Pairs of Pumpkins #07: A Half-Baker's Dozen

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Reluctantly the children let go, Edgar taking more time than Evita and she stood, then stepped up to Anya, embracing her in the awkwardly offset way which the Pridemoon girls were learning to hug. Portia went low and the taller daughter high, breasts ballooning against her mother's face inside her blouse. "I'm really proud of you. I hope to see you again before you go off to Westerkerk."

"I hope so too but I understand if you don't, Mother. This is more important. And I'll be helping before you know it."

Portia smiled and squeezed. "You're going to do great. And I look forward to our future adventures." They separated, looking at each other for a long moment before Anya reached out to finger at her necklace and the ring looped on it.

"And maybe I get this back?" She perked, politely stifling some annoyance.

"You learn what you need to learn at Westerkerk then we'll find you some help to master this thing. There is a good reason why Fireball isn't the first spell they teach in wizard school."

"I know, I know. But it is mine. When I'm ready."

Her mother smiled and gave her a pat on the cheek. "When you're ready."

Booker stood beside Anya and Portia moved to him next. "You're a lifesaver. I don't know how I can ever repay you for helping out my family."

The mink raised a brow and gave a breath of a laugh before leaning in, scooping her up for a hug and lifting her off her feet. "You don't owe me anything, Portia." After some time, he set her down and planted a firm kiss on her cheek. "Besides, nobody moves pies like these girls."

"Not even me, ten years ago?"

"You have some competition," he joked before his smile turned awkward, just as hers did. "I mean, there was only one of you." She blinked and patted his arm firmly.

"Take good care of my kids, okay?"

He closed his eyes, blushing under his fur as he nodded and she stepped up to Marina next.

"It's only been two weeks since we first met, Mother but I must say you have made quite an impression." Her eyes told of everything that implied before they came together in a hug. "To be honest, I thought having a family was going to be a lot more boring. So far, I'm pleasantly surprised! I'll eagerly await our next reunion."

"You take care of them, okay? Especially if I'm not back before Anya leaves." Portia slipped back, bosom-to-bosom, holding her at arm's length. Marina's smile was demure and subdued but very much crooked. Her eyes flicked to Booker faster than anyone but her mother noticed. "All of them."

"Of course. Safe travels, mother."

She took a deep breath before stepping up to Joseph, her impossibly handsome son whose eyes were on the floor before her boots filled his vision. Their height difference was the most awkward one, which put him face-to-breast with his mother.

He looked up, eyes snagged on her chest for a moment before clearing his throat and finding her eyes. "I do wish you could stay with us but if I were any one of my brothers and sisters who isn't standing here today, I'd be glad that you didn't."

She leaned down to scoop him up and his arms threw around her, clutching as his weight fell against her, pushing his nose into her ear on the far side of her so the others couldn't see. "I know you have to leave to save the others but I can't help but think you're leaving because of me."

She only squeezed him tighter.

"I know it hasn't been long since we've been reunited, Joseph and I'm going already. But this is your family and I am your mother. I'll be back, just as soon as I can and we'll all be together."

"I love you, Mother."

Portia froze. Had any of them said that to her yet? Had anyone, in years? Lust-drunk fools who had tried to tempt her into a domestic life, sure. Even a few adventuring partners, shortly before they parted. No one who'd ever meant it. But this was her family. Had her own parents ever even said such a thing?

"I love you too, Joseph." It was enough that the others could hear and she eased her teenage son back to his feet. "I love all of you children." With a warmth joining the sadness in her heart, she stepped away and lifted the backpack that was set by the front door. The others didn't speak just yet, watching her slip her arms into it's straps with sorrowful eyes.

She righted herself, and reached for the door when Evita and Edgar rushed in for another hug. Joseph was next, then Anya behind and above them, all holding each other. Together.

"We love you, Mother!"

"I love you too, mother!"

"Love you, Mom."

Over the combined mass of her family's hug, she looked to Booker, who stood with folded arms and a sad smile and beside him, Marina, her mouth clenched tight and her eyes the most expressive she'd ever seen them. Was she going to cry?

Portia beckoned and she obliged, not rushing to join her family but she slipped in and squeezing them all together. Not a word left her muzzle and that was fine. When she did, she would mean it. The elder vixen leaned her head over and gave a light kiss of Marina's nose, inviting a sliver of a grin from her silken-furred daughter.

The group hug did not disperse for some time, only when an elder, possum woman tried to open the front door and found it blocked by the gathered family. They moved aside and Anya gestured for the customer to meet her at the counter.

Portia had to turn her back and face the door, otherwise she might never leave and she was halfway through it before Booker called out after her. She paused and looked over her shoulder.

"Portia! You may not be an orthodox mother," the handsome mink said with sincerity. "But you're a good one."

She held there for a moment, clenching her jaw and forcing a smile back. "Thank you." She took one more look over each of the children rescued so far before raising her hand in a wave and stepping clear of the door. The handle slipped from her reluctant grasp and slowly swung shut behind her and between them.

A block away from the bakery, she found a neglected alley and took a casual look around before steering off the main road and disappearing down it. A crate offered a seat and after a quick push to test its integrity, she collapsed down on it, taking her face in her gloved hands and burst into tears.

The End