I'll Always Catch You Pt. 02

Story Info
Hannah was about to throw her life way until Jim caught her.
26.9k words
4.73
15.7k
44

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 03/26/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
rwsteward
rwsteward
956 Followers

Dear readers. This is the most complex story I've ever done. It's over 60K words long. That being said, no volunteer editor would touch a story of such length. So, I'm sure there are typos and missed used words. Try to keep the pissing and moaning to reasonable levels. Please enjoy part two of 'I'll always catch you.'

Chapter Thirty-one

With the New Year right around the corner, Becky and her boyfriend Bruce, invited us along with some of their friends to celebrate the New Year at Bruce's cabin. There were about a half-dozen people there, all around our age, and we had a grand time as we watched the ball drop in Times Square. We spent the night, and on the first day of the New Year, we ate sauerkraut and pork, pumpkin pie, and I stuffed myself with stale left over Christmas cookies.

Everybody seemed to be mulling around in the kitchen, helping clean up our New Year's feast. I decided I'd sneak another cookie and wash it down with a Diet Coke while I watched random snow flakes tumble from the sky. I had just popped in the last bit of cookie when Bruce walked over to me.

"Hey, um, Jim, ah...could we have man-to-man talk? Between the two of us right now."

"Sure, what's on your mind?"

He looked around, and when he was sure no one was within earshot he continued, "You know Christmas with the blizzard and all. Well to make a long story short, Becky and I were more or less snowed in."

"Yup, know what you mean. I was in the same predicament at my parent's house."

"Becky had a rough time. She cried most of the holiday. I didn't know you two were lovers. She dumped on me about her last boyfriend, too."

"I'm surprised she didn't tell you sooner, but yes we were, but that's been several years ago."

"I'm straight shooting here, Jim. I've got to know if there is anything between you and Becky."

I thought for a second or two.

"I love her like a brother loves his sister. There's nothing between us any more. If I weren't seeing Hannah, yeah, perhaps we'd try to rekindle our love, but no... As they say, that ship has sailed. She's all yours."

"I've really fallen for her. I've been thinking maybe this Spring I'll pop the question."

This coming spring will be a year since I pulled Hannah down from the cliff. I guess I should get my shit together and ask her the same question.

We shook hands. "That meant a lot to me," Bruce said, "There's something else I'd like to ask you."

"Go ahead."

"I know this girl that's in dire need of a job. I was hoping you might have a spot for her."

"Does she know anything about software coding? That's what we do."

"I don't believe so. She got let go from her job, you know how big business are, they cut back and she was gone."

I took a few sips of my Diet Coke and said, "I've been working on expanding a bit. As a matter of fact, I'm going to be moving Becky out from the front desk."

"What's Becky got to do with your expanding your business?"

"As you know Becky has that bubbly personality, and she's damn smart, too! Don't tell her, but I'm going to have Becky head up our sales team. That will leave her former position open."

"Sooo, this person may have a chance at Becky's old job?"

"Depends. I can't say for sure without seeing her résumé and talking to her. What's her name?"

"Lisa Harris."

My blood instantly turned to ice water. "Did she work for Huntington Bank?"

"Yeah, I believe so, why?"

"Always wore peasant dresses with sandals and rarely shaved her legs?"

"I ah, jeez, I don't know. Why?"

"I dated her for a while. I think she was born with a cell phone in her hand. I left under not so happy conditions."

"Man you sure get around don't you? Okay. Well it was worth a shot. She's in a bad way right now, and certainly could use a break."

"Ah, damn it. Tell her to bring a résumé in next Monday and I'll see. Don't tell her about me. I told her I worked with computers, but I never said anything about the company I own."

Bruce shook my hand once more and walked back to the kitchen. About that time, Becky and Hannah strolled over. Hannah put her arm though mine.

Hannah looked extraordinarily cute that day. All though fall, she began to let her hair grow out, and on that New Year's Day, her hair was long enough to cover her breasts. That day, she had some of her hair pulled over her left shoulder. Her white turtle neck sweater made her brown hair appear even darker. She had on ivory white dress slacks and she wore black shoes that looked like the heels were cut out of two by fours. They had a huge clunky heel to them. With her hair over her shoulder, the white sweater and pants, and those black heels sure made her look great. I know I was smiling.

"Hannah, there's some more stale cookies we found in the kitchen, why not bring them out for Jim?"

"Sure."

Hannah turned and walked away. I studied every move of her ass in those tight dress slacks.

Becky slipped her hand though my arm. "I'm going to give you some advice and you'd better listen."

"What is it now?"

"You better get a ring on her finger before someone else does. I think you're still playing around, and you're not being serious about the relationship you have with Hannah."

"There's no one else, you know that."

"I didn't mean it that way. Listen, Hannah's getting her shit together, and you'd better man up and do what you know is right. Go on, ask her to marry you 'cause if you don't, someone else will."

Chapter Thirty-two

The following Monday, everyone was back to work. I had Becky gather the entire staff in the main room where I handed out letters to each of my employees. It had been a good year, and the money I made was directly responsible because of the people that work for me. They're not only my employees— they're my friends.

Much to Becky's surprise, I made her in charge of sales. I also gave her a nice raise. She sat on the old sofa and stared at the letter.

"I don't know what to say," Becky said. "Damn, that's a lot money. Are you sure?"

"Yup, you're going to work for it, too. You've got all the sales now."

She came over and placed a kiss on my cheek and squeezed my hand. "Thanks."

I told my people that due to the extra workload, and the new business that I was sure Becky would bring in, I planned on hiring two more programmers. We were also looking for animators, as I'd like to see about doing some computer graphics for commercials. There is money to be made in that field. I even thought about some gaming for mobile devices as well.

* * * * *

Around eleven or so, Becky walked back to my little corner. "There's a woman that would like to talk to you. She said you might be hiring. What job would that be?"

"Yours."

"Oh, shit that's right."

"Is it Lisa Harris?"

"You know her?"

"That's the same Lisa that I dumped."

"No wonder that name sounded so familiar Are you going to hire her?"

"I don't know. Bring her back and we'll see."

A minute later Becky escorted Lisa back to my office area. Lisa stopped dead in her tracks when she saw my face and said, "You got to be kidding me. Jim is that you?"

"Yup, it's me. How have you been, Lisa?"

"I've been so-so. You told me you worked with computers. I thought maybe you sold them or something like that at Best Buy."

"I do work with computers, I code software for them, but never sold a one. Have a seat."

Lisa wore a simple white shirt with black dress pants. She had on black pumps. Lisa was plain looking. She wasn't the runway model I remember her as."

"So, I was told you're looking for employment?"

"Yeah, yeah. I was a victim of downsizing."

"Do you know anything about coding software?"

Lisa shook her head. "I'm sorry I don't know anything about that." She handed me her résumé. I did a quick glance and placed it on my desk.

"The woman that brought you back here is being moved up the food chain. I'm looking for someone to replace her. It's not an easy job. She is the first voice a client hears on the phone and the first face they see when they walk in. Becky knows how to dress, what to say and when to say it. She's been my right hand person for years. I trust her with my company."

"I'm a quick learner. I'm sure I could be an asset."

"Becky doesn't wear flip-flops at work, doesn't have a cell phone growing out of her ears, and shaves her legs."

"Listen. I'm sorry about that night."

I stood and said, "I'll let you know."

I shook her hand and led her to the door. Becky was at her desk and when Lisa left, Becky looked up at me and said, "You handled it better than I thought you would have. You still pissed at her for that night?"

"Naw. That's old code. I do need to find someone to take over for you. I'm not sure I want to head butt with Lisa over what she wears and her constant cell phone use."

* * * * *

That was the last I thought I would see Lisa. Her résumé looked okay. Nothing stood out either as bad or good. It was a simple boilerplate résumé you get on-line.

Two weeks had gone by when Hannah called. It seems her team made some rather impressive progress with the ion engine and she would be missing our lunch date. I told her it was fine, and not to open any fourth dimensions into another universe. She promised me she wouldn't.

It was around one in the afternoon when I stepped out of the pencil factory. For January, it was out and out weird weather. The temperature that day was in the mid sixties. There by the front door was Lisa. Apparently she was about to enter the building when I came out.

"Jim! Jim! May I talk with you?"

"I'm going for lunch."

"Give me ten. No, five minutes, that's all I need."

Boy did she look rough. Lisa's head was stuffed in a gray hoodie. She wore blue jeans and sneakers but no socks. Lisa pulled the hoodie down. Her hair was tied up in a wad on the back of her head, and stray strands stuck out like she put her finger into a light socket with the power on.

"Okay, what do you want?"

We walked side-by-side until I found a bench. There were piles of dirty snow on the edge of the streets that were beginning to melt under a bright January sun. Small streams of water trickled out from them and they ran down the sidewalks.

Lisa wasn't the same person I dated. There was clearly something wrong.

"I haven't heard back from you. What about that opening you're trying to fill?"

"I don't know if you're the right person. I've been interviewing other people. You certainly don't know computer coding."

"I see." The look on her face was so sad, I could almost feel the pain she was in.

"Jim, I'm desperate! I need a job."

I knew Lisa had worked in accounting, and I had to wonder if she wasn't taking a bit off of the top and got caught. You don't fire good people for no reason.

"What happened at the bank? Where you stealing money?"

"No. No. No. Oh God no. It wasn't like that at all."

"What was it then?"

"I got sloppy and when an outside auditor caught my mistakes, I was let go."

"What makes you think I'll hire you if the bank let you go for not doing your job? Can you give me three reason why I should?"

"I'm a good person. I make mistakes like everyone else. I learn from my mistakes, too. I'm honest."

"I don't know, Lisa,"

"I blew through my savings. I get groceries from a food bank, and I just got the third eviction notice on my apartment. I'll clean toilets and mop the floors."

Lisa dug into a tiny purse and pulled out some papers—the eviction notices—and she handed them to me.

"Are you hungry?" I asked.

"Starved."

We walked a ways until we were standing in front of a small restaurant. Once inside, we sat next to each other and I told Lisa to order whatever she'd like.

While we waited on our food, I kept looking at the eviction notices. "How long have you been in arrears?"

"Four months now."

"Where is your phone?"

"I couldn't afford it anymore."

"You're an auditor, and you're telling me you can't get work in that line?"

"It's jobbed out mostly to India. Believe me, I've tried."

"That woman you met in the office?"

"Yeah?"

"She's dating a guy that told you to bring your résumé down. How is he involved in this?"

About that time, our food came and Lisa was into her hamburger like a famished dog.

"That must have been Bruce. I didn't know he was dating anyone in your company. He's a cop," Lisa said between bites of her food.

"Yeah, I know that."

All of a sudden, Lisa put her burger down and looked me right in the eyes. "He caught me."

"Doing what?"

"Downtown at the casinos. He busted me for being a working girl in front of Jack's downtown."

"Ah, damn it Lisa, why?"

"'Cause I was broke. I had nothing to eat, and was going to lose my apartment that's why!"

"What about your friends? Couldn't they help you out?"

"Bruce got me some help with the food bank. As a matter of fact, he didn't book me for prostitution 'cause he knew I was new at the game. He left me go provided I won't do it again." Lisa let out a long sigh. "He gave me a break. As for my supposed friends, they were no where to be found when I needed some help."

I watched Lisa polish off her burger along with her fries and half of mine. I was really torn up over Lisa. However I still wasn't sure she was right for the job. The more I thought about it, I decided what the hell. If she didn't work out, then at least I gave her a try.

"While we don't have a lot of rules, and very few of them are written down, you'll have to live with them."

Lisa's eyes perked up. "You mean you're going to hire me?"

"Let's wait until you hear what I have to say first."

"I'll do anything. I'll sleep with you."

"So, I came in last behind cleaning toilets and moping the floors?"

Lisa smiled.

"First off, you'll be the first person that a client will see. So, you need to dress appropriate for an office environment. That means no flip-flops, no sandals, and no open toed shoes. It also means no bare legs."

I threw that one in simply because I could.

"All your clothing should be clean and in good repair. Also, dresses or skirts are required and neither one should be excessively short. Three inches, maybe four inches above the knee is about as high as you should wear them. In the winter, when it gets cold to the bone weather, dress slacks are fine. You still on board with this?"

"Absolutely. No problems."

"Great. Now those are the office rules. My personal rules are these. If I catch you with your cell phone on my dime, you're done. No exceptions. If you're sick, stay home. If you want a day off, ask for one. You won't get paid, but it won't go against you. If you don't show up for work two days in a row without calling in, then you won't have to worry about showing up for work the following week. Do you understand?"

"I do. I won't disappoint you. Anything else?"

"There is one last little item."

"And that is?"

"You have to shave your legs."

I must have embarrassed the fuck out of her because Lisa's face lit up bright red.

"You remembered that?" Lisa asked.

"Kind of hard not to forget a date when the hairs on my date's legs were longer than the ones on my arms."

I stood and opened my wallet and pulled out a hundred dollar bill. I gave it to Lisa. "Here, get some food, and whatever you need for tomorrow. Be there around eight. Becky will show you the ropes. Oh, and one last thing."

"What's that?"

"Don't make me regret doing this."

Lisa pushed her chair out and she went on tiptoes and placed a kiss on my cheek. "You won't, I promise."

I watched Lisa leave.

And I thought, what the hell did I do?

* * * * *

When I got back to the pencil palace, the entire crew was busy with projects. I took off my tie and went back to my little hole and sat down. It was a busy afternoon. No sooner than I had my butt in my seat when Becky came in.

"Hey boss, you busy?"

"Not at this second. What's up?"

She had me sign some papers and handed me some phone numbers of people who called while I was out. Just before she left, I handed her the eviction notices that I took from Lisa.

"I hired Lisa a bit ago."

"You did what?"

"I hired her. She needed a job. She's going through some rough times. I told her what my rules were and she agreed to them without issue. I told her to be here tomorrow to start. I'd like you to show her the strings and get her up to speed as quickly as possible."

Becky looked at the papers I gave her. "What are these?"

"Her eviction notices. I want you to contact her landlord and find out the exact amount she owes."

"And then what?" Becky asked.

"Pay them."

Becky glanced over the numbers. "That's almost four grand."

"I know. Use my personal account and not the company's."

Chapter thirty-three

Becky usually gets the day started by the time I get in. She has the coffee brewing, and scans through the voice mails, and makes sure all the printer have paper and so on. I usually get in around eight, and sure enough there was Lisa leaning over the front desk while Becky showed her how the phone system worked.

Lisa is an unbelievably attractive woman. She had those high cheek bones of a super model and from what I saw that morning, a great pair of legs. It's too bad she doesn't show 'em off, but I sure got a nice show since Lisa was leaning over the front desk.

"Good morning, ladies," I said as I took my coat off. "Any thing important going on?"

Becky was about to tell me, when she said, "Here, you tell him."

Lisa came out from behind the desk with several postit notes in her hand.

Perhaps it was the power of makeup, or the light in her face from having a new job. I don't know, but for whatever reason, Lisa looked good. Becky had on a skirt, so I knew we had something important scheduled that day.

Lisa got me up to speed with the voice mail messages and then asked, "The phone system is quite complex isn't it?"

"Let me tell you secret. The only buttons on that whole console that do anything are the ones with the worn out letters on them. It the text on the button is crisp, then that button is hardly if ever used."

Lisa smiled. I could tell she was nervous as hell by the way her eyes darted about. "I'm scared to death I'll screw up."

"It's not too bad, and once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder why you worried about it in the first place."

Lisa touched my hand. "Thanks so much." She smiled once more. "I shaved my legs, too."

* * * * *

Lisa had been working for me now for about a month. I haven't heard anything bad from anyone about her, and everyone from her coworkers to the people that come in seemed to like Lisa, so I asked her to meet me in the large open area by the corner windows. I sat on one of the old sofas when in came Lisa. I asked her to sit down. I could tell she was nervous as hell by the way she moved her hands about and several times she wiped them on her skirt.

"You wanted to see me?" Lisa asked.

"Yep, It's been a month and time for your first review."

"Did I do something wrong?"

"Naw, well a few little things, but that's to be expected. Do you have any questions?"

I could see she was thinking over something in her head when she looked over at me and asked, "Was that you that paid the arrears on my apartment?"

"Yes I did. There's a lot of stuff you need to pick up here, and you don't need to worry about having a place to sleep."

"I'll pay you back."

"No need."

"But—"

"There's no need."

Her shoulders slumped. "I treated you like shit on all of our dates, and here you are helping me with this job and everything else."

"You didn't miss out on much."

"What didn't I miss?"

"My ex-girlfriend, and my current girlfriend, told me I'm not worth a damn in bed."

The look on her face was simply priceless. I stood and she followed my lead.

rwsteward
rwsteward
956 Followers
123456...8