All Comments on 'Women Filmmakers and Submission'

by DeniseNoe

Sort by:
  • 2 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
The dark side of sexuality

Thanks for the reviews, Denise. I found them, like the subject matter, thought-provoking. I remember reading an explanation, by a writer in this site, on the joys on sado-masochism, submitting to another completely; the trust that that involved and the sense of freedom that it provided. I was not convinced, but came out of it with a better knowledge and understanding of our psyche and sexual nature; how we as humans are good at glossing over the darker side of out humanity with a veneer of respectability.

The films looked at how average people react when place in extreme situations, devoid of society’s mores. It’s all about survival and, with a few exceptions, in the animal world males rule. The real twist is how these same people react once they’re back in “normal” society.

Cheers,

Ange

fourthwirefourthwireover 15 years ago
Submission in the 21st century

Denise, thanks for writing this particular essay. I have not watched either of the two films that you mention, however I would like to point out a couple of relevant issues worth mentioning:

- Dr. Laura Schlessinger recognizes the harm done to our society by hardcore feminism from the perspective of her own involvement in feminism during her younger years.

She recognizes that hardcore feminism is not fighting for equality if it ever was.

The movement is now attempting further domination of rights, privileges, and entitlements, while avoiding equivalent responsibilities for women.

- Paul Anka was harassed by feminists in the seventies until he changed the line in his song that you mentioned to "Having our baby...." from "Having my baby".

Many American women, even many Western women bridle at the mere hint that they ought to be submissive, which is not particularly surprising since they have been brainwashed into believing that they were "oppressed" before womens' liberation freed them from the jaws of the evil patriarchy.

That two female filmmakers wrote and directed films where female submissiveness was shown in a positive light does not particularly surprise me.

And I'm not certain why you find this noteworthy except perhaps as a counterpoint to the numerous films created that show women resisting submissiveness to men with this resistance shown in a positive light.

At any rate, thanks for once again dissecting someone's creative work, and analyzing it for us. You are really rather good at it.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous