Quiet, Don't Wake Him

Story Info
The wife carefully climbs into bed,… very late!
768 words
3.85
32.3k
21

Part 11 of the 12 part series

Updated 03/05/2024
Created 02/01/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story was written for the 750 Word Project 2024, below this line are exactly 750 words:

I felt her presence in the room, even though she tried to be as quiet as possible. You'd think after twenty-five years of marriage, she'd BOTHER to remember that any movement or noise near me at night makes me pop awake and alert instantly!

Twenty years in the military with all the infantry field duty dangers sharpened my nerves for self-preservation. And just because I'm retired from that life and now an IT consultant doesn't change my habits.

So, I'll ignore her as she climbs carefully into bed, and I'll allow her to remain ignorant. I intuitively knew it was hours after midnight. But I just confirmed it by opening one eye to see the bedside clock: 3 AM. And it's a Friday night!... no, make that early Saturday morning now!

You might think I'd be outraged, demanding to hear some explanation for her being out so late, but you'd be wrong. I've heard it all before over the last ten years: 'I was working on a problem at work, and I was on a roll', 'I just lost track of time', or 'I was talking to some friends at work and wasn't paying attention to the time.'

Yeah, did I mention it's THREE IN THE MORNING when she's coming home from her NINE-TO-FIVE job!? And not even a courtesy call to say she'll be late.

I've sat in restaurants (multiple times) for an hour and a half, waiting for her for our after-work dinner date before leaving to go home alone. I've had (late, waiting for her) sit-down dinners with the kids, when my wife waltzes in from work at 8 PM, then sits down to eat with us and demands that we agree with everything she has to say. We've all learned that disagreeing with her just turns into her shouting at us. 'Well, I have to shout, so you'll understand me!'

She usually comes in from work to walk past me, saying'"I'm heading upstairs to my office to do some class work" far too many times to count. (She's been working with an online degree program for the last three years for her Masters.) But I'll usually find her playing Solitaire or Minesweeper, saying 'I just need to clear my mind for a few minutes before bed.' Two hours later, she'll try the same, carefully creeping into bed, so as not to disturb me.

By the way, her attempted stealth isn't out of respect for my sleep. It's because she doesn't want me touching her and asking for sex. I know from experience that her responses will be; 'No, I'm too tired', the old headache excuse, or she's even tried innovatively and lovingly postponing it with 'Think about it. Enjoy the anticipation, and I'll take care of you later.' Of course, then "later" never comes when she starts some argument over nothing!

So, I've had only my own hand as company for the last two years, and the sex for years before that was lackluster and unfeeling. I might have used a blowup doll for all the reaction I got out of her.

Things weren't always like this between us. The early years of marriage and having young kids were quite enjoyable. But time wears us out, and changes some more than others. The last ten years were the worst. Now, after so many years of building my indifference to the hundreds of ignorant excuses and slights, WHY should I even CARE if she's having an affair? She's no longer worth the effort for me to find out!

Now you ask; 'Why would you put up with that shit for so long?'

The obvious answer is; 'I do it for our kids!' I take my responsibilities seriously. And until the last one was out of the house on their own, it was just like being in the infantry, with field duty: it might suck, but it's the job I signed up for!

But we just settled our youngest into the college dorm three months ago! So, the clock was ticking like a timebomb!

At lunch today with Melissa, she said she finally has next weekend free, with her kids spending the time with her ex-husband. And SHE booked a hotel room for us.

I wonder how the bitch next to me here will react when she comes home to carefully crawl into an empty bed? I'm expecting some kind of major fireworks show when I return next Sunday. But I still have my military issue earplugs.