Christmas in the County Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part 11 - Epilogue

"Your daughter will not go to bed." Laura said as I got to The Cabin. "She insists on talking to you." I looked over and saw Carole, still dressed in her white pants and sweatshirt, petting Bowser in the greatroom. The red crowbar was on the floor next to them.

"Okay, then." I said. "I'll talk to her." Then I said more loudly: "Do you dogs need to go out?" The speed with which two outstanding dogs materialized at the door astounded me.

"Come on, Carole." I said as I went to the backdoor. Carole got up.

"Here you go, Daddy." she said, offering my red crowbar back to me.

"Hold on to it for tonight." I said. "You earned it, and you need to get used to carrying it."

We went outside. The dogs went to do their business, and I turned off the outdoor Christmas tree so we could look over the Town.

"So," I said as we sat down and huddled on the metal mesh loveseat, "what did you want to talk about?"

"Daddy," Carole said, "there really is no Santa Claus, is there?"

"Hmmm." I said. "You know, this is a conversation I did not expect to have with you for two more years."

"But here we are, Daddy." Carole said.

"But here we are." I agreed. "And this is another secret you have to keep, and not talk about. Don't ruin it for your brothers and your sister and your relatives and friends, okay?"

"Okay, Daddy." Carole said. "So it's true?"

I said "Well, I'll put it like this: yes, we buy the presents and put them under the tree. So there is no Santa Claus that brings you those."

"So why do people keep the lie going?" Carole asked.

"Tradition." I said. "Parents have been doing that for their small children for many years. And it's fun, for us parents as well as the kids. And then kids get older and grow up, and learn the truth, but the Season still goes on."

"And remember this, Carole: 'Santa Claus' isn't really a lie. Santa is about a lot more than just bringing presents and putting them under the tree. Santa Claus is about the Spirit of Christmas, about the spirit of giving gifts, like the Wise Men gave gifts to the Christ Child."

I finished up: "So in that way... yes, there is a Santa Claus, and you have the right to believe."

The dogs came back, and I told Carole to take them inside and get herself ready for bed. She went on inside, carrying the red crowbar with her.

A moment later I heard the door open again. Sheriff Griswold, who was staying over with us tonight, came out on deck. He had two glasses and a bottle of bourbon with him. He poured two drinks, handed me one, and sat down in the chair to my left.

"Well, Crowbar," he growled, "you did it." He extended his arm and we clinked glasses and drank our shots.

"Team effort, sir." I said. "A lot of people did it."

"Har." said the Sheriff as he poured us another shot each. "You know something? Those bastards of the Fascist Left... oh, the Media tries to say the Right Wingers are the Fascists, but the truth is that the Left Wingers are the true Fascists... they try to suppress us with intimidation, threats, and fear. That bastard Nance uses threats of jail and abuse of the judicial branch to force his politics on an unwilling People. He expected us to obey, out of fear."

"But you did not fear him." the Sheriff continued. "And because of that, you found the way to get around him. And then your leadership kicked in, that rare and special power to bring others with you in your righteous Cause. Crowbar, I have never in my life been as proud of another human being as I was proud of you tonight. You even had Teresa singing on Christmas Eve. Teresa... singing!... on Christmas Eve!."

I smiled. "Yes, that was something special to see." I said. "And we could not have succeeded without you, Sheriff. You stood right up to Nance, like no one else could."

"Yeah, and I enjoyed it, too." said the Sheriff. "When you made me run for Sheriff, I didn't know if it was the right thing to do. And when my wife got sick and then died, I really wondered. But tonight... I knew I was in the right place at the right time, and I was glad I ran for Sheriff. But I also know that my job was easy... because you'd led the way already, and was fearlessly using the Power of the Crowbar for righteous reasons."

"You're making me blush, Sheriff." I said. "And we've got a long day tomorrow. Why don't we go back inside?"

We stood up, but as I turned to go the Sheriff put the palm of his hand on my chest and looked right up at me.

"Before you come in, Crowbar," he said, "I want you to take at least one full minute, and celebrate this for yourself. I want you to think about what you have accomplished."

"Yes sir." I said. "Kids are happy, Townspeople are happy------"

"Crowbar, I want you to feel me on this." the Sheriff admonished, interrupting me. "I want you to think for one minute, just one minute, of your own accomplishment. Sure, those sick kids are happy and have hope now. Sure, Teresa is so much happier now. Sure, you stood up for the Constitution. But I want you to think about this win for you."

"It was you that made it happen, Crowbar." the Sheriff went on. "Reminds me of a story that Ronald Reagan told, that he got into politics because of the movie 'Mr. Smith Goes to Washington'. He said he realized that one man could make a difference. And tonight, Crowbar... one man made a difference. One man. You."

He turned to the door. "Now celebrate that win, Crowbar. And have a good night."

"Good night, sir." I said. I turned back and looked out over the Town. As I tried to obey his instruction, and celebrate the win within my soul, I noticed that the lights of the Town blinked in a certain pattern.

*Do you hear what I hear?*

I felt a strange euphoria fill my soul. Yes, I thought to myself, I had done it. I had seen what to do, and I had made it happen. I felt good for everyone else, but I let myself feel good for me, for just that one minute. And as I looked up at the sky, I observed the stars twinkling in the same pattern as the lights of the Town.

*Do you hear what I hear?*

And with that joy in my soul, a joy beyond even the Christmas Spirit, a joy that is a rare thing to experience, I turned and went back inside...

Finis.


12