‘Til Fate Do They Pt. 06

Story Info
Fate takes a hand.
1.1k words
3.58
7.6k
5
Story does not have any tags

Part 6 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/05/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'til fate do they part. Part 6 of 6 parts

The 'phone call, when it came a few days later, took me by complete surprise and I was glad that Liz was visiting her mother and wasn't due back until the next day.

It was Tony. Jayne had tried to reach John on the 'phone; but having tried a couple of times with no reply, they had driven up to John's house. They had found him at the bottom of the stairs. He was conscious when they arrived but died on the way to the hospital. Tony said that he would contact me when he knew of the arrangements, possibly tomorrow or the day after.

Liz 'phoned me not long afterwards, as she often does when she's away from home, but I chose not to tell her; it could wait until she got home the next day.

I went into work early and arranged a meeting with all staff. They were clearly upset and some drifted away to be with their own memories. He was a popular man.

When Liz arrived home, I unloaded her car and said that I'd run a bath for her, something she always enjoyed after a long car journey. I'd left a glass of ice-cold champagne by the bath and she called down with delight when she found it. I finished unloading the car and slowly climbed the stairs and went into the bathroom. Liz was laying back in the bath, the suds around her breasts. She looked so lovely.

'What are we celebrating?' she asked, smiling as she did so.

I hesitated and her look changed to one of a silent question. I took a deep breath which, to my surprise, quavered somewhat as an unexpected sadness hit me.

'John's life,' I whispered hoarsely, my eyes filling with tears, 'he died yesterday.'

Women are so much the stronger of the species. Liz didn't overtly react. She went silent and finished the last of her glass of the champagne and held the empty glass towards me. I filled it and topped up mine.

'To John,' she said, and continued, 'to one of life's good men.'

We touched glasses and each took a sip.

She asked what had happened and I told her as much as I knew. Liz was outwardly calm, but I could sense that she was affected but under control. We talked about the times that I had known with him as a colleague, a valued employee and latterly as a friend. She was so kind to me, letting me talk and to come to terms with it.

By silent agreement, we didn't mention what had gone before.

Tony 'phoned and told me of the funeral arrangements and asked if Liz and I would be there. I told him that he'd be lucky to see us in the crowd; John was a popular man and all his work colleagues intended to be there. We'd close the office for the day.

The funeral was a happy one, if one can think such a thing. John's grandchildren read poems; Jayne spoke of her kind and loving father and one of his colleagues told a couple of amusing anecdotes with accurately described John as an outgoing and generous man. There were tears, smiles and laughter in equal measure.

Liz and I separated outside as she and I had agreed prior that when paying our respects, I should be with my staff. Liz went on ahead.

Mourners had filed by, shaking Jayne's hand, and then moving on. Liz and Jayne met and then embraced. There was a pause; they stood with Jayne clasping Liz's hands and spoke for a few minutes. Jayne looked rather intense as she spoke, and Liz watched her closely. They embraced again and Liz moved on.

John's colleagues paid their respects to Jayne, followed lastly by me. She held my hand warmly and thanked me for all that I and Liz had done for John. She gave me a hug and then looked me in the eye as we both silently acknowledged our one-off time together. I joined Liz in the car. She was staring ahead and said nothing, her eyes brimming with tears. I didn't break into her reverie; I started the car and drove slowly home.

I stopped outside the house and switched off the engine. I looked across at Liz. She was staring straight ahead and clearly unaware that we had arrived home. I noticed that her right hand resting in her lap was closed in a tight grip. I reached across and touched the hand. She reacted with a start and then focused on me.

'Are you okay?' I asked.

She didn't answer; she just nodded.

I reached for her clasped hand and turned it upwards.

'What have you got there?'

Again, she didn't answer; instead, she opened her hand to reveal the lost earring lying in her palm.

'Where did you find it?' I asked somewhat bemused.

'I didn't; Jayne found it in John's bed when they were moving it to the upper bedroom.'

'She knows then.' I said, somewhat inadequately.

'She thanked me for making John happy.' Her voice breaking as she did so.

We sat silently in the car for quite some time. Tears streamed down Liz's face, but she made no sound. Eventually, we moved into the house. Without any conscious decision, we went upstairs, undressed and got into bed. We held each other, each silent with our own thoughts. Eventually, we fell asleep, waking at the onset of dawn. We'd slept for nearly 12 hours.

We made silent love; fell asleep again and arose at nearly midday.

We still mention John from time to time but never in any intimate way.

I have become the world's most considerate and attentive lover. Sometimes, Liz will bestride me and I watch her face for any sign of an impending orgasm. At times, she will lean back, supporting herself with her arms so get the maximum length of my penis inside her; she moves back and forth, her head held back and her eyes closed, probably looking for that extra length and girth, which I am unable to give her. She orgasms softly and is then still for a while; she'll slowly straighten up and open her eyes and smile at me. At that moment I know where she has really been, as there is the slightest hint of whimsy in her smile. I know then that she hadn't been fully with me.

We make genuine love to each other, but I have yet to make her cum as she did with John that one time. I know I never will, but I continue trying.

Every day I remind myself of that old adage -- 'be careful what you wish for.'