 'yes'. Mum explained that some boys might laugh. I didn't care. I wanted to dress as Snow White. So mum bought me everything and I went trick or treating with my friends. They all loved my costume. They said I looked pretty. I loved how I looked. From that day on, I used to dress sometimes as Snow White when I played dress-up with my girl-friends. "

Rhianna looked at Ben who hadn't said a word so far. He had that same passive look on his face. Rhianna reached for his hand which he didn't retract. Sensing approval to continue, Rhianna began.

"Of course as we got older my friends changed. Some had moved away. The other girls and I continued as before. I didn't get to dress frequently but as the girls began to buy more fashionable clothes and use makeup, I wanted to be like them. Emma was my closest friend. She asked me to come with her and select clothes for her 13th birthday. Her parents gave her money. Mum also gave me money to buy clothes. Emma saw this very nice dress in a lavender color. She loved it. I liked it too. Emma saw my look and suggested I buy the same dress but in pink. I loved the idea. Not for s moment did I think anything about a boy buying a dress. We tried the dresses and I was amazed at the feeling of the soft material. I bought the dress and matching shoes as did Emma." By now Rhianna was firmly clasping Ben's hand. He didn't pull back but continued to look passively at her, his face a mask. Ben reached for the bottle of water and took a big swig. His left hand was still firmly in Rhianna's

Ben could see the questions in Rhianna's face. "Did you like it?" he asked finally.

Rhianna tightened her grip on Ben's hand. "Yes. I loved the feeling. When mum saw what I had bought she was shocked. Dad was spending less and less time at home. This was not just because of me. I think mum and dad were having problems. I heard them shouting often." Rhianna also gulped some water, her right hand firmly holding on to Ben's.

"There was no way I was not going to wear that dress to Emma's birthday. Mum helped me and drove me there. Everybody at the party was shocked except Emma. She knew I would be coming in a dress. She took my hand and introduced me as her friend Rhianna. She took me to her room and applied some lipstick on my lips. I looked fantastic. Then we went back to join the others. Nobody made any comment and all accepted me as Rhianna. I had a good time. At that moment I knew that I should have been born a girl." Rhianna's grip on Ben's hand tightened.

luk77
luk77
98 Followers