Stay Lady Stay

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Was it a long time later, or maybe no time at all? Matt looked at Avery Curry--dead in the gutter and recoiled. As his rage subsided and he became cognizant again of everything around him, he was appalled that he'd killed someone even as he also knew that it had been necessary. His mother, brother and his baby sister had been in danger. He had to stop the madman.

Sarah's screams of terror accompanied by six-year-old Patrick's screams of panic and Joy's crying had drawn Jude out of the house. He saw Avery in the gutter with Matt still attacking him. Livid that Avery had attacked his wife, Jude took a moment to be ungentlemanly. He kicked Avery firmly in the balls many times before hugging Matt, forcing him to stop the onslaught.

The tumultuous commotion had caused neighbors to call the cops and they soon arrived. But, apart from his family's screams, the street seemed to be unnaturally silent to Jude. As he stared at the scene the entire world seemed to fly away. He was floating away and growing smaller.

Matt's world was growing fuzzy and he fell to the ground. The pain from his shoulder was white-hot and it was spreading through his body. Matt was aware that he was bleeding...a lot. He passed out. Matt vaguely was aware that Jude was picking him up and carrying him somewhere. Matt was worried about his Mom, brother and baby sister. They needed taking care of. Who would take care of them if he couldn't? In his delirious state he even forgot his strong stepfather was there. He was aware the cops and EMTs showed up, but quickly passed into unconsciousness.

Paddy was scared when the mean man pointed a gun at his Mommy. She'd just been telling him to hold her hand while crossing the street and now the mean man was yelling angry words at her. The mean man pointed a gun at Mommy. Paddy knew that guns were bad. They could kill you. He saw it on TV.

What if this mean man killed his Mommy? What would happen to him? What would happen to his sister? He was only six and didn't know how to take care of a baby. Paddy burst out crying. The battle between Avery and Matt was over too soon for Paddy to register amidst his frightened tears.

The next thing Paddy knew he was at the hospital, his entire family was at the hospital.

Jude attempted to soothe the crying Joy while Sarah panicked about Matt's shoulder. He was going to be okay---just an overnight in the Intensive Care Unit and three months of physical therapy with a shoulder bandage.

The doctor's assurances meant nothing to Sarah. Her baby boy had been shot; her baby boy had been shot saving her. Ten-year-old Matt had saved everyone! She barely let the doctors take Matt away to be bandaged.

Meanwhile, Paddy was sitting in a chair next to Jude sucking his thumb. He hadn't done that in years. He was still worried about Matt. Would Matt die? People died in hospitals---he saw that on TV too. Would Matt go to jail? If you shot somebody you went to jail.

Matt teased him but Paddy loved Matt. They were brothers! He didn't want Matt to die or go to jail. Paddy was six years old. He knew something serious had happened and could no longer be comforted by a soothing lie.

The next thing Matt was aware of was waking up in the hospital with both his Mom and Jude hovering over him. Worry filled both of their eyes.

"Matt! You're alive! I am so happy you are still with us. I couldn't believe it! You saved me and Joy! You're our hero! Oh, you're never leaving my sight again!" she cried his mother as she peppered him with kisses.

Jude had been standing behind her holding Joy. He placed his hand on Sarah.

"Sweetheart, I told you he was going to be alright, that's what the doctor said. Our boy is alright." stated Jude as he kissed his wife on the cheek. Meanwhile, he crossed himself, something that he hadn't done in ages, grateful onto the Heavens that Matt was alive.

Relief, warm sweeping relief, glorious relief swept over Matt. He no longer had to be the sole protector of his family. Jude, his father, could aid him in that. He was sure Jude loved Sarah and her children. They were a family now.

Matt realized at first that he thought his stepfather would yell at him because that was what his biological father would have. Matt had braced himself for a verbal onslaught.

Matt was surprised when he now fully understood he was protected by his stepfather. No adult, apart from his Valkyrie of a mother, had stood up for him before.

"Avery Curry was greedy and cruel," Jude told him. "Don't pity him or feel bad. Matt, you're full of love, loyalty and innocence. You saved your mother and baby sister. You were very brave. Your courage won out. You're a better man than me. I'm so proud of you, my son."

Avery Curry was dead---vanquished by a ten-year-old. The EMTs confirmed it. The evil man had been nothing but a self-serving egotistical asshole.

The cops basically told Jude that no charges would be pressed against Matt. The neighbors had confirmed it was a matter of self-defense as Matt had saved the lives of his mother and sister. It was all too much for Matt. He broke down and cried tears of joy. Jude embraced his son and comforted him. Father and son sat a long time in silence as a family.

Matt yawned. He was tired and wanted to go to bed. Matt had a stream of visitors in his hospital room. People from Spotlight--other news outlets, everyone was glad to see the end of Avery Curry but Matt was relieved that his family was safe.

Still, part of Matt felt sick and humiliated every time he thought of killing Avery. He had taken a life. That was wrong? Matt lay awake for hours, staring at the hospital ceiling worrying about his deeds. Even now, hatred for Avery Curry still coursed through his veins.

Suddenly, Jude--his stepfather appeared to him. "Your Mom's nursing Joy. She wanted me to come check on you. I'm so proud of you. You saved everyone's lives today. Don't think twice about Avery Curry. He doesn't matter. He was a scumbag and only cared for himself. You did a good thing Matt. I'm so proud of you." Jude bent forward as he kissed Matt's forehead.

Ever since his asshole of a father left, Matt had night terrors, long twisted minutes of horror, where he tried in vain to protect his Mom and brother. Since his Mom had met Jude, these terrors had dissipated a bit. His Mom no longer seemed stressed or woke up with black eyes like she had when his biological father was around.

Despite, the abuse inflicted by his biological father, Matt's Mom always held her boys close. She would put breakfast on the table for them. Tell them stories of fairy realms and happy endings. His Mom would see them to the school bus and make sure they had a good day. Matt deeply loved his Mom. Matt supposed he should have known that his demons would follow him. Demons always did seem to come back.

Joy had been whimpering for a while and just then started to cry louder.

"If she's hungry, I can get you some donated breast milk." said a nurse to Jude. Now, Jude had a problem. Sure, he'd seen Sarah feed Joy but he'd never fed a baby. Sure, he could ask the nurse to do it---but it was time for him to Dad up! The nurse got Jude a bottle of donated breast milk, while it was adventurous of Jude and Joy, she was fed and burped.

The breast milk is on the house, I have kids of my own. It's all donated anyway." said the nurse. Jude briefly thought about how there were assholes in this world like Avery Curry and there were kind caring people like the nurse and mothers who donated the breast milk.

"My tummy hurts!" complained Paddy. It was the first time he'd spoken in hours.

"The cafeteria is on the 5th floor. It's open 24/7." said the nurse as she hurried off to see another patient.

It was time for Jude to Dad Up again! He looked at his phone. 8:45...no wonder Paddy was hungry. He knew Sarah wouldn't leave Matt's side so it was up to him!

"Let's go get something to eat." said Jude. As he took Joy, Paddy and the donated breast milk up to the 5th floor.

"What's 24/7 mean?" questioned Paddy as he helped himself to a cheeseburger, fries, and red Jell-O. Jude got a coffee and a bagel. Joy cried again and Jude soothed her. This parenting thing was more stressful than he thought.

"What's 24/7 mean?" Paddy asked again, his mouth full of cheeseburger.

"It means it's open all day and all night and all week," said Jude matter-of-factly. His adult mind was full of a million questions. Did Matt need an attorney? Did he need physical therapy? Did he need counseling?

"So they can have cheeseburgers anytime they want? Lucky them!" said Paddy as he yawned.

It was 9:30 past his bedtime. Jude knew that nothing would rip Sarah away from Matt, he texted her that they were going home. Jude took both Joy and Paddy home. He made sure that Paddy brushed his teeth and changed into his pajamas. He got up to feed Joy several times during the night. Matt and Joy came home the next day. No charges were filed. He would need three weeks of physical therapy. His arm would be in a sling for 4 months. Matt was angry because he couldn't ice skate or skateboard for a long time.

Over the next few days light and laughter filled the small apartment where Sarah and the boys now lived with Jude. There were outpourings of jubilation and spontaneous celebration. Later, there would be time to talk and deal with "everyday concerns".

Hours, days, and years in which to be a family. Certainly, woes would arise but they would be faced, dealt with, and would dissipate along with the painful sadness of the past. Happiness would come the way of the new family and grow as their love grew. It looked like a happily ever after future.

----------------------------------------------------------

(I would like to thank my very experienced editor for his editing, his research, and his medical knowledge. We have done our best when commenting remember none of us is perfect).

This is my entry in the Valentine's Day Story Contest 2023. I would really appreciate you taking time to rate and comment. I write to tell good stories, but it would also be very rewarding to win a prize.

Thank you very much.