Milly Scott Pt. 02: The Artist and Her Young Lover

Story Info
Tragedy, recovery and love.
24.9k words
4.88
16.4k
43

Part 3 of the 8 part series

Updated 11/15/2023
Created 07/28/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a continuation of 'The New Assistant' and 'The Artist and the Cop.' It does not matter if you've not read the other stories, but it might help a little. There is a tragedy at the very start of this story which is about a grieving woman and her young friend. Then it becomes a simple love story. It includes two people who are under eighteen at the beginning, but they are not involved in any sexual activity until after they both become eighteen.

There is some mild bondage and all sexual activity is consensual. All the people involved are fictitious.

I am very grateful to Maonaigh for encouragement, critical comments and editing skills. I suggest that you read his submissions.

*****

I heard the doorbell and dried my hands on a dishtowel before heading to the door. It was Isha and another police officer in uniform, a chief inspector I think.

"Isha?" I asked.

I stepped back and Isha led the way to the lounge. I stood looking at her and had a very bad feeling.

"Milly, Jenny was on a drugs raid this morning and she's been stabbed. It's serious, she's in hospital and we're going to take you there."

I stood there with my mouth open. For just a second there I thought she said that Jenny had been stabbed. When I looked at the male officer I realised that I'd heard her correctly. "What?"

"Milly, grab your bag and let's go. Jenny needs you."

Isha sat in the back of the police car with me, holding my hand. "What happened?"

"A guy tried to run, grabbed a kitchen knife and it went under Jenny's stab vest." We were in a queue of traffic and going nowhere fast, the driver picked up the microphone and I heard him speak.

"Alpha five to control, en route to the hospital, urgent, using blues." With that the car lit up with blue lights, the sirens came on and the traffic parted for the next twenty minutes as we sped along the lanes, all the time the driver repeatedly muttered, "We need to get there."

We screeched to a halt at the hospital door and he told us to go. Isha grabbed my hand and ran through the hospital dragging me along. We reached a waiting room where half a dozen men waited, some in uniform, a couple that I knew and not one of them could look me in the eye. The chief inspector dashed in behind us and asked, "Well?"

One of the officers said, "In the theatre, boss." I turned to him, he was close to tears as he hugged me and we sat down.

Two hours passed and a doctor came to speak to me. I felt the others pressing close behind me. "Jenny has a serious injury and we've operated, but now we need to wait. There are several things that could go wrong, but hopefully, she should recover. She's being transferred to ICU just now; a nurse will come and get you shortly." She looked around the room, "Just Milly that is."

I'd never seen anyone look that bad. There were tubes and leads everywhere. There was a nurse hovering constantly and she never stopped checking or adjusting something. I was worried, I loved her and she'd made me feel whole again. Isha came in to see me and brought coffee a couple of times. I eventually fell asleep for about an hour that night but the rest of the time I was in a daze.

About nine the following morning the chief inspector, John Waters, arrived. He asked how things were. I told him what I could and thanked him for the previous day. "Jenny was one of my staff. We try to look out for each other and it gets a bit personal sometimes. I've known Jenny for a long time and liked her; that makes it harder."

A few minutes later we were interrupted by an alarm, then a second, then all hell broke loose and we were pushed out. I'll never forget the next forty minutes. I've never seen so many doctors and nurses or such frantic activity. It was clear that things were serious. John stood there saying "No, no," repeatedly.

Quiet, total and complete silence. So many faces that looked defeated and dejected. One doctor in green scrubs came over to me. "I'm so sorry, so very sorry. I've no idea what happened, we tried everything." John burst into tears before me, but I'm glad that he was able to hold me up or I'd have fallen down.

I looked around. Standing there were about a dozen police officers, they looked broken as well. They'd lost a colleague, a friend, and were taking it hard. As John led me away almost all of them patted my shoulder or shook my hand, most said sorry as if it had been their fault. A couple of them were crying.

Isha was waiting at the house when John and I arrived. She was making tea when I heard the door. It was Alan, the Vicar, he came over and I stood to hug him, as I did so I let go and I sobbed very hard. I've had a difficult relationship with religion, but not with Alan and I asked him to pray for Jenny. I don't know why but it seemed appropriate; the four of us joined hands and Alan said some nice words.

Isha stayed with me. I have no idea what I'd have done without her. The next couple of days were a blur, lots of police officers came round and they were all very kind. Mary Wilson was a regular visitor and stood in when Isha had to go away. She was married to Jenny's first Sergeant and had befriended me a few years earlier. She understood. There was talk about the funeral but the police made all of the arrangements and I was grateful for that.

Funeral

Victoria, Jess, Jane and Fiona arrived the evening before the funeral. I don't remember much about anything that happened that day except that I was pleased to have some more friendly and supportive faces round about me.

The funeral was a formal affair with dozens of police officers, many in dress uniform who formed a guard of honour. The coffin was draped with the police flag and it was carried by her colleagues. She would have liked that. I was in a daze, this was the second time. What had I done to deserve this?

As I walked into the crematorium behind the coffin Fiona came alongside me and put an arm around my waist. I no longer looked down on her as I had done for so many years as she was now taller than me. She smiled at me and it made me feel a little better. Her sister, Jane, was on my other side; she touched my arm and held my hand. It too made me smile but only briefly.

I don't remember much of the service or the funeral tea. Fiona never strayed very far from me and later, at home, she took me up to bed and tucked me in. The last thing that I heard was her saying to Jess, "I'll stay here tonight, just in case she needs something."

When I woke the next morning I saw Fiona sitting on the floor leaning back against the wall holding a mug of something. She saw me, smiled and said, "Good morning, would you like tea?" I nodded and she went away.

Ten minutes later she came back and sat on the bed. I was sobbing gently; she held me in her arms, cradled my head and gently rocked with me whispering words of comfort. I don't know how long we were like that but I thought about Fiona holding me. Suddenly I felt the need to move and headed for the bathroom. I stood holding myself upright by clinging onto the basin and stared at my reflection in the mirror. I looked at myself with disgust and silently said, "You really are a horrid bitch, your wife's funeral was yesterday, then you entertained 'that' thought about your niece. Sort yourself out, girl!" I never told anyone about that thought, not even Fiona, but I'd wanted her to be there to hold me, always. I was embarrassed by it.

After a quick shower, I pulled on some jeans and a sweater. When I reached the kitchen I found Victoria, Jess, Jane and Fiona making breakfast.

They were very kind to me, we chatted about the funeral and memories of Jenny. I laughed a couple of times, but I was distraught. I needed to clear my head and told them that I wanted to go for a walk. Fiona and Jane offered to come with me and from the looks, on their faces, I realised that they would probably just follow me whatever I said.

We walked around the lake and it gave me a chance to think, but I couldn't seem to focus on anything so I gave up. Fiona and Jane stayed quiet for the most part, although they did chat between themselves occasionally asking me something. I just nodded at whatever they said and I saw them look at each other, clearly, I was not making any sense. I didn't really care about anything; I just had a feeling of grief and loss.

When we got back they tried to engage me in conversation but I shut off, apologised and headed for my room. I lay on the bed remembering good things; Jenny's smile, her laugh, how kind she was, how she stared at me when I stood naked in front of her and the look of lust in her eyes. The facial expression when I made her come, the new swear words she'd taught me when I teased her. How she'd rescued me from loss and yet here I was again.

I looked up. Fiona was there checking on me, I smiled at her and waved her away. I fell asleep.

Jess had cooked some food and Fiona came to fetch me. I picked at it and tried to join in, but it was no use, I heard nothing they said.

Staying

I'd been to the loo and was about to re-enter the lounge when I heard a raised voice that stopped me. "Mum, have seen the state of her? She can barely do anything; she can't think straight, can't or won't make a decision. I'm staying here for a few days until Milly's better than she is now."

I couldn't hear what was being said in reply, but I did hear Fiona again, "You know how I feel about Milly, she's been wonderful to Jane and me. I love her; I can't just walk away and leave her. I'm staying and that's that!"

They all turned towards me as I walked in, looking as if they had been caught stealing from my purse. Fiona came to me and said, "Milly, I want to stay for a few days until you feel a bit better. Is that okay?"

I nodded, I did need someone around and Fiona would be a perfect choice. I'd been captivated by her for years, she made me smile, teased me and I loved being with her. I gave her a hug. "Thank you, a couple of days would be nice."

The next morning I got a hug from Victoria before she got behind the wheel of their car. A big hug and kiss from Jane, then Jess stood holding my hands and looking at me. She took me into her arms and whispered, "Look after yourself, remember we're a phone call away, you can come and stay any time that you want. Send Fiona home when she gets too annoying." With that, she got in the car and I waved as they went away. Then I realised that Fiona was beside me and holding my hand. She looked at me with such love. The little girl was all grown up.

Over the next few days, Fiona looked after all of the things that I'd neglected, laundry, shopping, paying bills, housework and cooking. She gave me lots of space, but when I wanted her she was never far away.

We went for walks but hardly spoke; it was just nice that there was someone there.

I'd been sitting in the sunroom simply staring. I got up to go and make tea, but as I reached the hall I heard Fiona talking on the phone, "No, she's still in a trance, but crying less each day. I know, yes I will. Mum, would it be okay if I stayed for a few more days? I'm still worried about her." There was a pause and then she spoke again. "Maybe I shouldn't have asked, I've decided that I'm staying unless she kicks me out."

I walked into her line of sight, smiled at her and gestured that I wanted the phone. It was Jess, she asked me all of the things that you would expect her to ask and then she said, "How are you and Fiona getting along?"

"Jess, thank goodness for Fiona. Without her being here I don't know how I'd feel, but I'm sure that she must have better things to do than hang around with a grumpy, sad old woman." As I said those words Fiona snatched the phone from my hand.

"Mum, I'll call you back very soon, I promise." She hung up, took me to the lounge and almost threw me onto the couch. She knelt on the floor in front of and facing me, I saw tears in her eyes, "Look here Milly, you're not right just yet. I don't think that you should be alone and I want to stay with you for a while."

I smiled at her; she'd been such a part of my life for the past few years. I'd loved her and Jane visiting me although I have no idea why they liked being here with us so much. I often wondered if I had kids of my own would they be anything like them.

"Fiona, you know that I love you being here and I'm grateful for the last few days, but you've got a life to live and a week still at school. Go home, I'll be fine."

The look of annoyance on her face was not something that I'd seen before; somehow that mischievous little girl had gone as well. Here was a mature and serious young woman. "My exams are done so there's no need to go to school for a stupid end-of-term week. As for you, you need someone here or you'll decline into depression and you know it. If you don't want me, fine, but I'm not leaving you until there's someone else here. As for an old woman? Why do you think Jane and I came here so often, we loved spending time with you, you behaved like a teenager? I'm staying and that's it, for as long as necessary."

I phoned Jess, "Your daughter has just given me a talking to and, much as I hate to admit it, she's right. I need someone and right now I'd love for her to be here for another week."

We spoke for a few minutes and I handed the phone to Fiona. I went to lie on the bed and fell asleep.

It was early evening when I woke up, Jenny was holding me. What a nightmare. I thought she was dead and then I knew that Jenny was gone and it wasn't her holding me. I was a bit dopey until I realised that it was Fiona. I felt safe and loved. She was still asleep and must have pulled a blanket over us. I rolled to look at her. I had that feeling again, god she was beautiful. If only she were twenty years older or I was twenty years younger.

She opened her eyes and looked at me. "Sorry I dozed off. You were crying when I came through and stopped when I gave you a hug. Want something to eat?"

The days drifted along. We walked, we talked and entertained visitors. Jenny's colleagues, some senior ones and those that she worked with were here almost daily. John, his wife and Isha dropped in every couple of days.

Another week had passed and Fiona was still here so I sat her down. "Fiona, I've loved having you here, but I worry that you should be home with your mum and sister. What's the deal?"

She sat thinking for a half a minute and then she spoke clearly, "Jane and I loved you from the minute we met you. Every time we came here it was great, we enjoyed being with you. You need a friend and I'm that friend. When you become someone's friend you can't turn it on and off. Right now I'm good for you. I'm not bored, I'm enjoying been here and I'm helping my good friend. Oh, one more thing, I want to stay longer but I need some clothes and other stuff."

"Are you really serious?"

"Yes Milly, I feel like a grown-up, responsible. I know that you and Jess are the same age, but you're not my Mum, you're my friend."

"Thank you, I think that I love you."

She scowled at me. "You only think that you love me?"

"No, I love you like my niece, or my daughter or my friend. Thanks for being here. I'd love you to stay. Why don't we go and speak to your Mum and if she agrees we can bring your stuff back and you can stay for as long as you like." The truth was I had that thought again, if only...

Difficult time

We drove south and I was nervous during the whole journey.

Big sister ran out to meet us and we hugged. Jane kept hold of me and led me indoors. It was comforting to be in her arms.

Jess greeted me warmly. "Thanks for bringing her home, Milly. I hope she wasn't any bother."

Shit, this might be tricky. "She was great, I loved having her and I think that she may have something to ask you about that." Fiona appeared behind me.

"Mum, Milly is good, well better. I had a great time with her, I've loved helping her and looking after her, I felt grown-up, but..." She chewed on her bottom lip, "I came home to get some stuff, I want to go back and spend the rest of the summer with Milly."

Jess's jaw dropped and she swivelled to look at me. "Jess, I thought that she wanted to come back for a couple more weeks and I wanted to ask you first. This is the first I've heard about all summer."

Fiona rounded on me, "I never said a couple of weeks. You said as long as I wanted." She turned to Jess, "Is there a problem?"

"No, but I think that we're all surprised. What's going on?"

"Mum, what the fuck? What are you thinking? What do you mean?" I'd rarely heard Fiona like this.

"Forgive me for asking but ... No, I don't think anything is going on, it's just a bit... I don't know."

Jane chimed in. "Mum, Fiona has been enjoying looking after Milly and being with her. What's the problem?"

"You knew about this?"

"Yes, Fiona spoke to me about it yesterday."

"This is all news to me." I was stunned. "Look I don't want to cause any trouble here. I thought it might be okay and that's why I insisted that we do this face to face. Clearly, I was wrong. It might be better if I go." I wasn't really thinking, but I didn't like this situation so turned to walk away, picking up my bag as I headed for the door. I was running away; I'd done it before.

I got halfway to the car before I heard Fiona's raised voice. She was screaming, she was so angry, it shook me. "Mum, you'd better fix this right now. She's your friend, your best friend and right now you're being a complete bitch and I don't like it." I couldn't make out the rest, but it was heated.

Jane chased me down the path; I was in tears when she reached me. "Milly, please come back, I can't stand you going like this, we all love you and I'm so proud of my little sister for what she's doing. Please!"

"I can't Jane, your Mum doesn't like this and I can understand. Just let me go, I'll be fine." I opened my car door. I was broken again. I'd lost two people who I loved and now I'd caused a rift in the family of people who cared for me. I just wanted to go home, to be alone and let them heal the damage that I'd caused.

Jess opened the passenger door and got in. She hugged me, "Milly, I'm so sorry. I know that Fi cares for you, we all do, but I'm her mother and I worry. Please forgive me, please!"

"Jess, Fiona's been so good for me these last few weeks. I wanted her to stay but I realise that was selfish. I tried to make her realise that. I don't want to come between you."

Victoria knocked on the car door. "I gather there has been a bit of a fall out; Jane's just told me about it."

I turned towards her, "Victoria, I've caused enough trouble here, just let me go and leave me alone damn it!" I snapped at her as I've rarely snapped at anyone, ever. She closed the door looking resigned and sad. As I started the engine Fiona appeared in front of the car and put her hands on the bonnet, tears streaming down her face, she stood there until I turned the engine off and then she got in. "Milly, I'm so sorry that she's being like that. I loved being with you and I really do want to stay for longer, I think it would be good for both of us. Please, please come back in, please."

That was hard to resist and in any case, I probably wasn't in a fit state to drive safely. "Okay let's go and talk about this."

It was an uncomfortable hour for all of us and it was Jane who acted as mediator, the voice of reason. I looked at her with pride; she was as determined and kind as her sister. We called a truce, but only because someone was going to damage their relationship with Fiona.

I spent the next day with Jess and we had some very serious talks. By the time we were done, we'd both said some difficult things but we were laughing if only a little.