Dan's Story

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He struggled to stand, but after he was on his feet, he stood at attention and popped a salute reminiscent of his old self.

"Better," I told him as I returned it.

I saw the tears start, "Since when do you feel sorry for yourself? The Staff Sergeant I remember would be standing outside, chewing anyone's ass that would have the audacity to be such a coward as to think he could insult the memory of his brothers- and sisters-in-arms by taking blame for something they were willing to give their lives to protect.

"You straighten your shit up, or you've lost the respect of your comrades-in-arms. You understand what I'm telling you? Or are you the coward you are showing these asshole shrinks?"

You could see the backbone growing back that he had shoved to the back of his mind.

"You think I'm a coward, Asshole? Don't you even start thinking that. I'll put my bravery against yours any day and twice on Sundays, you pencil-necked shit-wad" and took a punch at me.

I didn't move, nor did I flinch, as his fist connected with my jaw. I roared with laughter at him, it was more insult than he could take. His temper exploded and he charged me swinging a fist at me again.

"Is that the best you got? The Bellamy I recall would have been back in shape and my ass would have been on the deck with a bloody lip. Hell, you didn't even cause me discomfort?" And began to turn my back.

"Sorry LT. OOPs, Major. I see you have recovered your mouth. You're right though, I do need to start getting my ass back in shape if I'm ever going to recover. Thank you, Sir." And stuck out his hand. I took it and he said, "Excuse me, Sir." He threw his arm around my shoulder in a brother-soldier hug. I reciprocated the move. I could feel the tension and self-pity leaving him.

I walked outside with him to the astonishment of the staff shrinks. "What are you doing up, Sergeant?" a Lieutenant Colonel asked as we got to the door.

I looked at him and told him aggressively, "I'm taking him to the rehab center to speak with the PTA about a regimen to get this man back in shape before you make him a puddle of runny shit. Now back off before you force me to go to your boss."

He sputtered. "How dare you...."

"Colonel!" A Bird Colonel (a Bird Colonel insignia is an eagle with spread wings hence the Bird part) called out. "What the hell are you doing? I asked this man to come here to see what he could do to help this extremely brave man to recover, and it appears he has done as I asked. Now back off and let him do what he was doing."

The Light Bull glowered at me while Bellamy and I left for the center.

After we finished at the center and he went back to his room, I called both Sandy and Missus McMillen and asked them to come see Bellamy for a day. The next day, I picked them up at BWI. We got back just in time to have lunch with him. You could already see the difference in his attitude.

Both Sandy and Missus McMillen had tears and a smile of wonder.

"Oh, Major, thank you so much." Missus McMillen hugged me close with tears soaking into my shirt. Sandy moved toward me, and I stuck out my hand but she batted it aside and gave me a hug that would have made a Grizzley bear proud.

About that time a Lieutenant came in with a pill cup in hand. "What have you got there?" Missus McMillen asked.

"It's the meds that Colonel Masters ordered. I was told to make sure he took them with his lunch."

"I take it he wants him to take calming meds, so he won't want to overextend himself?" his Mom asked.

"He said he doesn't want you to do too much. He's afraid you'll want to go too fast."

Bellamy shook his head, "Get that shit away from me."

The LT looked shaken, "The Colonel told me I wasn't to leave until you took them."

He held out his hand and told her, "Give them to me."

She dropped them in his hand. He took the pills to the toilet and flushed them.

The Lieutenant had a spooked look. "Masters is going to blow a gasket. You are supposed to take them to help you get better."

"LT, if I take that shit, I'll never get better. Major Evens has brought me further faster than that quack leaf toter has since I woke up six months ago. If he wants me to get better, he needs to back off with his pills and voodoo horseshit."

We went to the rehab center after the ladies left.

About ten minutes later the Colonel stormed in, about to explode, "Just who the fuck you think you are? Do you have a doctorate in medicine? Have you spent years in medical school to be able to countermand my medical opinion?"

"No, sir. To all your questions. However, I do have a BROTHER (Dave was still in the Air Guard with the Air Force, attached to US Air Force Medical Command, Denver, Colorado) that I talked to, who told me the worst thing to do is over-medicate this man. He asked me what meds you were giving him, and when I told him he asked your name and when I told him, he said, and I quote, 'Tell that shithead Masters to go back to patting little old ladies and giving them your sugar pills. In the meantime, leave off on the Hero you're trying to vegetate.

"So, if you want to complain, the name's Colonel David Evens, US Air Force Medical Command, Denver, Colorado. If you need the name of my CO (Commanding Officer), it's General Davis J. Hason, USAF Medical Corp.'

"Now, get out of here and let this great man get back to recovering as he should."

The look on his face was prize worthy. He spun around and left.

Dave called later that afternoon and said, "The general called me to find out what happened there. From the way he was talking, you'd think I had taken that ass-hat's favorite toy.

"When I told Hason what was said and who I was talking about, his record of lawsuits, I told him of the scores and how he'd cheated to get grades high enough for graduating. How he paid an undergrad to help him with his thesis. He flunked his board for medical license so many times he could only qualify for psych-therapy practice. Hell, he wasn't even allowed to serve residency in an Army clinic, so you know he ain't worth a shit.

"He just shook his head and said to not worry about it, that he'd take care of it."

I contacted my command and asked to be put on TAD (Temporary Additional Duty) to the hospital until Bellamy was released to the VA at home.

I had sent Dot back home the next week so Mom wouldn't feel taken advantage of.

As I walked into the house, I was attacked by two heathens. I sat down with them and held the babies while Dot finished the supper she had started when I called from the airport.

Epilog

I stayed in the reserves until I reached my thirty-year mark. I had made it to the rank of Brigadier General (One Star).

I was a very proud dad as the kids grew up and left for college, one after the next. Dave and Jan were satisfied with the two they had, and Mom and Dad were proud of the lawyer Mack had become.

Bellamy recovered and rejoined the infantry, advancing to became Sargent Major of the Command.

Sandy and Donaldson had divorced their respective spouses and rekindled their romance.

Bobbie and Jackie finished their schooling and formed the Atlanta Yacht Construction Corporation and are building multimillion-dollar yachts that are world renowned.

I'm an old man now, pushing eighty, and lost my beautiful Dot just last year to a drunk driver while she was coming to pick me up from the office I was sharing with Jeanie, who's an office apartment complex manager.

I've reached that time that I am about to join Dot. I had a severe heart attack last night and I heard Dave speaking with the Doc. They don't think I'll last the day. I know Dave has called the family to let them know.

Well, I was right. I met my beautiful Dot when I left the hospital. She's young again and as beautiful she had been when we first made love. We are together now, and she still looks at me with mock sternness and says, "Daniel Jason Evens", and shakes her head.