Two Rings and New Beginnings

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I realize that the things I have just described, the distinctions between the personalities of these two might not be as apparent to my readers as they were to me. Perhaps this is something I need to get better at. One comment said that it was unfortunate that we didn't see more of the marriage before this conversation at the table. As I continue to write stories, I will keep in mind that sometimes hinting at meanings or implying my characters' nature through their actions might not always be enough for my reasders to understand them.

The final theme of criticism that I see in these comments is negative towards Sam. Some have written very cruel things about her and called her some harsh names. As someone who feels compassion for Sam, I find this a bit heart-breaking. When I was growing up, I was always told that "Money can't buy happiness." As an adult, I don't agree with that. I've the past decade and a half in a semi-constant state of stress over making ends meet financially, being able to pay bills, feeding the people who rely on me, ensuring that I have a home. I have frequently felt like I am on the verge of drowning, working multiple jobs at a time, losing sleep and making one sacrifice after another to ensure survival. I don't believe for a second that I would not feel happier if I had enough money to feel comfortable.

Jay is someone who clearly recognizes that feeling of desperation Sam had, and he has tremendous compassion. Was money only reason they were together? Of course not, but Jay could see that is Sam is in constant struggle, and he doesn't want her to feel that way.

In an ideal world, one in which I certainly do not live, people would always be able to choose the life they want to have, without pressures or outside forces making decisions for them. It often doesn't work out that way. Sam has the opportunity to decide what her life is like, and Jay, like myself, doesn't believe that she should be stuck in a situation solely because of a choice she made when her mindset was very different than it is now. Being married to Jay is not what she wants and that is what matters.

Here's the thing I find most interesting about the reactions to this story. Jay holds no ill-will toward his wife. He is understanding and compassionate toward her, but for many people who read this story, that is not enough. People are offended by this woman's actions toward Jay, even when he is not. They blame her when he doesn't. I suppose I don't have anything in particular to say about that, but it's interesting to me. It makes me wonder how many women have been blamed or treated poorly because they ended a relationship that wasn't what they wanted, and how often that blame or cruelty has come from people who were never involved in that relationship in the first place. It's another thing I'll be thinking of in the future.

Again, Thank you so much for the time you have given to my words. Thank you for expressing how this story made you feel and sharing your comments. It truly does mean a lot to me.

-Dani Aart