Witness for the Prosecution Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Laura: "As to the Hispanic Team, Michael Carlena is the grandson of a major Cartel figure, and he will begin making a lot of noise if his grandson does not turn up and get legal representation. And the current State Department will likely get involved and force the DEA to stop hiding them before too long."

"And the Black Team?" I asked.

Laura said "To be candidly honest with you, I don't understand why they weren't just left in your custody while the other teams were taken. I see the prurient interest and the value to various Federal Government agencies of the Hispanic and Asian Teams. But the Black Team? I have nothing that suggests their value to anyone. And I fear that they may be regarded as 'collateral damage', and will come over all dead while in Federal custody, so sorry."

"If memory serves me correctly," I said, "they had ties to Stubbs & Wheaton Venture Capital, LLC, and also to the Big Boy companies that are the Corporate half of the Swamp Frog cabal. Maybe the Black Team is more of value to them than the Government half of the Swamp Frog cabal.

"That's a thought." Laura said. "But then I'm left asking 'How so?'. It's not like they escaped custody; they're not free to rejoin Public Society. If the Corporate Elites wanted them, it would've been better for them to make plea deals and maybe even get full immunity and be released."

"I agree." I said. "But... what if they did try to do that? And Savannah Fineman rejected their offers? Or more likely, what if their own Defense lawyers didn't bring their offers to the Prosecution?"

"Why would they do that to their own clients?" Laura asked, and I could see her trying to make her brain work behind her eyes.

"I dunno." I said. "Except that the same Gresham & Mason legal beagles were working for all three teams, which should and ordinarily would be verboten. And Max Chambliss totally failed his client Maribel Isadora, and maybe it was on purpose."

As I put on my uniform jacket, I said "Would you mind talking to Paulina, and see if she can find out if the Black Team asked Savannah Fineman or anyone in the D.A.'s Office to cut a plea deal?"

"Sure." Laura said. "What are you going to do, if anything at all?"

I said "I'm going to make some phone calls, see what I can find out about where those perps were taken...'

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On the way back to the office, I stopped by Beverly's Flower Shop and had Beverly send some roses to my wife at her office. Beverly also reported that the Flower Shop was doing very well.

As I left the Flower Shop and went to my Police SUV, my personal iPhone rang. I answered it, then said "Meet me at my sales office next to Town Fitness Centers." After disconnecting, I headed northwest to Town Fitness Centers.

I parked in the alley behind the building and let myself into my little security equipment sales office in the elbow of the building. While waiting for my guest, I called my ace-in-the-hole confidential source about all things Town & County Government: The Intendent, Adele Peabody.

"Hi, Don, yes I can talk." she said when she answered.

"Hi Adele." I said. "I need to know if you know something. It's about the Toyota Gang perps. We know Savannah Fineman cut a deal with Maribel Isadora, and forgot to get the U.S. Attorney in on it. But did any of the other perps or their lawyers ask Fineman or anyone in the D.A.'s Office for a plea deal, and if so, were they rejected, and why."

Adele said "I don't know; I didn't hear anything. I'll check around. What I do know is that Savannah and Chip Blake, who was Michael Carlena's attorney, met a number of times... for lunch. And Savannah would be gone for most of the afternoons that she met him. I can't blame her for that; he's a good looking guy... though not as handsome as you. I thought they were working out Maribel's plea deal."

"Okay, thanks." I said. "And if you find out anything, let me know... and I'll take you to a nice lonnnng lunch."

"Mmm," cooed Adele. "I can't wait to feel you coming inside my pussy."

"And I can't wait to have those legs of yours wrapped around me while I drop my load into you--- oh, someone's here. I gotta go. I'll call you. Take care."

I disconnected and looked up to see Melina Troy Allgood coming into the office via the same back door I had. "Sorry to interrupt your phone call. Who's the lucky bitch getting your load?"

"Ohhh, a confidential informant." I replied with a grin.

Melina said a bit wickedly: "I know Laura lets you play, but why didn't you cheat on me when we were married?"

"Hmmph!" I breathed. "Look at you. You're all a man could want... or handle."

Melina grinned at the compliment. "Well, I suppose you're wondering why I called this meeting. Is what I heard true? Daniel is trying to force you out of the TCPD?"

"He denies it." I said. "But actions speak louder than words. You haven't talked to him?"

Melina said "No, not about all that stuff. And it wasn't for lack of asking on my part. It's hard to believe he'd cave in to the nig--- uh, the 'woke' mobsters, though. He has no love lost for them. Are you going to sabotage his next Mayoral campaign?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "It's up to him. He better get his head out of his fourth point of contact, or else he'd better find new lines of work."

"That might even be for the best." Melina replied, somewhat cryptically. "But enough of that. What I wanted to ask you is if they're going to force the Council into equal representation... which will mean total Democrat dominance of the Town, and of everything if they remain yoked together."

I said "I truly have no idea yet. And no matter what happens, there's going to be litigation in the Courts. It could be years before things are resolved."

"It only took weeks to bring one of the Toyota Gang groups to trial." Melina countered. "Doesn't that in itself raise your hackles?"

"Oh, it does." I replied. "And there is something that maybe you can help me with. I need you to find some people, determine where they are."

"The Toyota perps?" Melina asked.

"No." I said. "Lindsey Black and Karl Coleman. I need to know where they are, and as soon as possible."

"I'll see what I can find out." Melina replied...

Part 6 - Cause and Effect

3:30pm, Wednesday, November 17th. I returned to my office at Police Headquarters. I made a call to Eddy the Bounty Hunter, and left a voicemail message for him. Then I went to the Chief's office. He had me come in and sit down.

"Dennis Gartman transmitted his formal recommendation to the Council to settle the lawsuit with Anthony Wilson's family." the Chief said. "Yuuuu-sually that means negotiating and having a clause that the Town & County, the Police, and you as a named Defendant admit no guilt or wrongdoinnnng."

"I sense there is a 'but' coming." I said.

"You sense correct-leeee." drawled the Chief. "In this case, Gartman recommends that the Council force you to drop your countersuit, and if you do not, to settle by accepting blame, and in particular declaring that you are to blame. He also recommends that if you do not drop the countersuit, your indemnity should be revoked. I know you have additional indemnity insurance that will protect you financially, but Gartman is formally recommending you be declared guilty of using excessive force to harm a, quote, 'unarmed black man', unquote."

Chief Moynahan: "The Mayor is calling a special Council meeting for tomorrow night, specifically and exclusively about this issuuuue. The Sheriff says that's a formality so that they can create a 'Committee of the Whollllle', which will allow them to proceed more informally, and more privately, and then have the 'Come-to-Jesus' session at next Tuesday's Council mee-tnnnng."

I nodded. "Thanks for letting me know, sir. And I'm sure you already know I'm not going to drop the countersuit, and indeed will convert it to a free-standing suit or file a new one if the Council settles instead of doing the right thing and fighting it."

"Even if it costs you your job, your career?" asked the Chief, much more incisively.

"With respect, Chief," I said firmly, looking him dead in the eye, "what's the point of having this job and this career if I'm held back from doing my job, and told I'm wrong when I do it? And how am I supposed to lead Police Officers that don't have the support of the Town & County Mayor and Council?"

He had no answer...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I went back to my office and began looking at the Toyota Gang case files, when I heard a familiar noise:

*Whirrrrrrrrrrr*

Commander Tanya P. Muscone drove into my office and parked on the dime glued to the floor. Following her in was Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, who took her normal seat next to Tanya, in the far-side hot chair. Cindy Ross sat down in the near-side hot chair, making this a full-fledged Angels meeting.

"Busy?" Teresa asked

I said "I've been reviewing the whole Toyota Gang case, trying to answer some questions..." My voice faded off.

Breaking my reverie, Teresa said "Why don't you tell us your questions?"

I said "Okay. But don't try to answer them, just hear them. First, the elephant in the room: why did the Feds come in and grab all twelve of the perps before we convicted them of the State crimes?"

"Maybe---" Tanya started, but stopped when I cut my eyes in Carole-'ish' fashion to look at her. "Sorry." she said.

I said "I believe the answer to that question leads to what the Swamp Frogs's real motive and purpose is. And I believe it must be because of the Gangs's crime sprees. And I'm coming to the conclusion that one of their crimes was not like the others---"

The door to my office flew open, and into the room hurtled ADA Savannah Fineman, wearing a white dress and white pumps. She was followed by D.A. Miriam Walters, who was wearing a navy blue dress and matching pumps.

"You've gotta help me!" Savannah all but screamed out. "I promised Maribel Isadora protection, and the Feds aren't giving her any! Any at all!"

"Do you know where she is?" I asked, my voice severe.

Miriam Walters said "We've been working with Chip Blake and Edward N. Parker to find them, and to help Maribel. We're all pissed at what the Feds did. We got a tip that the Hispanic Team was taken to the Federal Prison south of Acropolis City, in the State to our east. The prison has denied they're there, though."

Savannah wailed "Look, I know I messed up. But I never wanted this to happen to Maribel. She wasn't lying when she was screaming that they'd kill her. Please! Help us!"

"Grrrrr..." I growled, then fished out my Police iPhone. I speed-dialed Jack Muscone's number. It went to voicemail immediately. "Jack, I need you to call me back immediately. This is an emergency."

As we waited, I said "Who gave you the tip? And do you know where the other gangs were taken?"

Savannah said "Chip Blake got the tip and contacted me. I went straight to Miriam, and we came here after checking with the prison."

I picked up my cellphone and tried Jack Muscone again. It went to voicemail. "Pick up the phone, Jack!" I said too loudly. "This is urgent! Lives are at stake!" I waited 30 seconds, but Muscone did not pick up nor call back.

"I'll take a shot." Tanya said. She took out her Police iPhone and dialed her husband. "Straight to voicemail." she said, then left a message to call back.

"Can you call him on your personal cellphone?" Savannah Fineman begged. She turned to me and said "Can you make her call him on their personal cellphones?"

I said "No. I won't order her to do that, no matter what." Both Miriam and Savannah looked at me in sheer disbelief.

"I'll do it." Tanya said. She brought out her personal cellphone and speed-dialed her husband's personal cellphone. When it, too, went to voicemail, she said "Jack, this is urgent! I need you to call me back ASAP!"

Her cellphone buzzed; it was Muscone calling her back. "What is it?" he asked curtly.

Tanya put her cellphone on speaker and said "I'm here with Don, Teresa, Miriam Walters, and Savannah Fineman---"

"Where's the fire?" Jack asked. "I'm in a meeting---"

"Listen, Jack!" Tanya ordered with no small amount of authority in her voice. "They have a tip on where Maribel Isadora is, and her very life might be in imminent danger!"

Jack's voice said "That's what we're meeting about. We found her and the Latino Team, in the Federal Prison near Acropolis City." Then he paused and said "But she's not in imminent danger."

"Ohhh, nooooo." I said as I fell back into my chair, fully understanding the inflection of Muscone's voice and the true meaning of his words. "They got her, didn't they?"

"Yes, Dog." Muscone said. "They got her. Maribel Isadora is dead..."

To be continued.

Dear Readers, based upon this chapter and some previous stories, you have all the clues to determine what is going on. Why did the Feds grab the perps right out of the trial? What is their motive, and their target? Answers in the next chapter... same Crowbar channel, same Crowbar time...